View Single Post

Thread: [3.5 Race] Sharnite

1. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 Race] Sharnite

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Uh... no, no they don't. Your text says "As a full-round action, a Sharnite can form this pair of windows anywhere within 20 feet of its body, each portal coalescing out of a swirl of purple motes." Unless the Sharnite is actually a 20-ft cube and no one noticed, that's not adjacent.
    You missed the last line of the ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hex Portals
    Hex portals can be dispelled, but a Sharnite can reform any dispelled hex portals as a free action on its turn. Hex portals reformed in this fashion appear adjacent to the Sharnite.
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos
    What happens if a Sharnite creates a portal next to themselves and one 10-ft from an enemy? Can they use a reach weapon through the portal against that enemy?
    No.
    A Sharnite can launch melee attacks through one of its portals by reaching through the other, but only with a 5 foot reach, regardless of the equipped weapon.
    Do they also threaten within 5-ft of that portal?
    Yes.
    While in such a position, a Sharnite threatens an area 5 feet around its other hex portal, and as such can contribute to flanking or take attacks of opportunity.
    What happens if there is an enemy adjacent to a Sharnite with a reach weapon that also has a hex portal next to them?
    Then the Sharnite can stab through a hex portal with a 5 ft reach. Proximity doesn't matter, and it isn't indicated that it does anywhere.

Can a Sharnite use hex portals to "close" the reach on their reach weaponry?
    If they're willing to devote both of their portals to doing so, yes. See above.

What about awl pikes or whips, items with 15-ft reach? How do they interact with portals?
    See above answers. The reach is explicitly defined as 5ft, regardless of the melee weapon.

If you adjacent to a hex portal, do you threaten every square *it* threatens (effectively giving you mobile threaten expansions as you see fit)?
    Hex Portals do not threaten. The Sharnite itself threatens through its portals. So, yes.

Edit to clarify: You cannot attack out of a single hex portal. An attack through one comes out the other, not itself.

What about spells? Can you cast a ranged touch spell through a hex portal, in essence using it as a range extender for your spells?
    No. The ability makes no mention of spells. It specifies melee weapons. The Spelltouched Hex Portals feat lightens this restriction somewhat, allowing melee touch spells to go through.

an you pull yourself THROUGH a hex portal (I see no reason you can't)?
    Not only can you not grapple through the other side of a Hex Portal, but there is no mention of transportation capability anywhere in the ability. No, you cannot.

Can you move other things through a hex portal, like, say, a rope with a hook on the end?
    That's a DM call as to whether or not that counts as a melee attack, and not one I can answer definitively.

If you have an object through a portal, then close it, what happens?
    There is no way to close a hex portal mid-attack. It would either be dispelled prior to the attack as a readied action, or after the attack. Paradox resolved.

If you grow extra arms, do you gain more portals (Sharns have three limbs, and can make three portals; Sharnites have two limbs, and can make two portals; possible trend is possible)?
    I have no idea where you got that idea from, but no. A Sharnite can gain a third portal by taking the Improved Hex Portals feat, however.

Can hex portals sustain magical devices? Can you use hex portals for magical item creation? Do you have line of effect through a hex portal? Can hex portals move through walls?
    Uncertain what you mean exactly, uncertain what you mean exactly, yes (with the limitation of melee attacks), and no (force effect), in that order.
    Last edited by Jarian; 2011-03-18 at 01:45 AM.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.