PDA

View Full Version : Doppelganger help?

Epinephrine
2008-12-18, 10:31 PM
I am planning to use a doppelganger to infiltrate a party - one problem of course is trying to match up abilities. It's not realistic that there would be a doppelganger available that can do every job; most are rogues or fighters I suspect.

In this case, I was thinking of a warlock doppelganger, and that he could use an item to disguise his eldritch blasts as the damage spells he's seen a player use. So if the player typically throws melf's acid arrows, his blast would seem like them.

A few shape invocations (cone, line) to get the right shape out of it. Gloves of Eldrith Admixture or something to lend some damage of the right type, for appearance (that way there really is a bit of heat/cold/whatever).

So, any idea what the cost of an item to disguise a blast would be? He's equipped with Spellcraft and Bluff, and could fake the spell (possibly - it'll be one way that he could slip up). I'm assuming fake spellcasting doesn't actually exist (excepting the skill trick False Theurgy, to fake that you are casting a different spell). I know that a Trinket of Trickery can allow the use of a skill trick, and is 1,000gp. Essentially, I figure he wants to be able to use a False Theurgy-type effect, while disguising the appearance of his blasts.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-18, 10:32 PM
Chameleon is a PrC based around pretending to be other classes, and fits the fluff you want.

Epinephrine
2008-12-18, 10:55 PM
Hmm, neat class, and I could see it being very good for doppelgangers. Probably a very standard doppelganger class, now that I read it. I had forgotten that Races of Destiny has more than just humans/half-humans in it.

Problem is that Chameleon imitates a prepared caster class, so it won't imitate a blasting sorcerer well (they might wonder why you cart around a spellbook, and need to sit and memorise spells suddenly). Throwing disguise eldritch blasts would fit better for imitating a spontaneous blaster (though I suppose another solution is a sorceror-type with really good shadow evocations, to imitate other spells).

Kyace
2008-12-19, 12:35 AM
So, any idea what the cost of an item to disguise a blast would be? He's equipped with Spellcraft and Bluff, and could fake the spell (possibly - it'll be one way that he could slip up). I'm assuming fake spellcasting doesn't actually exist (excepting the skill trick False Theurgy, to fake that you are casting a different spell).
The Charlatan PrC from Dragon 335 (according to Crystal Keep) uses alchemy to mimic spellcasting. It obvious spells are rather meh but how it mimics divination is rather neat. And the adaptation for Chameleon mentions that Chameleons might merely mimic spells with alchemy in some campaigns instead of actually casting. There is also a combat trapsmith in Complete Scoundral which can mimic spells quite a few low level spells as the effect of traps, it wouldn't be that hard to convert it into a alchemical splash weapon.

Malacode
2008-12-19, 01:11 AM
There's nothing wrong with a little "Because I Said So" in such situations. As a player, I don't mind when DM's use that rule for plot or flavour reasons. As a DM, I use it (But only for the aforesaid plot or flavour). Simply give the description of a Acid Arrow or Scorching Ray whenever he uses EB + the admixture. Maybe allow a Sense Motive VS Bluff too "see through" it, but there's no need for a feat when a one time houseruling could do. Even expanding the False Theurgy skill trick a little so you can disguise the appearance of your spell is fine. Turn it into a houserule the players can also take advantage of would probably prevent any resentment of said players. Remember, you're DM. As in Dungeon MASTER. Your word in the gameworld is law

Tokiko Mima
2008-12-19, 09:01 AM
Hmm.. I just have to warn you before you take a race with 4 LA and 4 lousy HD that there is a better way to do Doppleganger than simply taking the race.

Start as a Changeling, then take 5 levels of Cabinet Trickster (from Race of Eberron.) You get the same Shape Change(Su), the same Detect Thoughts (at will (Su)), the same racial skill bonuses, better save bonuses, skill points and HD, tricks you can actually use with your detect thoughts, 2 bonus feats, and you can have three levels of a different class in there, too. The only downside is you need to sink a feat (Persona Immersion) and 9 skill ranks into Disguise, you lose 4 natural armor and the +2 ability bonuses, and you'll be level 11 when you finish.

But that's Changeling Warlock 6/Cabinet Trickster 5 versus being a Doppleganger Warlock 3. Which is better? :smallwink:

Noneoyabizzness
2008-12-19, 11:31 AM
think its putting a dop in to trick the party and have it betray/kill the party when time is right. not a pc.

and if he can only mimic prepared spells, that shouldnt be so drastic am issue. unless you already said he is pretending to be a spont

wadledo
2008-12-19, 11:38 AM
Tokiko Mima, I thank you.