View Single Post

Thread: New pathfinder class: true shapeshifter

1. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New pathfinder class: true shapeshifter

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Swindle89 View Post
    Ok, i can see this working. If you only let them use enough points to get to a reasonable(only playtesting can tell) powerlevel for the full day, then do a times per day on the rest of the points.

If you also gave evolution surge as a SLA a couple times per day, they wouldn't have to hulk out to accomplish minor tasks.

You appear to be comparing the shape shifter to an edilon w/o his master, but theoretically the edilon is 33% more powerfull, because he gets all 20HD, or at least he should be. Not that that makes him stronger than a summoner, but it still counts for somthing.
    Are you proposing a fixed number of evolution points they can spend per day? That might work. Allow them to shift between their normal form and their last shifted form for no cost, just so you aren't forcing them to walk around as a monster all day, then can spend points from a pool to effect changes from that. Also give them 1 free change in the morning so they don't have to spend points to change back. These points would need to be enough to outdo what a summoner with evolution surge would be accomplishing. It would kinda be like a psionic character, only with better action economy and a much more limited spell list.

I don't think the evolution surge is an ability they should get, as that too easily improves their power. I'd say that evolution surge (and the oone that removes evolution points, forget what it is called) would be reasonable to cast on them, but that requires an external buffer, and so that increase would be the result of team synergy. The evolution point pool would work better, without actually increasing their evolution point cap.

That 33% (which is an overestimate, since the majority of their power comes from evolution points. ) is to compensate for the lack of buffs the summoner would be pouring into you, including 6 point evolution surges, AC bonuses, etc. You might be able to make an argument for 3/4 progression, which would but their bab in line with a normal eidolon, and weaken their hit dice.
    Last edited by Mystify; 2011-05-12 at 10:22 AM.