1. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Feat-balancing help needed - Combat Form feats

Quote Originally Posted by Pechvarry View Post
    Yeah, my concern with God of War was even expecting it to only be once/round. I just don't like the idea of someone strolling up to my Ranger and just auto-killing me outright. No save, no attack roll 'cuz it went auto-crit.

And then he does it to my ally barbarian the next round.
    I've got to admit, that would suck pretty hardcore. But I could see it from another direction. Consider this:

1) Other classes can do much more terrible things to your ranger and barbarian than this. Shenanigans like time stop + dimensional lock + maw of chaos + prismatic sphere don't even require feat investment, while mailman and ubercharger builds and the like can generate one-round damage totals that are likely to exceed your character's maximum hit points. Getting hit with a crit to the face is actually survivable, while those other things are not. Barbarians in particular are great big bags of hit points and can usually shrug off a critical hit if they're at full health.

2) The fact that your ranger and barbarian have no tools defend themselves beyond AC and saving throws is a testament to how poorly adapted those classes are to the 3.5 environment, not a call for the nerfing of the fighter. Rather, we should re-imagine these classes (as I've done), or provide them with new and better options (as I'm doing). For example, Combat Defense offers a miss chance, while Combat Adjustment offers an ability similar to Abrupt Jaunt that can be used to evade a melee attack. I have many more feats for melee characters in the pipeline that offer substantial and impressive defenses to match the offensive edge provided by feats like God of War

Indeed, the only way for PCs to combat an enemy such as this effectively is to be a mage or have well thought-out magic items and luck.
    Ultimately, what I'm getting at is that with the 3.5 remix that I'm proposing, this is no longer true. For every feat I create to attack, I make another to defend or avoid. The ranger, normally a brittle attacker, is replaced by the swift hunter, an option-rich class that (for example) gains the ability to move away from attacks as an immediate action at 19th level. And the barbarian... well, I don't want to let too much out of the bag just yet, but a high-level barbaric fighter could easily bull-rush an opponent away as an immediate action.

Combat Psychic is interesting -- The ramifications of any psionic character being able to regain combat focus as often as needed (but at a high action economy cost) is fascinating. I'm not saying it's bad. It definitely shakes up the possibilities.
    Excellent. That was the goal. I'm considering also an improvement to Combat Tempo that would allow a character with a martial refresh method to use it to gain combat focus instead of refreshing maneuvers...

Combat Strike -- you're getting into what I feared. Balancing the feats around the Disciplined Fighter means these may as well be class features, because they're really not meant for Scouts and Marshals and Monks, oh my.
    ...which begins to address some of your concern here about the exclusivity of the Combat Form feats. Although, honestly, I'm not overly troubled if some classes gain little from these feats. Ambush feats and Divine feats and Reserve feats are useful only to a narrow range of classes as well, and even Metamagic feats are off-limit to a fairly large audience. If the Combat Form feats are useful mostly to disciplined fighters, psychic warriors, warblades, and swordsages, I can live with that.

Combat Guardian -- Combat Reflexes does not, in fact, require DEX 13. It's just worthless until you have about that much DEX. I forgot about the WIS req on Combat Focus itself. So yeah, I'd ditch the DEX req and perhaps the INT req as I mentioned before (for people who get it granted, such as some monks).
    Huh. I'd never noticed that. I'll remove those requirements then, and remove the Dex-dependency of the effect.

Allied Defense is a feat that provides your Combat Expertise bonus to AC to all adjacent allies. It's in a Faerun book - Shining South. A level 20 Fighter could use Superior Expertise, Allied Defense, and Combat Guardian to give themselves and all adjacent allies +40 AC, as well as +20 to any allies within their extended reach. Not necessarily overpowered -- not like you're going to be hitting anything. Gogo stacking dodge bonuses. Also, because you forgo the benefits of CE, you can't gain the benefits of Allied Defense until you get 3 combat form feats. So not a bad feat to grab AFTER your 3rd.
    Nice combo. I agree, it's good but not game-breaking.

I also noticed another slight problem with Combat Guardian. The Expend effect requires you to make an attack roll, which means using combat expertise (and thus, the feat itself) makes the Expend harder to pull off.
    This is the reason that the Expend effect grants a bonus on the attack roll equal to the number of Combat Focus feats you have -- to mitigate the penalty. Do you think it's enough? I suppose I could always set the bonus to twice the number of CF feats.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2011-04-07 at 07:30 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.