Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
I guess that makes sense? My idea was that most Paladins will have their Wisdom always at 14, and their Charisma pumped, so it wouldn't matter for them to choose, because Charisma will almost always be higher, unless the Paladin is Wisdom focused, in which case Wisdom will be higher. There isn't really much place for in between. And, in your example, what if their Charisma was instead boosted, gaining them an extra 2 uses? They seem equal, except that I didn't want to box the Paladin into having to choose.
True, true. It just seemed odd to me to have it refer to it as a choice made when used rather than the usual set-up of "When you gain this ability, choose X or Y." That said, I understand why you did that and it makes sense.

It has both. He naturally gains an Insight bonus simply because the shield boosts his senses magically, allowing him to react to danger. He also gains the normal shield bonus when wielding it. Do you think I should make the insight bonus only when he is wielding it?
You should stat the size of the shield then, since that has an effect on the shield bonus. Limiting to when it is held/wielded is also a solid idea.

A lot of the special qualities listed are not offensive at all. And the enhancement bonus always applies to the Shield bonus while the shield is not being wielded as a weapon (when you haven't shield-bashed), and when you shield bash, you gain that bonus to attack and damage for the shield bash, but lose your shield bonus to Armor Class. That's just how it works.
Check the rules on shield bashes here. It explicitly states that a +5 shield with that bonus going towards AC used to attack someone doesn't get an extra +5 to-hit and damage. Thus, you can have the odd scenario of having a +1 shocking +4 SR 15 shield due to the fact that one set of enhancements treats it as a weapon while the other treats it as a piece of armor. That said, it is an odd rule.

This is good enough that I might just include it anyway.
Thank you! I'm not normally a Paladin person, but your ACFs definitely caught my eye on this so I'm than happy to get it fine-tuned!

That's actually a feat. I am pretty stupid for not labeling it as such, but that's what it is. I will go make a feat tag next to it.
Ah, that makes much more sense as a feat! Well done, I am a fan!

The main problem with using Summon Monster is that there is not an equal distribution of aligned outsiders, which makes it all but impossible to actually try to make the ACF along alignment lines with those abilities. This was the closest I could get.

Except, again, A) I wanted to make it seem more personal than that, and B) the outsiders are not equal distributed across the Summon Monsters.

Unfortunately, Summon Monster doesn't really fit the flavor of the ability, in addition to the above points.
That's kind of what I was thinking when PEACHing, but it's just hard to get a proper feel for it as a combat mechanic, both due to have versatile some summons can be and due to its odd about of uses per day compared to a high end summoning spell. As I said, I do think your choices on monster should be locked in but also be stronger than a comparative level of summon monster. It's just a really hard thing to get the "sweet spot" of balance on.

Good work on Light from On High. It feels slower than the normal methods, but at least permanent flight comes online, even if four levels late.

Merging this with Bulwark? Um, they have completely different niches, and different uses, and they target the same class feature. In addition, this, plus Sacred Bulwark, is much, much better than the normal Special Mount class feature. That is part of why I have them separate.
Fair enough. My issue was that the fact that the shield already gives you such a solid weapon and/or shield, that this ability feels comparatively lacking. Sadly, I'm not sure what else the weapon could do outside of "more numbers!"

I should probably give them summoned arrows as well. However, I like the Ranger spells idea as well.
Free arrows sounds good, with or without the Ranger spells. Just make sure that you limit them on type of arrows used or called to better showcase the Moonsilver enhancement.

The problem with the idea of using the bard's spells is that the Paladin can only get this ACF at 4th level or higher (I am going clarify that). Granting them the choice between a few themed Domains seems alright.
Like I said, start with the bard's progression and tweak it. I'm better at gauging spell progressions when I see a full table. As of right now, a Paladin doesn't get any 5th or 6th level slots despite having those spells known, which is just silly!

The idea was, indeed, that they would gain however many uses, but would have to choose between the three options.
I was leaning to that, but I figured it was best to clarify. As such, I like it as is!

The bonus afterwards is supposed to offset the Paladin's melee or ranged ability even without using too many smites.
Ah, fair enough! I'm so used to playing with smites being per encounter that I sometimes forget that the default is per day. As such, that is a solid idea for a weapon quality. Still miffed that the melee and ranged weapons only last for 10 minutes, though.

That is a good idea. I think a lot of the bonus would be the second part of the ability, which allows for the wielder to gain a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to his Caster level, which cannot exceed the total magic bonus the weapon has, including the bonuses that are subsumed by weapon qualities. This effectively means that the Paladin gains a bonus to Attack and Damage equal to his Caster Level all throughout his career. Hm. Maybe, once per day, the weapon allows you to cast a personal spell as a swift action, as long as the spell level is less than the enhancement bonus on the weapon (with a cap at +5, like normal)?
That sounds good. The once a day thing is a nice touch but may be "too much." I'd try to get another 'brewer's opinion on it first. I personally don't think it would be overpowered, but I'm honestly not sure.

Okay, I clarified that it only works for each failed save beyond the first. I could make it be that they prevent the 5 foot step whenever the wielder of the Crippling weapon makes a full attack with it.
I like how Crippling came out. Looks solid right now, but it may be too much for just a +2 weapon. Not sure, though. This is another thing I'd try to get another opinion on, though.

Where would I state that?
Probably just at the end of each ability with something like "Class Feature X is a supernatural/spell-like/extraordinary ability.

Next post will probably be for the Druid ACF. I feel like by the time each class is covered, you'll need a separate thread just to have them all together and on the same page! That or you could links to your first post to each post with the various ACFs.