*sniff* *sniff*

Forcing my eyes open, I realise my nose is twitching.

*sniff* *sniff*

I double check the clock.

02:24:32

Who’s barbequing at this hour?

Rolling out of bed, I grab my dressing gown and go to take a look. As I leave the apartment the smell gets noticeably less pungent…In my apartment?

Quick about turn and to the kitchen. I open the door to a large fire, already beyond the scope of the extinguisher. The cupboards and dry foods have already caught and flames lick the walls. There’s an obvious sorce on the lit hob…a pan of crispy burnt burgers frying. Someone had been in my apartment! Right. What do you do in a fire?

Stop, drop and roll.

No that’s if you’re on fire…Get out!

Automatically I head for the nearest lift. No! Stairs only in a fire. I turn around again and take the first flight. Two more to go. I don’t want to end up in the basement by mistake.

One floor to go…why isn’t the fire alarm sounding? I hit an emergency panel as I go past.

Nothing.

I can’t let 12 floors of people burn! Dashing back in I charge up the stairs. Fire travels up so I tell myself to start evacuating from the floor above mine and work up before returning for those below. As I start to wake people they help and the building is soon evacuated. No mess. No drama. Just out, The fire was closing in a bit as we got back down but nothing too bad

Phew. Everyone safe.

Suddenly a man from the crowd is shouting “TIMMY! TIMMY! Has anyone got my son?! TIMMY!”. I don’t recognise him.

Which floor do you live on?

“Twelve. Timmy’s only a baby. I thought someone had grabbed him because he wasn’t in his crib!”

Of course. We’ve left a baby in an inferno. My burgers. My responsibility...even if it isn’t! Turning I dive back inside.

This journey isn’t anything like the first. The heat is intense and the smoke thick and acrid. I tear off a portion of my shirt to breathe through but it barely helps.

Staggering I raise my head to check the floor number…8! I’m losing track of time. I’m losing the ability to count! I battle on.

Finally at the top floor. Into the man’s apartment. Everything’s on fire! The wallpaper, the hangings, the sofa’s the bed…not the cot though! I hurry over. The man must have been mistaken - there’s a bundle in there. Please don’t let him be dead! Reaching out I pick up…a bundle of rags! With a note on top. I make an attempt at reading.

No babies survived the plague.

You know that.

Idiot.
I turn to try and flee but the roof’s collapsed behind me. I hadn’t even noticed. I look to the window but it’s double thickness safety glass. Shut and locked.

In a way the inevitability brings tranquillity.

Lying down I take off my make-shift mask, breathe deep and let the fumes send me to sleep…

Summary: Firemeier was Killed. He was a Villager.
Day 15 begins now and ends in no less than 48 hours.

Note: Away this weekend and I’m on my way home when the update is due. At any point after the 48 hours are up Lex, RL or myself will update as soon as we’re able so get those votes in early to avoid disappointment!