PDA

View Full Version : What level do you suggest for this? [3.5]

Xyk
2008-12-18, 07:48 PM
Basically there is gonna be an assembly of the gods on this world. They have to locate and bring together a group of like 7 gods. I figure they will level like twice before meeting their first god. What level would you playgrounders suggest for starting? I wanted 1st level originally, but then I thought "why would gods hang around with 3rd level guys?".

Malacode
2008-12-18, 09:42 PM
Umm, meeting the Gods themselves is usually saved for Epic levels. Below tha, it's normally just a representative. That being said, IRL lvl 5 is a human prodigy which only happens a few times every hundred years, so there up makes sense to me. Besides, high level campaigns are more fun:smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2008-12-18, 10:04 PM
Eleven and up is "legendary" according to Knowledge skill's description. So start from ten, that's a nice round number. Use avatars and high priests rather than gods themselves though.

Also, don't let them use Contact Other Plane.

Singhilarity
2008-12-18, 10:50 PM
I highly reccomend including an appropriate Erisian prank, similar to that which is described here:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/24.php
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/25.php

I'm sure you have other ideas.
I felt, nevertheless, compelled to fnord,
fnord.

Re: Question.

Flickerdart's response holds da truth.
That said...
What do you want to accomplish with this meeting? The players need to gather all 7, eh?

If they level twice before the first one, it really depends on how much time they'll take finding the next 6, and what they'll have to do following the meeting.

I'd probably start them somewhere between levels 6 - 9.

Two levels will have them encounter their first god slightly pre-maturely, which allows you to play up the "awe" factor, and it leaves 'em plenty of time in the sweet zone for the following deities, and the resulting quest.

But that's me. *shrug* If they need to be able to toe to toe some other god or something, shoot epic.

Eclipse
2008-12-18, 10:53 PM
Basically there is gonna be an assembly of the gods on this world. They have to locate and bring together a group of like 7 gods. I figure they will level like twice before meeting their first god. What level would you playgrounders suggest for starting? I wanted 1st level originally, but then I thought "why would gods hang around with 3rd level guys?".

I would say it depends how involved in mortal affairs the gods of your world will be. In worlds like the Forgotten Realms, it's not unheard of for the equivalent of a level 4-5 character to have met a god, though it's decidedly rare. Of course, the PCs are rare, so that's fine if you want to go for a low power level and you can handle a plot involving gods at that level while giving the players something meaningful to do.

That last bit can be decidedly challenging, so if you don't have experience with that kind of thing, and don't think you'd pick it up quickly, I recommend starting with levels 15 and up.

RS14
2008-12-19, 12:02 AM
Well, it depends what you want to happen ultimately. I'm assuming your players will be given a major role after the gods meet, and in that case, I'd expect level 15 or so. If they're coming with some authority, I can see them fairly easily being allowed to speak with a god at any level, although they might need to show e.g. a signet ring to be allowed to. There's nothing wrong with that, but make sure they're suitably awed by the experience.

bosssmiley
2008-12-19, 03:47 AM
Basically there is gonna be an assembly of the gods on this world. They have to locate and bring together a group of like 7 gods. I figure they will level like twice before meeting their first god. What level would you playgrounders suggest for starting? I wanted 1st level originally, but then I thought "why would gods hang around with 3rd level guys?"

Who do you think the mysterious hooded stranger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin) who gives you your first quest is? :smallwink:

Seffbasilisk
2008-12-19, 05:11 AM
Depends on the accessability of the Gods in your world.

If they're Greyhawk accessible, I'd probably make it high enough level so the Wizard can cast Plane Shift twice per day...so, in all likelyhood, level 13 if there's a wizard, level 14 if dependant upon a sorcerer.

I'd also highly recommend that you let your players know beforehand that it's a quest for the Gods, so that the Wizard can put ranks in Knowledge: The Planes.

Maybe have the serviters of the Gods force the PCs to compete, complete a puzzle, or find their way through a labyrinth or somesuch to be awarded the honor of an audience with each diety?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-19, 05:16 AM
In Faerun, it is possible for a group of 5th levels to run into a god. There better be a reason he's there and does anything with them beyond say hello, but it is possible. Of course, given that parish priests in Faerun are 15th level, you quickly have to justify why no one else is already handling the situation if the Gods are involved. In Greyhawk, minimum would be 10th level, just because of how rare the gods are. Ebberron? No precedent. It even makes a point of saying that there is no proof that gods exist in that setting, let alone are reachable with less than Epic magic. What's your setting.

Triaxx
2008-12-19, 01:02 PM
Just because they are gathering the gods, doesn't mean they have to be powerful enough to summon them. What they want is to get to someone high enough in the organization to have a direct line upstairs, so they can arrange a meeting to deliver the invitation, which is quite fitting even at level 1. 3 is more than fine. Later on they can bypass the Clergy.

Xyk
2008-12-19, 06:14 PM
Basically what the gathering is gonna be:

The gods arrived on the mortal realm but accidentally got scattered. They are powerless for the time being, and it's up to the PCs to bring them together to decide the fate of the world [/slight exaggeration].

I really want to start it low-level and maybe have the gods arrive by like 7th level. I may have to invent some quests to get them to that level.