Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
Considering how much back and forth we're stirring up, I'm going to both PEACH the last two guys and throw it all into three separate spoiler tags for the sake of everyone else.
Heheh, good idea.

Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
Yeah, you've definitely got a knack for the fluff quotes! Another one that sells me on the class therein. I approve!
Some of them are just hard to come up with. The one quote that I probably like the most is the ranger quote, which, to me, actively sounds the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
This is odd. It's only one spell a day, but it could be any spell of a certain level. However, you're giving up the quintessential monk ability (flurry of blows, AC bonus) to get it. The bonus feat lost at first level is whatever, but the rest of those are hard to pin? Are they "ZOMG OP" features to be lost? No, but they are part of what helps a monk overcome its inherent flaws (well, the no armor and 3/4 BAB, anyhow) The limit on the SLAs a day hurts, so I'm torn.

Do I think this is better than what is lost? Yeah, probably, at least for a straight monk. Do I think it is worth it? Probably not, due to how few SLAs a day of each level you will get.
The Wisdom bonus to AC doesn't go away, just the extra bonus that they gain. And, although I know that Flurry of Blows is very iconic for Monks, it is rather unfortunately not very useful. A lot of the monk class features focus on mobility, or mobility-esque options, but flurry of blows is just this weird outlier. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the class. I am thinking of adding a feat for the ACF that allows the monk to cast their spell as a swift action if they have moved and made an attack with their Unarmed Strike in the same round.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
This I like! I'd mention that it lasts for 3+ the new WIS modifier in rounds, but, other than that, this is solid for a more stationary monk. You should say if they get the focused state at first level or not. Also, as written "Improved Mettle" isn't a thing, so you need to write that out. Same with "Mettle," but that is because not every version of "Mettle" is the same, but I get the gist of what it is supposed to do.

You may also want to increase the bonuses from the focused state with additional levels, but that's nonessential. That said, I could see going Monk 6/Barbarian 1/Fist of the Forest 3 for three types of "rages." And that, I love!
Good point. Improved Mettle is for Mettle what Improved Evasion is for Evasion. I will clarify with actual ability descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
You shouldn't say "This is an extraordinary ability" for the entire thing. Instead, refer back to the chapter of Tome of Battle for what is relevant. Use "Most of these abilities are extraordinary in nature, but some may instead be supernatural. See Tome of Battle for the maneuver descriptions."
Okay.


Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
A solid bard quote. Rather inspiring. Yet again, props!
Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
The boost thing is odd. Maybe consider throwing them a feat a la Melodic Spellcasting or simply say that initiating maneuvers does not interfere with bardic music. Only having access to two disciplines is rough, especially for lose of bardic music. That said, as an ACF, it is important to keep it from overshadowing the primary users of such, so not a bad idea.
Honestly, giving them a feat makes that feat mandatory. I would rather just give the Bard the ability in the first place, since it isn't like they are gaining that much otherwise. I could alternatively just have it be any time they initiate a maneuver, if that makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
Soundly BEARS! This meshes really, really well with Inspire Courage OP-fu. That said, I'd rather have spells than a pack of animals. Not to say being the wolf leader isn't an awesome character concept, just not one I would go for with my bard.
It's understandable. That said, for some people, the idea of having extra companions (more full time than otherwise) is a fun way to play a character like that without some crazy Beastmaster multiclassing, while losing the bardic music progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
As an Incarnate may be the strongest option. Again, you should mention that he gains chakra binds and openings as an Incarnate of equal level, too. That said, without the Incarnate's class features to help him pump more essentia than usual into his soulmelds, this shouldn't be too bad.
Okay.


Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
Yeah, I understand why you did that, just due to how big of a beast one druid can be. That said, from a purely crunch perspective, it just seemed odd to me. With only one vestige bound at a time, that feels harsh enough to me, compared to what an equal level binder can have up. Or am I misreading that again?
No, that is correct. I can see your point, I guess. Maybe I could disallow any of the Supernatural effects while the Druid is wildshaped?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
Looks solid. As I said above for the Monk's initiating replacement, don't call it all "extraordinary." Instead refer back to either Tome of Battle or where ever the Iron Rain and Falling Star schools can be found via links.
Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
Definitely! Even when I didn't finish or even have an idea for a particular contest, when I had time, I still would throw down a few PEACHes for the contestants just to help them fine-tune their work.
Yeah, I saw that. I had hoped you would be able to contribute more.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
I'm odd in that I don't really like the idea of making base classes, simply because if I want further customization for a particular thing, I'd either be refluffing something or using prestige classes. Thus, as far as contests go, I've only ever really bothered with Errant's PrC, DaTedinator's Potpurri, and very rarely the monster contest. Thanks for the offer on the free PEACH, but I don't believe I have anything backlogged that isn't already up on GITP already.

That said, props on your nomination!
Oh no, I definitely understand that. I honestly don't really like it either. I think there are some cases where making base classes is a good thing though. I have been doing stuff in all of those contests, barring the Potpurri, since it is no longer really running, as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
Very much agreed. I was never really satisfied with the last three of the six Relicforged I did, just because it felt like I was forcing random abilities onto them at a certain point. I know on the Base Relicforged, their last ability gives them electricity immunity because I could not for the life of me shake the image of some powerful psion, nearly ready to overflow with psionic power charged in his augmentations having his spine cackle in outbursts of electricity. I may end up reposting those guys, just so I can get some new opinions on them and give them a polished finish.

As far as things created go, I'd say is the Temple Waker. Hyooz came up with a lot of the basic fluff for our two prestige classes and between what I had in mind originally for that contest and the contest back and forth with him in making it all, I think it really added to the finished result.
I would definitely agree about reposting them. They were a pretty cool race, if I recall correctly.

I love the idea behind those prestige classes. The interaction between two characters of the two classes would be so interesting and insightful for characters and players.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
Definitely! One of the few reasons why I ever voted for my own work in the PrC Contest was because I don't think I could view it objectively after poring so much into the project. As far as abilities go, I would like to say I have a decent idea of how my crunch always came out, but that is not to say I don't have a few overly strong abilities here and there for whatever reason.
See, but I sort of think that I can't really vote for my own creations because I put so much effort into them. I view them in a higher standing than other classes simply because of how much work I did, without thinking about the work of the other entrants (because it isn't really possible to know another person's effort).

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
I honestly think that if the Paladin had been made later in 3.5, its Lay on Hands would be a swift action from the start. I don't know if the designers ever realized that in-combat healing (save for the big guns like Heal) never really was worth it, but considering how little there is available for Lay on Hands, that seems like the perfect thing to be a swift action. Just a small pat on a comrade's back to let them know his commander or ally is still with them or a quick cleaning of the cheek after a sucker punch just seem like such solid Lay on Hands-type of actions to me
Precisely. It seems strange to me, then, that no one thought to amend the Paladin and maybe other classes later on when newer rules came about, such as Swift actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
Definitely. I know when writing up the fluff for the Relicforged, I would get away from my keyboard and begin to pace, looking for the write words to use and sort of roleplaying as the mad creator himself. Usually creating 'brew isn't that intense, but it certainly is enjoyable in bringing in something new!

Also, the sad fact is, unless someone jumps on over to either the 3.5 or Roleplaying sections and makes a thread about how they used your X or Y or Z or they send you a PM about using such, you'll never know who uses it or how it went for them. It sucks, but you just sort of have to hope that someone out there will see your work and find it good enough to use in a game.
Definitely! I love that excited feeling you get when you are working on a piece of homebrew that really gets you passionate about it.

Yeah, it's kind of an inherent problem with online homebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
HD limitations are odd, just due to the fact that some of the beefier outsiders have more HD than others for a given CR. My line of only summoning one at a time was more for preventing a Paladin from dropping all of his daily uses at once and also to help reinforce the idea that it is a specific companion.

Also, don't worry about this eating at my time. I'm out of college for the summer already, so other than looking for a job, I'm free.
Oh! Maybe the summons use their SLAs over the period of a day, and resummoning doesn't refresh the uses? Is that what you were saying? That would work perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
I'd start out with one bonus feat per five Paladin levels. As for creating two weapons at once, just look at how a Soulknife does it: when generating two weapons, both may have up to your Paladin level -1 worth of enhancements. Generating the second sword causes both of them to lose a point off your normal maximum. It's a slight punish to TWFers, but it does help prevent all Paladins from just grabbing a +5 [+5 worth of qualities] Longsword and a +5 defending [4 special qualities worth of more "defensive" stuff] Shortsword.
Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
Oh, well now I feel silly. If so, then it should be fine. You're getting a bonus on hit and damage when casting a spell for the round for basically free, but it is a pretty pricing quality in and of itself.
Yeah, don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
This is part of the reason why they made those web enhancements about filling in dead levels, since the designers later realized that not getting anything other than more spells per day, HP, BAB, and saves kind of sucks as a player. Doesn't mean what they made for those enhancements is necessarily worth a damn, but it is the idea that counts.
What web enhancements are these?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
I can never remember what it stands for, but it is basically live text chat about a certain topic. I want to say Fax hosts the one for GITP, but I can't remember if that's true of it is some other prominent Playgrounder. Wikipedia should have more info, though.
Okey-dokey.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
More feats are nice. I look forward to taking a look at them once you're back to where ever home is. For now, my PEACHes are all finished for what you have now, so feel free to just take a look at what I've said and relax in D.C. if you can.
I am back today, so it isn't really a problem. I might have them up tonight, depending on other factors.