View Single Post

Thread: [3.5] Deth Muncher's Homebrew

1. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Deth Muncher's Homebrew

This and the next few posts will be about the homebrew for this oneshot.

MARIO

ITEMS

Mushrooms:
    Due to the strange nature of the Mushroom Kingdom, odd mushrooms have been known to grow there. PCs with ranks in Knowledge: Nature may well find some of these for their own use - they are known to grow near bushes, or due to their abundant nature, may be found in crates that people have gathered.

Two varieties of mushroom are known to exhibit effects in the consumer - one, the Power Mushroom, gives the consumer the effects of the Enlarge Person spell for two minutes. The other, commonly known as the Poison Mushroom, gives the effect of Reduce Person for two minutes. A third type has been hinted at, but has not been found as of yet. Given their strange magical natures, however, they may not interact with other spells - you cannot counter or dispell either effect. Consuming either mushroom is equivalent to consuming a potion in regards to action use and attacks of opportunity.
    DC 5 K:Nature - This mushroom is magical in nature.
    DC 10 K:Nature - Know the effects of the two mushrooms.
    DC 10 Spot - Tell the difference between mushrooms (both are primarily red, but Power mushrooms have white spots and stems, whereas Poison have darker, beige-y yellow spots and stems).

The Starman:
    The Starman is a rare find indeed - the Mushroom Kingdom has long regarded Stars as mystical entities, having had them be connected to the well-being of the entire kingdom for generations. The Starman is not a true Star, like are commonly rescued by a certain Italian plumber - these are items of pure energy.
    The Starman is a difficult to locate item indeed - they are often hidden amongst trash, rubble, or even buried in the ground. They appear to be a small, yellow, five pointed star. It is thought that they might posses some level of sentience, though that is widely dismissed as hogwash. When someone comes into contact with a Starman, they are instantly filled with a surge of power, immediately coming under the effect of Haste as well as Stoneskin for 5 rounds, during which time the consumer glows with light that shifts colors at random, and has a catchy upbeat tune stuck in their head for the duration. A Starman may be saved for later use by scooping it into a jar, much like a fairy, but requires a DC 10 attack roll (for this purpose, a jar does not count as an improvised weapon). Failure results in the Starman being consumed.
    DC 10 K:Arcana - Recognize it for what it is.
    DC 15 K:Arcana - Know what it does and how to transport it.

Fire Flower:
    As you look down, you see a strange, glowing flower. The head of the flower appears to be ovaloid, and emits a slight amount of heat. If eaten, it has a strong cinnamonny flavor.
    The Fire Flower, also a common (but not too common) sight in the Mushroom Kingdom, grants the ability to use Produce Flame at CL 5 until the consumer takes damage, at which point the ability is lost.
    DC 5 K:Nature - This flower is MAGIC.
    DC 10 K:Nature - Know what it does and how to use it.

MONSTERS
    Goomba (thanks to Jjeinn-Tae for the base Goomba, which I've expanded on)
    Spoiler
    Show
    This strange creature looks like an angry brown mushroom with teeth. It shuffles around on two small feet.
    Small Magical Plant
    1d4 HD
    20ft move

14 Str 16 Dex 10 Con 8 Int 6 Wis 4 Cha

15 AC (11 Flat-Footed, 15 Touch)
    Saves: 0 Fort, +5 Ref, -2 Will

Attack: Goombullrush (1d4+2 per 5 feet opponent has moved), Jumping Headbutt (10ft reach, can be used in coordination with a charge, 1d4 bludgeoning with explosive dice. Puts them next to their opponent at the end.)

Special: Goombas may not make Attacks of Opportunity. Goombas take double damage from Bludgeoning attacks and Unarmed Strikes. Some Goombas are Winged, and receive all benefits thereof.

Advancement: Goombas never naturally grow in size, but in order to present balance for the game, may have as many HD as the PCs. Their challenge rating is always negligible.

Treasure: 1 gold coin.

Bob-omb
    Spoiler
    Show
    Small Construct
    1d10HD +10
    20ft move
    Small size.
    14 Str 16 Dex 10 Con 0 Int 6 Wis 4 Cha
    15 AC (11 Flat-Footed, 15 Touch)
    Saves: 0 Fort, +5 Ref, -2 Will
    Attack: 1d4+2 Slam (+2), Kaboom! (2d6, see special)
    Special: Construct traits, Kaboom! - When reduced to 0 HP, or as a Swift action, a Bob-omb can enter self-destruct mode (it is a bomb, after all). It explodes in 1d4-1 rounds after initiating - if the result is then 0, it automatically explodes. Regardless of when it explodes, it is destroyed in the process, and explodes in a 5ft radius (i.e. all adjacent squares), and has a DC 12 Reflex save for half damage. In the event that it has a positive number of rounds before it explodes, it starts to glow. It can be picked up and thrown at a range of 10ft, using the rules for Alchemist's Fire aiming. It will then explode on contact, but if held when it would explode, it explodes on the person who was holding it, and they take full damage with no save. This ability may be used on an attack of opportunity, though they will only explode on the AoO if they roll a 1 on the d4.
    Treasure: None.
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2011-06-18 at 06:28 PM.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.