Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
Glad to hear that you like it, especially coming from someone who enjoys the archetype. I was worried some people might find the challenge a bit jarring. Speaking of, how do you feel about the dimensional anchor within reach portion?
You might have to define "within reach". From what I've seen throughout the rest of the text of the class, it means "within striking distance", or the five-foot area around the Duelist that it can swing at. That doesn't necessarily stop somebody from moving their full movement (even if that "full movement" is technically half movement), and then stepping through the Dimension Door, even if they take an attack of opportunity in the process. It doesn't even stop them from taking a five-foot step before doing so (which doesn't even provoke an attack of opportunity). Thus, the evil Wizard your Duelist managed to (against all odds) shatter through the defenses and perilous abilities of isn't barred from escaping... He just has to step out of the way first.

If "within reach" means "within a single movement range of the target", then the target can't escape the "within reach" range unless they have more than double the Duelist's movement, because the Duelist's Challenge cuts movement in half. I think this is more what you're going for.

Frankly, I like it, but I guess my understanding isn't clear on when Dimensional Anchor is applied, since "within range" is relative.

I could put it into a separate ability and allow the scaling, but really, I'm not sold on the Duelist actually needing improved uncanny dodge. It's one of those things that would be nice, but not particularly necessary. On the other hand, Uncanny Dodge is one of those things, as someone else put it, is necessary for the class to function. It wasn't put in to be an extra power boost so much as to ensure a duelist doesn't get splattered because he didn't have it, if that makes any sense.
While I can see this, and I wouldn't necessarily suggest giving Improved Uncanny Dodge to the PrC outright, a Rog4/Bar2 gets Improved Uncanny Dodge just from getting Uncanny Dodge from two different sources, whereas a Rog4/Duel4... Doesn't. Instead, they get an Uncanny Dodge they can't use with their armor.

I think it just makes sense from the perspective of a character that already has Uncanny Dodge applying their already intuitive knowledge to the training that they are receiving as they continue to progress, as base class combinations already do. It makes sense from a progression standpoint and is consistent with what Uncanny Dodge already does, and while I guess this isn't technically Uncanny Dodge, it does give some benefit to a dedicated duelist choosing Rogue over Fighter, since Fighter gets Uncanny Dodge from this anyway.

I can see your concern with a non-fighter having trouble entering the class... what if instead of making combat reflexes a bonus feat and taking it off the prereqs, I bumped the prereqs down to requiring dodge instead of Mobility.

That way a non-human non-fighter could go 1) Weapon Finesse 3) Combat Reflexes 6) Dodge, and qualify at 6. There's nothing in the class that really requires mobility, it is merely fitting, on the other hand, combat reflexes is a pretty central part of making the class work, and I'm leery of handing out further power increases, even something as small as an extra bonus feat.
To be perfectly honest, I never liked Mobility. In melee combat, I always make it a point not to provoke (instead using five-foot steps or Acrobatics/Tumble checks to get away), so Mobility is more or less a dump feat. I would love if it were gone.