Sure, I'll give this a whirl...

Critique of Life of a Library Book by Zolkabro

Spoiler
Show
My biggest criticism about this story would be that a lot of the very short length is taken up telling us things we would have thought of ourselves the moment we hear the title. "Oh, Life of a Library Book, huh? I bet it spends its time sitting on a shelf, wondering who's going to check it out next, complaining about the librarians." And that's most of the story right there. I think all of the expected parts could be dropped in favor of strengthening the doodling plot. You talk a lot about how other books/people react to her doodles, but how does this book feel about having been doodled in? Is she ashamed? Does she feel violated, or merely embarrassed? Does she secretly love her doodles because they mean that she was loved for a time, something those other books can't claim? I don't really get much of a feeling for who she is and why we should be listening to her story instead of the one from the book next to her.

Then, the ending doesn't give us any resolution because it doesn't actually tell us why it happened that way. We know this woman chose a doodled copy over a non-doodled copy of the same title, but there's no hint of a reason. If you've established that doodling is generally seen as bad, there should be some purpose behind that one woman overcoming that belief. Otherwise, it's just a random occurrence. I fully expected, while reading it, for the woman to end up having been the 8-year-old girl, now grown up and looking for HER copy of the book that she had loved but her parents donated to the library. That would have brought the ending to a true resolution and given us a point: We love who we love, looks aside.

The Ugly Duckling works as a story because we learn that the ducks were wrong all along; they didn't understand what they were seeing. We get that Aha! moment that explains it all. This story doesn't have that, because at the end, we learn that some people don't mind doodled books...and? So what? The only time anyone actively snickers at the book is when she's already been selected, so it seems like the moral here is, "Even if one person gets past your looks, it will still continue to haunt you. Sucks to be ugly." If The Ugly Duckling was being written like this, it would have ended with, "And then the duck grew up to be a seriously ugly adult duck, but sometimes it got fed by parkgoers anyway."

On a more concrete note, you never mention what sort of books would be given to an 8-year-old girl and still checked out by an adult. Also, I would add a second line space between paragraphs when posting it online, otherwise it becomes a Wall of Text.