1. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] The Grey Arcanist (Necromancer PrC / PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Hmm, how about just "Imbue Symbol"? Or "Telenecrotic Bond"?
    Perhaps. But the Symbol isn't the only feature of the current Capstone; just a large part of it.
    Well, so just use a limited set maybe? But it isn't unreasonable to give an arcane necromancer PrC the ability to cast Animate Dead as a 3rd level spell. It doesn't break anything. The only reason why I brought this up, and it is a tiny one, is that the flavor quote at the beginning is awesome, but makes no sense if they don't have access to raise dead or something similar.
    Perhaps. I'll see what fits.
    Ok. So pick higher level spells. There are around 15 or so additional arcane necromancy spells of level 6 or above. So make stuff for some them maybe?
    I was planning on it, then thought that a five level class granting you the ability to make 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th level spells even more powerful would be a little bit... terrifying. But seeing as people are for wishing this to be a ten level thing...
    Hmm, that's not obvious to me. A fair number of "scholars" seem to be chaotic neutral in behavior, flitting from task to task, researching whatever strikes their fancy. Moreover, given that in many nice societies much of necromancy is frowned on or outright illegal, people who didn't like government control would be a natural group to consider taking stuff.
    But the fluff I gave for this didn't describe a scholar flitting between tasks or carrying on random research; it was someone who was studying Necromancy almost exclusively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    Being CN doesn't mean you can't be a dedicated academic. (If it did, you couldn't have CN archivists, wizards, Loremasters, geometers..) For example, a researcher who believes that "forbidden knowledge" must be unearthed, researched, and propagated in the name of free thought would be CN. So would an obsessive fanatic who disregards all laws and social mores in the name of perfecting his mastery of necromantic knowledge.

Chaotic Neutral doesn't have to be Chaotic Stupid and it doesn't have to be flitty or dimwitted.
    No, it doesn't, I suppose.

And I'm not sure why you're bringing CS into this. That wasn't part of my equation.
    Last edited by Cardea; 2011-01-04 at 12:18 AM.
    I currently do not check the playground forums. If you would like to reach me, you can find me on twitter as HTTPaladin.