PDA

View Full Version : Sign up thread for storying telling

Berserk Monk
2008-12-18, 03:56 AM
For those of you that haven't checked the Let's all tell a story thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5499629#post5499629), I've come to a realization. I may have planned this activity a little slapdash. This will be the sign up thread for those wanting to contribute to the story. Make a post saying you want to contribute if you want to add to the story. I will only be accepting volunteers until January 11 (maybe longer if there aren't that many posts). After that, I will come up with a rotation schedule so everyone will know when it's their turn to add to the story. I'll be first in the rotation since I came up with this idea. I'll keep everyone notified when the story thread is up to make sure everyone knows what is going on. Hopefully we can start this tale by February (hopefully).

Felixaar
2008-12-18, 06:16 AM
Count me in, Pal.

Mad Mask
2008-12-18, 06:41 AM
Are you saying we can't continue until February ? Because I really liked where this was going. :smallfrown:

Berserk Monk
2008-12-18, 06:45 AM
Are you saying we can't continue until February ? Because I really liked where this was going. :smallfrown:

The story will continue. This is just to establish some order. Anyway, just be patient and think of possible plot events.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-12-18, 07:43 AM
Since I'm already IN the story, I'm in too.

Gourtox
2008-12-18, 05:11 PM
I'll be better this time I swear. I sign up.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-12-19, 11:54 AM
Signing up. Suggesting we reboot the story again, due to Q's confusion and me having no idea who the woman that's being followed is, nor what any of it has to do with the church in the beginning.

Mad Mask
2008-12-19, 12:02 PM
Well, I sign up, since I'm already in. I also suggest we reboot with the same basic skeleton but making it easier to understand.

Elrond
2008-12-20, 02:07 AM
I dont really know what this is but it sounds fun so you can count me in:smallsmile:
and is anyone willing to give me a brief description of what it is?

Rutskarn
2008-12-20, 02:10 AM
I was born for this moment, and will gladly die for it.

Sign me up.

Berserk Monk
2008-12-20, 02:33 AM
I dont really know what this is but it sounds fun so you can count me in:smallsmile:
and is anyone willing to give me a brief description of what it is?

Basically, you know that game where a group of people take turns telling a story? Well, I decided to do this on the forums. This is the sign up thread for those interested in adding to the tale. However, the actual storytelling won't start until February, and even then, there will be a rotation schedule.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-12-20, 12:32 PM
Why wait that long? :smallconfused:

Lissou
2008-12-20, 01:06 PM
I'm in, and I too vote for a reboot so we can try and actually make a story. Usually these things end up chaotic and hard to read as anyone is telling a different story. I'd like it if we could make it somehow smoother.

For instance, if the first few people could make it vague, and then if anyone who posts could explain their own ideas for the future, but also, in their posts, write a few "hints" or "options" so the story can take different paths?

What I mean by that is, for instance, having a main character looked at a dog who's trying to get their attention, then enter the shop. the next poster(s) can decide whether the dog will be important or immediately forgotten, and if something more important to the story will happen while in the store (meeting a new character for instance).

Having a rotation is a good idea, although I wouldn't mind randomising it a bit. Always writing after the same person can prove to be a problem, plus it might get more "boring" than taking the story after someone different every time.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the subject.
(Also, I'd suggest having a lower limit as well as an upper one. I mean, adding just one sentence at a time would make it hard to have a coherent story, I think.)

Rutskarn
2008-12-20, 01:49 PM
If I may be so bold as to say so, why wait until February? We've got plenty of people queued up, we all know the rules. As soon as we get the basic rules of engagement sussed out, I say we begin.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-12-21, 09:12 AM
I must say I'm personally opposed to the idea of rotation as it tends to slow down the whole process until it finally falters and breaks down. By this I mean that people cease showing up and by the time it is decided the next person can take their turn everyone's been waiting so long that several other people have dropped out as well, who each in their turn cause this exact same effect until even the one who's supposed to orchestrate this event drops out, leaving behind one or two hopeless writers and the burning wreck of what once used to be a quite fast-paced and interesting storybuilding thread.

*catches breath*

Anyways, I must say I preferred the old system that had us announce a post and then gave us a specific amount of time to write this post in.

Rutskarn
2008-12-21, 01:52 PM
Well, the creativity of the internet knows no bounds. Why not try both?

We do a simple I-got-dibs-on-next system like the 'Nigma suggest for now, then in February, we start an organized rotation. Sounds like a plan to me.

Mostly because I'm eager to get going. Dibs on some early spot, if not necessarily the first! Not that I wouldn't be willing, just that I'd let somebody who got in before I did do the starting.

Elrond
2008-12-22, 12:47 AM
Basically, you know that game where a group of people take turns telling a story? Well, I decided to do this on the forums. This is the sign up thread for those interested in adding to the tale. However, the actual storytelling won't start until February, and even then, there will be a rotation schedule.
Oh ok well im in should be really fun cant wait till we start

MrEdwardNigma
2008-12-24, 04:29 AM
*twiddles thumbs*

While shamelessly bumping. Well, sort of shamefully bumping. Why else the white text, eh? Why the charade with the thumb twiddling? I tell you, I've never trusted those thumb twiddlers. They're always up to something, that lot...

Berserk Monk
2009-01-20, 06:51 PM
Alright, I know I said I'd start making a rotation list over a week ago for all those interested. I sort of forgot but am ready to start this thing back up. I'll be PM all those that responded to this thread telling them the rotation order, rules, and any other info that will be necessary. I hope to have this thing started by Feb 1.