PDA

View Full Version : Turn Undead into something else

Leon
2008-12-18, 10:48 PM
Im possibly going to be playing a Cleric soon if my Archivist keeps being unsatisfactorily for me (tho that is partially the DMs fault)

Im looking at being a Dwarf and i'd not rate CHA highly on Stat scales for this PC anyway but was wondering what suggestions i could get for something to replace Turn Undead with

the End goal of the PC will be a Rune Priest type character (the Domains are Rune & Metal) focused on Crafting Runic items and such with levels in the Battle Smith PrC

a couple of idea's i found in a Dragon are Mystic and Weaponmaster
Mystic gives an extra spell slot of the 2nd highest spell level you have
Weapon Master basically gives the Somatic Weapon feat and a +2 to Weapon smithing (this is the one im favoring atm as it fits heavily with the idea i have)

But i was wondering what else is out there

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-18, 10:53 PM
You could just take a Divine feat and burn Turn attempts for a boost. Some of them are pretty good, and don't need any sort of investment beyond the feat. You can also trade it for Smite Evil, which wouldn't add to-hit, but would boost damage a handful of times a day.

esorscher
2008-12-18, 10:57 PM
Pick up a feat like Divine Metamagic, that allows you to use your turn undead uses for something else. But, since you don't have that many to begin with, it might not be that helpful.

The Aspirant (Cleric Variant, DR 311) swaps out Domains, Spontaneous Cure and Turn Undead for a bonus to AC and some other abilities.

The Rage Cleric (Cleric Variant, DR 333) loses Domains and Turning in exchange for Raging, as a Barbarian and with all the rage improvements (Tireless Rage, etc.) that go with it.

Crystal Keep has a pdf file, 3.5 Base Classes, that you should download.

Hal
2008-12-18, 11:06 PM
You could talk to your DM about using variant turning rules: 1d6 per cleric level, undead get a will save (DC 10 + Cleric level + Cha mod) for half damage.

Certainly simpler and probably more useful than standard turn undead rules, but it's only helpful if you know you'll be fighting the undead. Otherwise, yeah, I'd suggest a feat, such as a domain feat, that you can power with turn undead attempts.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-18, 11:08 PM
Well, if you like Incarnum, you could use the Azurin Cleric racial sub ability.

Okizruin
2008-12-18, 11:20 PM
Races of Stone has an alternate class feature for dwarven clerics. Smite Giant.

Smite Giants (Su): A dwarf cleric who takes the 1st-level
racial substitution level can attempt to smite a giant with
a melee attack, similar to the way a paladin smites an evil
creature. She adds her Constitution bonus (if any) to her
attack roll and deals an extra 1 point of damage per cleric
level. The cleric can use this ability a number of times per
day equal to 1 + her Con modifier (minimum once per day).
If the cleric accidentally smites a creature that is not a giant,
the smite has no effect but still counts as one of the cleric’s
daily smite attempts.
This substitution benefit replaces the standard cleric’s
ability to turn or rebuke undead.

There we go. And, oh, taking a dwarf cleric substitution level means Knowledge(Dungeoneering) is a class skill.

jcsw
2008-12-18, 11:33 PM
If you actually *wanted* to turn undead, you could take the serenity feat in Dragon Compendium, which makes turning based on Wis.

Assassin89
2008-12-18, 11:41 PM
There is an ability called greater turning which destroys all undead that would be turned. Depending on the domains you choose, you might receive this ability.sun Domain has this ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#sunDomain) There are also the feats extra turning and improved turning, which supplement Clerics against the undead. Include 5 ranks in religion to gain a bonus and increase Charisma in order to affect the undead.