1. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest XXVII: Epically Destined

Jadewind Blademaster

Spoiler
    Show

Breathe in the jadewind, and feel it flow through your blood, into your heart, and down through the weapon in your hands. Feeling it cutting through your foes, and feel it enter their blood. The beryl blade does not wait for Death.
    -Kin Saaraan, Jadewind God

The Jadewind Blademaster is someone who combines the aspects of combat and psionics, specifically psychokineticism, controlling the winds and energy flows that naturally pervade combat. The Jadewind Blademasters study for many years in order to be able to master both disciplines.

The Jadewind Blademasters do not train with an organization. Usually either one Jadewind Blademaster trains with a master, or learns to use the powers of the jadewind themselves.

BECOMING A JADEWIND BLADEMASTER
    Becoming a Jadewind Blademaster depends entirely upon one’s circumstances. For someone who has been trained from youth as a Jadewind Blademaster, learning the twin disciplines of Psionics and battle, it will be an easy choice. For someone who is learning it on their own, and making it up as they go along, they might take more time. But it is not inherently more difficult for either option.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Base Attack Bonus: +7
    Skills: Concentration 13 ranks, Jump 10 ranks, Autohypnosis 8 ranks
    Feats: Psionic Meditation, Psionic Weapon, Two-Weapon Fighting
    Special: Able to initiate one level three Diamond Mind maneuvers, and two level three Tiger Claw maneuvers
    Special: Able to manifest the Control Air power, and level 3 psychokinesis powers
    Special: Psicrystal class feature

Class Skills
    The Jadewind Blademaster's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Disable Device (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Psicraft (Int).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

Jadewind Blademaster
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Manifesting

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Jadewind Blades|+1 level of manifesting class

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Heavenly Stride|+1 level of manifesting class

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Zephyr Parry|+1 level of manifesting class

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Dance of the Gale|+1 level of manifesting class

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Jadewind Throw|+1 level of manifesting class

6th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Stance of the Rising Wind|--

7th|
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |God Blooded Strike|+1 level of manifesting class

8th|
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Beryl Blade|+1 level of manifesting class

9th|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Upon the Jade Throne|+1 level of manifesting class

10th|
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Jadewind Ascension|+1 level of manifesting class[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The Jadewind Blademaster gains proficiency with no weapons or armor.

{table=head]Level|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances

1st
    |
    |
    |
    |

2nd
    |
    |
    |
    |

3rd
    |
    |
    |
    |

4th
    |
    |
    |
    |

5th
    |
    |
    |
    |

6th
    |
    |
    |
    |

7th
    |
    |
    |
    |

8th
    |
    |
    |
    |

9th
    |
    |
    |
    |

10th
    |
    |
    |
    |[/table]

Maneuvers: The Jadewind Blademaster gains a new maneuver known from the Diamond Mind or Tiger Claw disciplines at first, fourth, seventh, and tenth level, and a new maneuver readied at second, sixth, and tenth level. He gains a new stance from the Diamond Mind or Tiger Claw disciplines at third level. The Jadewind Blademaster’s Jadewind Blademaster levels count for initiator levels as full, instead of half.

Manifesting: At each level of Jadewind Blademaster besides sixth level, the Jadewind Blademaster gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, and so on).

If a character had more than one manifesting class before he became a Jadewind Blademaster, he must decide to which class he adds the new level of Jadewind Blademaster for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.

Jadewind Blades (Su): The Jadewind Blademaster may create blades of wind and energy, supernaturally sharp and swift. As a move action, the Jadewind Blademaster may summon two swords made of pure energy and wind. They deal 1d6 sonic damage per two levels of Jadewind Blademaster the Jadewind Blademaster possesses, plus the Jadewind Blademaster’s Strength modifier. The Jadewind Blademaster may choose for them to instead deal piercing and slashing damage, but if he does, they only deal 1d6 damage per four Jadewind Blademaster levels he possesses. He may switch between damage types as a free action at any time. They have a reach of 5 feet, and appear in any form the Jadewind Blademaster wishes (as long as they are still within that 5 feet length). They count as light weapons for the purposes of two weapon fighting. The Jadewind Blademaster’s jadewind blade is treated as a throwing weapon with a ranged increment of 30 feet, but is destroyed after it hits its target. Whenever the blades leave the Jadewind Blademaster’s possession and are not being thrown as weapons, they automatically disappear. The Jadewind Blademaster may only ever possess as many blades as he can wield with his hands.

Heavenly Stride (Ex): The Jadewind Blademaster’s training with the jadewind has lead him to be able to increase his speed to unnatural heights simply by streamlining his body and moving through wind currents. Starting at second level, whenever the Jadewind Blademaster successfully initiates a Diamond Mind maneuver, his movement speed increases by 30 feet for 2 rounds. This ability does not stack with itself.

Zephyr Parry (Su): The Jadewind Blademaster’s control of the wind allows him to deflect and move attacks away from himself, even just enough to foil the attack. Starting at third level, by spending 9 power points as an immediate action, the Jadewind Blademaster may parry an incoming attack within 30 feet with the winds. He may make an attack roll, with a bonus to the attack roll equal to his Intelligence modifier. If it is higher than the attack that triggered this ability, that attack fails, and the attacker is pushed 5 feet in any direction. This attack does not necessarily have to have the person recieving it be the Jadewind Blademaster.

Dance of the Gale (Su): The Jadewind Blademaster’s very movement itself can create small tornadoes and updrafts of wind, capable of blocking opponents and attacks. Starting at fourth level, a number of rounds per encounter equal to one half of the Jadewind Blademaster’s Intelligence modifier, the Jadewind Blademaster may create walls of swift air wherever he moves. Whenever he takes a move action in order to move locations, he creates the walls, which occupy each square he moves through for the round. The walls of air push those who attempt to walk through them back 10 feet. Any ranged attack that is made through the wall of air takes a -8 penalty to the attack roll. The wall is 10 feet high. A creature may make a Strength check (DC 10 + Jadewind Blademaster levels + Intelligence modifier) to break through the wall of wind. If they fail, they are pushed back 20 feet. If they gain a running start, they gain a +2 bonus to the Strength check.

Jadewind Throw (Su): The Jadewind Blademaster can use winds and gales to guide his throws, and allow them to perform intricate actions for him, and then return the weapons he threw to his very hand. Starting at fifth level, the Jadewind Blademaster may treat any melee weapon he throws as a Returning Weapon, and he gives all melee weapons he wields a range increment of 30 feet. He may initiate a strike with a thrown weapon by spending 11 power points. The maneuver may have more than one target, but those targets may not be more than 5 feet away from each other.

Stance of the Rising Wind (Su): The Jadewind Blademaster may use the winds that he controls to fly through the air, though only for a short time. Starting at sixth level, as a swift action, the Jadewind Blademaster may subsume his current stance, and gain the stance of the rising wind by spending 5 power points. The Jadewind Blademaster gains a fly speed equal to twice his base land speed, but must land on the ground every three turns.

God Blooded Strike (Su): The Jadewind Blademaster may cut an opponent and send tiny slipstreams of wind into their blood, pervading all of their arteries and eventually finding their way up to the opponent’s heart. Starting at seventh level, the Jadewind Blademaster may make a melee attack against an opponent by spending 9 power points as a standard action. If the attack hits, it deals 1d6 Constitution and Strength damage. One minute later, it deals an additional 1d6 Constitution and Strength damage. If the opponent makes a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + Jadewind Blademaster levels + Intelligence modifier), they may nullify the secondary damage.

Beryl Blade (Su): The Jadewind Blademaster’s jadewind blade becomes more powerful, allowing him to focus his mind and body. Starting at eighth level, the Jadewind Blademaster’s jadewind blades gain an enhancement bonus equal to one half the Jadewind Blademaster’s Jadewind Blademaster levels. Whenever the Jadewind Blademaster makes a successful melee attack with his jadewind blade, he may regain his Psionic Focus as a swift action.

Upon the Jade Throne (Su): The Jadewind Blademaster may control the bodies of those around him with the use of winds and air currents. Starting at ninth level, he may manifest the Control Body power on any and all within 30 feet as a full round action for 17 power points, able to control each subject without thought. It counts as already being augmented. While he is controlling those around him, the Jadewind Blademaster may not move or take any actions, besides focus on keeping those under his control in check.

Jadewind Ascension (Su): The Jadewind Blademaster reaches the pinnacle of their mortal power. Starting at tenth level, the Jadewind Blademaster becomes an Elemental, with the [Air] subtype. The Jadewind Blademaster may be resurrected as if they were of the race they were before they ascended. The Jadewind Blademaster gains a fly speed equal to their base land speed (the Stance of the Rising Wind now grants them a bonus to fly speed equal to twice their base land speed, but they loose the bonus for one round every three rounds). The Jadewind Blademaster may, as a move action, spend 15 powers points. For the next two rounds, any melee attack that the Jadewind Blademaster makes with his jadewind blade resolves as a touch attack. Whenever the Jadewind Blademaster initiates a Diamond Mind maneuver and a Tiger Claw maneuver in the same round, he gains a number of Power Points equal to the highest maneuver level of either one of the maneuvers initiated. This ability may not be used outside of combat.

PLAYING A JADEWIND BLADEMASTER
    The Jadewind Blademaster plays very much like a martial psion, focusing on combat related powers and abilities, and also as an initiator, with a focus more on boosts and counters than direct strikes.
    Combat: Combat tends to be very movement related. The first round or so of combat might involve the Jadewind Blademaster summoning his jadewind blade, and then moving into combat. While he is too far away to use maneuvers against his opponents, he will use powers to blast them off of the face of the earth. If they prove to have too many resistances to the powers he is using, he will move into combat, using boosts and counters to remain safe, and using a lot of Tiger Claw maneuvers for extra attacks.
    Advancement: The options for advancement after the Jadewind Blademaster are very limited. Because the class can only be entered at 10th level, unless the character doesn’t take all of the levels in the class, there are essentially no other options. In addition, there are very few psionics based initiator classes, which makes such an option even harder to find.
    Resources: The Jadewind Blademasters are not a cohesive group, and their powers are largely individual. They control others, yes, and can be very manipulative, but they themselves do not work well together, and as such, there are little to no resources that a character could get based solely on this class.

JADEWIND BLADEMASTERS IN THE WORLD
    I could feel his eyes on me. They were a strange color of green, like a diamond or spun glass. They seemed to burn into my very soul, and I cringed away from him. He sat on a throne of bones, painted green by his barbarian horde. I remember looking into his cragged, scarred, and horribly broken face, and feeling for the first time terror, absolute beyond measure. I remember my lungs refusing to even breathe the foul wind that emanated from that terrible throne, not wishing my breath to be stolen. I was with my father, an envoy from our country. We were there as peaceable diplomats, hoping to avert war. That was when I knew there would be war. His eyes, seemed to be filled with a terrible desperation for violence, to stem his pain, to stem his broken heart, I know not. I did know, however, even though my father largely ignored me, that we were not, indeed, meant as diplomats. We were food for his throne, to be devoured by his madness. I hid, for the most part, even after my father had been executed. I hid under the green bones, waiting for the death to come. I lay there, his gigantic form looming over me. I could feel his breath, while he sat on top of me. I lay there, in the depths of the green bones, and I saw things you could not even think of. Things so terrible, so horrible, that I could not even imagine that it was real. I thought it was a dream, just one long, terrifying dream, a nightmare that refused to end. I would pinch myself, tell myself to wake up, desperate to wake up. Desperate to end the pain, the jagged bones tearing, reaching, deep into my soul, deep into me, so deep I could not remove them. I still feel those bones, tearing me apart, to this day.

But one day... he came. It was another man, a new man. This man’s eyes were a similar green, so endlessly deep. But where the barbarian king’s eyes were dark, this man’s eyes were sharp, and bright. His smile was wide, while he walked in the clearing the barbarian had made his. His hands were empty, weaponless, and the barbarian king laughed. He laughed long, and hard. He laughed for so long that I could see he was gasping for breath when he finally finished.

I cannot ever forget that battle. I cannot forget the winds, while they sliced through the bones around me. I lay deep in the pile, hidden in a little fortress of my own making. I had been alone for so long, killing the little animals I could find, eating them without thought.

They spoke, before the fight. They laughed at each other, they seemed companionable. The new man asked the barbarian why he had made such an army. The barbarian man said so he could get the new man’s attention. The man smiled, wanly, and looked to his feet.

I remember the next part of their conversation with perfect clarity.

“Do you really think this is what the master would have wanted from us? Do you really think he was a killer? What is it you hope to gain, Eorn? Wealth? Power?”

“I only ever wanted his recognition. He always loved you more, Kin. He always looked to you first. I WAS HIS SON! Why did he never treat me so?”

“He loved you more than you could ever imagine. Do you think he wanted to teach you the way of the wind? Do you think that was really his aim? He didn’t want this to happen to you. He wanted you to protect what you loved, not destroy it.”

“What do you know? What did he know? I am protecting what I love!”

“No, you are destroying it. You loved him, and now he will forever despair, that his son had become nothing more than a murderer.” He said this softly, his voice humming low, and his eyes looking sad.

“You DARE! I am his son! I am his successor! I am the one who is stronger! You wouldn’t ever understand!”

“I understand better than you think, Eorn. Stop this. Stop it now. No one else has to die, tonight. No one else needs to be hurt by your pride. He loved you. Didn’t you ever love him?”

The barbarian smarted under the verbal blows that this Kin figure was lashing upon him. He roared and surged forward. The new person had suddenly gained swords, swords that glowed green, that seemed to flicker in the light, and waver. They were almost the same as the swords that the warlord held, in a way.

Everything after that was a blur. Their motions were so fast, so blindingly swift, I could not tell one parry from another slice. Their forms were blurred by the wind, which whipped around them, throwing bones off of the green throne, pulling bones and shaking the ground under my cold and broken feet. I felt like weeping, but my eyes were so caught up in the battle. My tears refused to fall, for fear of breaking the silence of that that silently screaming battle. Their winds whipped the sounds of their swords out of my ears, away from me, into the dark green sky.

Their forms rose up, their swords clashed again and again. They blasted each other with jade-green fire, froze the ground around each other, sent bolt after bolt of emerald lightning, spouted acid at each other. Each created defenses as fast as the other could try to kill him.

It felt like hours, days, years. Tension gripped my whole form, my whole being. I longed to run, while they were so occupied, but could not bring myself to leave the green bones.

After some time, the barbarian started losing. His swords became slower, losing speed as his powers became smaller and smaller. The other man started to put more and more pressure on the barbarian king, started to beat him down. At last, the man knocked the barbarian’s swords from his hands, which then dissipated into nothing more than air. The barbarian was crying, his eyes wet with tears.

“Why didn’t he love me,” sobbed the barbarian, “WHY DIDN’T HE LOVE ME?”

The other man sighed, and pulled the barbarian close to his chest. He sat there rocking back and forth, holding the sobbing form of the once powerful warlord.

He stood up, leaving the sobbing man sitting on the hard, cold ground. He still held his sword, and pointed it up into the sky.

“Now, I must send you to your fate. Maybe the jadewind judge you fairly, Eorn Saaraan, and send you to your father. May Reshar the first master, friend of your father, meet you in the afterlife, and hand you his sword.”

He struck down, and the barbarian’s head fell from his shoulders, finally letting go. A great wind rushed around the throne of green bones, pulling them away, removing them, until I was laid bare, alone and surrounded by miles of scattered bones. The man seemed entirely unfazed, and turned towards me. He reached his hand down towards me, smiled, and picked me up.

“I am called Kin Saaraan. You shall be my apprentice from now on. Let us make his world better, so that no more will someone like Eorn have to do what he did.”

And so we walked away, through those fields of bone, while the sky shone with a strange, jade hue.

Itsuo Kinless, master of the Saaraan school, protector of the Beryl Blade

The Jadewind Blademasters are fairly few, and thus face similar problems as psions and warriors, rather than those specific to the class itself. They are viewed more as blood thirsty warriors than anything, especially with their large focus on combat.
    Daily Life: Jadewind Blademasters are pretty much entirely unique. Some part of their day might be spent practicing weaponry, but that depends entirely on how much the character actually cares about combat or weapons practice. Other than that, there are rarely any practices that bind Jadewind Blademasters to a common thread.
    Notables: Saaraan family are famous for their mastery of the techniques of the Jadewind, including Hothas Saaraan, the original master of the Saaraan school (who is now dead), Eorn Saaraan, his son, who was killed by Kin Saaraan, who is Hothas’ adopted son. Eorn had grown power hungry and despotic, using his powers of control and prowess in physical and magical/psionic combat to gain a vast army, in order to get Kin, who was wandering the land looking for a suitable apprentice, to come to him, so that Eorn could be recognized as the legitimate successor to the Saaraan School (Hothas had named Kin his successor). Kin killed him, and found his apprentice, Itsuo. He died shortly after completing Itsuo’s training, leaving Itsuo as the last remaining member of the Saaraan school. Itsuo now teaches any who come to him the ways of the Saaraan school.
    Organizations: The Saaraan school of the Beryl Blade is as of now the only known organization that is specifically focused on teaching the ways of the Jadewind. It is fairly small and not well known, but it teaches any who come to its doors.

NPC Reaction
    The Jadewind Blademasters are considered mostly bloodthirsty warriors. Their psionics don’t garner enough attention to cause any rethinking of this stereotype placed against them, and their powers are subtle, far subtler than those used by many psions, causing them to be generally thought less of for it.

JADEWIND BLADEMASTERS IN THE GAME
    The Jadewind Blademasters are a skirmishing combat class, with some dual-wielding abilities, and some blasting and control. So, they can fight at any distance, and they have the mobility to get where they want.
    Adaptation: The Jadewind Blademasters are not well known enough to be really campaign shaping, and their fluff is generally not specific enough to interfere with other organizations or groups in the setting. They can be reflavored as mystical swordsmen using the powers of the wind if need be (that is all they are anyway, really).
    Encounters: Most encounters that the PCs might have with a Jadewind Blademaster will be violent. The Jadewind Blademasters, unless they are in general reformed, or part of the Saaraan school, have no need for peace, their entirely lifestyle and mindset are based on war. If the encounter at all involves talking, the Jadewind Blademaster likely has no need for it. Any member of the Saaraan school will likely be trying to spread notice of their school, and they intensely dislike violent Jadewind Blademasters.

Jadewind Emperor

Spoiler
    Show

The Jadewind Blademasters are well known for their power and strength, but their greatest powers rely in their mastery of the wind. They ascend to their greatest powers by becoming one with the wind, but some are able to even surpass that.

Requirements: Jadewind Ascension class ability, Jump 24 ranks, Concentration 24 ranks, Autohypnosis 24 ranks, able to use ninth level Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw maneuvers, able to manifest 7th level powers

{table=head]Level|Benefit
    21st
    |Sight of the Jade Throne
    24th
    |Jadewind Tornado
    27th
    |One Thousand Slices
    30th
    |Jadewind God[/table]

Sight of the Jade Throne: The Jadewind Emperor’s rise to the jade throne has taught him many forms of power. The Jadewind Emperor learns all maneuvers of the Diamond Mind and Tiger claw disciplines, and all Psychokinesis powers. Whenever he initiates a Diamond Mind or Tiger Claw strike with a standard action initiation time, he may manifest a single Psychokinesis power at the same time as a free action. He must still pay all power point costs for the power.

Jadewind Tornado: The Jadewind Emperor may shift his elemental form into that of a tornado, slicing through others with the jadewind that empowers his form. As a move action, the Jadewind Emperor may assume the form of a twister. He becomes incorporeal, and occupies a 30 by 30 foot space. His base land speed quadruples. He may create any number of jadewind blades as a free action. They fade at the end of this effect. As long as he is in tornado form, he automatically rolls a 20 on any Jump or Concentration check made as part of a Tiger Claw or Diamond Mind maneuver, and gains a bonus to Jump, and Concentration checks equal to his Intelligence modifier. This effect lasts for 5 rounds, and may only be used once per encounter. His jadewind blades while in this form gain the Ghost Touch property. He may make two attacks as if using his jadewind blade against each creature that shares a square with him (the tornado) and those within 5 feet of it.

One Thousand Slices: The Jadewind Emperor may flick his blades of jadewind through the flesh of his enemies, cutting down all that oppose him. As a full round action, he may, by spending 29 power points, make an attack roll with his jadewind blades. If this is higher than or equal to the Armor Class of any opponents within 200 feet, he hits that opponent with his Jadewind Blade. The attacks deals double damage.

Jadewind God: The Jadewind Emperor gains the ultimate powers of the jadewind, blowing through their enemies, as a veritable tempest of steel. Any attack he makes with his jadewind blades deals an additional 1d6 Constitution damage, and ignores Damage Reduction. In addition, every time he successfully initiates a Diamond Mind maneuver in combat, he regains a number of Power Points equal to twice the level the maneuver. Whenever he successfully manifests a Psychokinesis power, he may, as a swift action, regain a maneuver that has been expended for the encounter.

Jadewind Breeze:
    When the Jadewind Emperor reaches 31st level, his essence becomes one with the Jadewind. This is so rare that it is said that less than three individuals have ever done so. When he dies, his essence fills every blade, every knife, every sword, every spear, every tiny piece of metal used in war, and his soul fights on, through the endless ages, a testament to the power of the wind. His soul, his mind, his endless form floats through the lungs of every combatant that will ever come, and his power surges through combat, revelling in the warfare. Some worship him as a god, some as a war spirit, but his name lives on. And even after his name has fallen away, and he is left behind, as long as there is war, he will remain.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-05-07 at 10:46 AM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.