View Single Post

Thread: Apocalypse World

1. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Apocalypse World

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jill View Post
    I'm guessing that AW's archetypes/templates differ from traditional class systems in that they do not have a binding impact on how the character is subsequently allowed to develop?
    I would say "classes" is a good way to put it. I think the term "class" just has a bad stigma from D&D.

In Apocalypse World, the class does have quite a bit to do with who your character is and how they develop. You can take a few abilities from other classes, but first and foremost, you are an X, and it is purposefully impossible for you to not be distinguished as an X.

Your class determines your starting stats, the pool of abilities you draw from, what equipment you can have, how can you spend points for character advancement, and even what clothing you wear. For instance, I believe the Brainer is the only one who can wear Fetish Bondage Gear. Conceivably, someone else could, but for narrative purposes, it is functionally impossible, because you are this archetype and nothing else. Choppers wear biker outfits, not bondage gear, and they never will.

It seems very restrictive at first, but the fact is that, in play, it becomes apparent that if you focus more on what is malleable, and just willingly play with type in the stuff that isn't so malleable, awesome invariably happens.

A bit like if a Fox executive tells you that you need a sexy love interest slash prostitute on your cast, and you improvise a badass space geisha out of that.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-03-22 at 10:49 PM.