Banned

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XVII

Gotta see it all, gotta see it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Aesc Duan Dee
    Overview:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aesc Duan Dee
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br> Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Rogue 1|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |4 Disable Device, 4 Craft (Trapmaking), 4 Craft (Poisonmaking), 4 Search, 4 Open Lock, 4 Hide, 4 Move Silently, 4 Spot, 4 Listen, 4 Tumble, 4 Knowledge:Local|Able Learner|Trapfinding, +1d6 Sneak Attack

2nd|Binder 1|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |+1 Disable Device (5), +1 Open Lock (5), +1 Craft (Trapmaking) (5), +1 Search (5), +1 Tumble (5)||Soul Binding

3rd|Warlock 1|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |+1 Disable Device (6), +1 Craft (Trapmaking) (6), +1 Search (6), +1 Hide (5), +1 Move Silently (5)|Blend Into Shadows|Eldritch Blast 1d6, Invocation (Darkness)

4th|Ranger 1|
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |+1 Disable Device (7), +1 Craft (Trapmaking) (7), +1 Search (7), +1 Hide (6), +1 Move Silently (6), 4 Survival|Track (Ranger Bonus)|Spiritual Connection

5th|Swordsage 1|
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |+1 Disable Device (8), +1 Craft (Trapmaking) (8), +1 Search (8), +1 Hide (7), +1 Move Silently (7), +4 Knowledge: Local (8)|Weapon Focus: Stone Dragon Weapons (Discipline Focus)|Maneuvers, Quick to Act +1

6th|Trapsmith 1|
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +6
    |+2 Spot (6), +2 Listen (6), +4 Craft (Poisonmaking) (8), +1 Hide (8)|Darkstalker|Booby Traps, Spells, Master Disarmer, Trap Sense +1

7th|Ardent Dilettante 1|
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +10
    |
    +6
    |4 Knowledge: Nature, 4 Intimidate, +1 Move Silently (8)||Heightened Senses, Lore

8th|Ardent Dilettante 2|
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |5 Perform (Storytelling), +2 Craft (Trapmaking) (10), +1 Hide (9), +1 Move Silently (9)||Enthrall

9th|Warblade 1|
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |+2 Spot (8), +2 Listen (8), 3 Concentration|Practiced Spellcaster (Trapsmith)|Maneuvers, Battle Clarity (Reflex), Weapon Aptitude

10th|Ardent Dilettante 3|
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +11
    |
    +7
    |+3 Perform (Storytelling) (8), +4 Survival (8), Trick: Listen to This||Joie de Vivre

11th|Ardent Dilettante 4|
    +4
    |
    +7
    |
    +12
    |
    +7
    |+2 Craft (Poisonmaking) (10), +2 Craft (Trapmaking) (12), +2 Concentration (5), +3 Search (11)|Cold Endurance (Bonus)|Sense Link

12th|Disciple of Thrym 1|
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +12
    |
    +9
    |+1 Hide (10), +1 Move Silently (10), +1 Craft (Trapmaking) (13), +1 Craft (Poisonmaking) (11), +1 Disable Device (9)|Touchstone: City of the Dead|Spells, Detect Fire, Protection of Winter

13th|Sand Shaper 1|
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +12
    |
    +11
    |5 Diplomacy, +1 Hide (11), +1 Move Silently (11)||Desert Insight, Dust Magic, Sand Shape

14th|Ardent Dilettante 5|
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +12
    |
    +11
    |4 Knowledge: Religion, +2 Spot (10), +2 Listen (10), +1 Craft (Poisonmaking) (12)||Scent

15th|Ardent Dilettante 6|
    +6
    |
    +8
    |
    +13
    |
    +12
    |+4 Knowledge: Religion (8), +2 Hide (13), +2 Move Silently (13), +1 Disable Device (10)|Craft Magic Arms and Armor|Seen It Before

16th|Ardent Dilettante 7|
    +6
    |
    +8
    |
    +13
    |
    +12
    | +5 Diplomacy (10), +2 Craft (Trapmaking) (15), +2 Survival (10)|Skill Focus (Knowledge: Religion) (Bonus)|

17th|Divine Oracle 1|
    +6
    |
    +8
    |
    +13
    |
    +14
    |+2 Hide (15), +2 Move Silently (15), +1 Craft (Poisonmaking) (13)||Oracle Domain, Scry Bonus

18th|Ardent Dilettante 8|
    +7
    |
    +8
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |+3 Craft (Trapmaking) (18), +3 Spot (13), +3 Listen (13)|Poison Spell|See It Again

19th|Ardent Dilettante 9|
    +7
    |
    +9
    |
    +14
    |
    +15
    |+4 Hide (19), +4 Move Silently (19), +1 Search (12)||Blindsense 10'

20th|Ardent Dilettante 10|
    +8
    |
    +9
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |+2 Hide (21), +2 Move Silently (21), +2 Spot (15), +2 Listen (15), +1 Craft (Trapmaking) (16)|Enhanced Illumian Sigils|Death Holds No Mysteries[/table]

I wanna see the very best
    Like no one ever has
    To try things is my real test
    To feel them is my cause
    I will travel across the land
    Searching far and wide
    Find sensations and understand
    The feeling that's outside

(Sensation! Gotta see it all!)
    It's what I see
    I know it's my destiny
    (Sensation!)
    Oh, you're what I feel
    In a world I think is real

(Sensation! Gotta see it all!)
    A sight so true
    Our courage will pull us through
    You find me and I'll find you
    Sensation!
    Gotta see it all (Gotta see it all!)

"Still nervous, kid?" Aesc smiled down at the potential new Sensate, who was sweating as she obsessively checked her notes.
    "Yes, sir. I mean, what if I forget something? How can I possibly describe everything?"
    "Ah, you can't worry about that sort of thing. We know what it's like. Besides, you should savor your nervousness! Have you ever before felt quite like this? The feeling of anticipation before baring your soul to those whom you hope to make your peers? If I were you, I'd be more focused on this new feeling; there's really nothing quite like it!"
    The young candidate's eyes brightened a little bit, though her trembling didn't really get any better. "You're . . . you're right, Mr. Dee! Normally when I get nervous I get sort of a pit in my stomach, but this time it feels more like my heart's racing, with a touch of lightheadedness!"
    Aesc chuckled, his typically raspy voice making it echo a bit. "You might even want to write down what you feel about it. You really don't want to forget this sort of thing. I'm sure I've forgotten more than I can remember knowing in the first place. You don't want that, do you?"
    "No, sir . . . but you, forgetting things? Surely you don't mean that! Your stories are half the reason I decided to join the Society in the first place! In fact, you couldn't tell me another one, could you? It would help take my mind off this, and it would probably prove to you that you remember more than you think you do."
    The sigils over Aesc's head spun slightly faster as he pondered her request. "I still think that you should focus on your nervousness a bit more, but if you insist . . . let me tell you about my past."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aesc Duan Dee, an Uurkrau Illumian, grew up in a relatively big port city on the Prime Material Plane. A rogue of some mechanical skill, he drifted from organization to organization, helping out with locks and traps and occasionally pulling the odd minor heist. It was a workable (if relatively unstable) lifestyle for several years, until one such heist went a little bit too right.

Aesc had broken into the house of a minor noble and made off with a large leather book. The occult market being what it is, he knew that it would be a while before it would be safe to fence such a distinctive score. As an Illumian, Aesc had always had some measure of curiosity, so in the days and weeks before the authorities stopped looking for his prize, he decided to read the book and see what it contained.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aesc is now a 1st level rogue who acts pretty much like any other 1st level rogue. He's happier as a skillmonkey than as a combatant, but the occasional sneak attack really isn't bad.

He had been expecting spells, but instead found weird magical sigils or runes that seemed to beckon to him. Knowing the value of symbols and sigils, Aesc tried to copy one sigils to take to a more magically inclined friend, but as he did so, he was shocked to find a figure spring forth from it. A voice echoed in his mind:
    "As you have brought me life, so I bring you my favor. All I request is to feel as much as possible in the brief time we have together."

Pleasantly surprised by the new skills this entity gave him, Aesc was more than happy to accept the thing's urging to go out and sate his curiosity in every manner possible. This pattern continued for a while, and life was good. Aesc gradually gathered two things: first, that he had made some kind of pact with an otherworldly entity, and second, that doing so was amazingly easy and satisfying. Searching out other kinds of pacts, Aesc discovered that he was more in tune with magic than he had previously thought, even able to slip into darkness as others watched—or didn't—in awe.
    Spoiler
    Show

Aesc has bound his first vestige and unwittingly made some kind of warlock pact. The most useful vestiges at this level are generally Leraje (for the bonus to hiding and the free Precise Shot) and Aym (since being on fire is still a solid defense at this point, and the touch attack isn't bad if you can get into flanking). His warlock abilities give him access to Blend Into Shadows, making him even better at hiding than your average rogue.

No matter what kind of pacts tied strings to his soul, Aesc always felt one drive above any other: feeling. The vestiges, as he found they were called, just wanted to feel once again what it meant to be alive, a desire to which Aesc could relate perhaps just a little bit too well. The constant search for something new led him to take up the art of tracking, since following the trail of someone or something almost always led to something new and exciting. The animals and plants seemed to speak with him, telling him new and exciting secrets.

Of course, with this sort of reckless attitude necessarily comes some measure of danger. Following the wrong trail often got him into trouble, though none so great as the time that he got taken hostage by a raiding party of Githyanki. Aesc had accidentally followed the trail of an adventuring party who were themselves on the trail of a band of Githyanki raiders. Aesc ended up getting captured and whisked away in one of the great ships of the astral pirates.

It was only a fortuitous counter-raid by a group of Githzerai as the ship sailed through the silver sea of the Astral Plane that kept Aesc from being sold into slavery on Gehenna; the Githzerai did not particularly care about him, but were happy to do anything to spit in the eyes of the Githyanki, so he was allowed to follow them back to their monastery on Limbo and train as a novice.

Naturally, Aesc's chaotic nature did not go over too well with the Githzerai, and some part of him longed for the days of fiddling with traps and locks. It was not long after he had mastered the basics of their martial arts that he was expelled from the monastery for booby-trapping the great hall from top to bottom simply out of boredom. Aesc would later note that the traps weren't quite the same as he remembered them being when he was back home; interestingly, the weird magic entities studded throughout his soul led him to see each trap as a kind of magical sigil in and of itself, giving him access to a new kind of arcane power he never would have suspected. The Githzerai did not care about this, of course, and simply unceremoniously deposited him in Sigil as soon as the next portal thereto opened up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aesc has now taken levels in ranger, swordsage, and trapsmith. His eldritch blast and sneak attack aren't quite cutting it as much as they used to, so he supplements his skills with traps (which he usually creates while hidden, to make himself less vulnerable), poisons, and a little bit of trapsmith magic. He has Mountain Hammer, which gives him some out-of-combat utility, and the Spiritual Connection ACF for ranger allows him to speak with animals and plants three times per day, which is likely to make gathering materials for poisons easier.

Getting deposited in the Cage (as many bashers call the City of Doors) turned out to be the luckiest break that Aesc ever got. Aside from there being more to see and do than a cutter can find anywhere else in the multiverse, Sigil was home to a society of kindred spirits: the Society of Sensation, with whom Aesc immediately joined. He leapt at the opportunity to follow different Sensates on any kind of adventure at all.

Sponsored by the Sensates, Aesc traveled from plane to plane, learning more and more about what he already knew and finding out things he didn't even think were possible. In any locale, Aesc was always excited to try to meet with the natives, often learning some of their ways and leaving some of his own behind. He trained with a band of hobgoblins on Acheron, formed a diplomatic relationship with the frost giants of Jotunheim, compared the smithing styles of the dwarves on Mt. Celestia and the dwarves of Ysgard, and even returned to the Prime (to a desert just across the mountains from his hometown) just for a change of pace. Rapidly climbing through the ranks of the Sensates, Aesc's curiosity was often indulged, though never satisfied.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aesc uses Ardent Dilettante to augment his Trapsmith casting. He's fully a support character at this point and does not really care to attack his foes directly; his Warblade maneuvers are all utilitarian in nature. After taking Disciple of Thrym and Sand Shaper, Aesc lets one more level of Ardent Dilettante count toward the final level of Trapsmith casting, then dives into advancing Disciple of Thrym casting.

Feeling a new kind of magic in his soul after the affair with the frost giants, Aesc experimented with it and put it through its paces. Though icy in nature, he found that he was able to use a hot or even deserty flavor of magic with his new power. Furthermore, Aesc felt in his soul tugs of power so strong that they threatened to tear him apart; these came from at least two sources so opposite in nature that Aesc had no choice but to try them both until he had felt what they were like.

Blasts of purest good and foulest evil ripped through Aesc as he tested his new powers as best as he could. The pain that the power wracked his body with was unlike any that he had ever experienced, which was saying a lot for someone of his background. Naturally, he kept doing it, trying and failing to find words for it every time but relishing the experience nonetheless.

Wanting to know more about this, Aesc started studying the teachings of good and the teachings of evil. He eventually submitted himself to the guidance and care of an enterprising cleric of knowledge, who sought to run tests on Aesc to see what he could learn about this. Under this cleric's watch, Aesc pushed himself farther and farther, feeling the planes tug on him like children playing a game of strength. One such experiment pushed his body a bit farther than his soul could easily repair, and Aesc found himself standing in the realm of the dead.

Aesc's soul, pulled in so many directions at once, didn't end up anywhere simple; instead, he saw countless planes and experiences all calling to him and vying for his attention. More than that, he saw the connections between the planes in ways he had never noticed before; when his cleric friend had pulled his soul back into his body, Aesc understood more than he ever had in the past.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aesc has discovered Sanctified and Vile spells. He uses Naberius to heal the stat damage that they cause, making them a useful tool in his box. His efforts to understand where these spells came from led him into the Divine Oracle class, which adds even more tricks to his arsenal.

Blessed with a new understanding of how to see things, Aesc continued trying to see it all, eventually climbing to the highest levels of the Sensates. Today, Aesc still holds the distinction of being one of the first to combine so many forms of magic into one body at once, a feeling which he will try and fail to describe until the day his name is put into the dead-book for good.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-01-16 at 07:56 PM.