1. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Base Class] A new source of Precision Damage [PEACH]

Barrage damage looks like a renamed version of Rend, a common monster ability that deals extra damage when you hit with multiple natural attacks. WotC even printed a TWF version for players (Two-Weapon Rend). The need to make at least 3 attacks (even if you need to hit with only 2) makes it ridiculously hard to use until you have a +6 BaB, and all but impossible at level 1 unless you want to waste a feat you'd get anyways the next level. Other than that, Ziegander summed up most of my complaints about Barrage (hard to use, only applies once per round, etc.).

Storm Strike is very bad. It applies crippling attack penalties to a fighting style that itself applies nontrivial attack penalties, all on a character with only mediocre attack bonuses to begin with. A Storm Blade making a simple 3 attacks, including one from Two-Weapon Fighting or Rapid Shot (as normal for 2nd-7th level Storm Blades) suffers a whopping -8 penalty on attack rolls.

The class lacks class features. Stormy Blows are okay, but are very few, aren't that amazing (roughly equivalent to an Ambush feat), and, well, that's it.

A d6 hit die and medium BaB does not make a frontliner, especially one expected to sit still and full attack all the time (the only way other than Manyshot at level 8+ to trigger Barrage). Having only 2+Int skill points from a paltry list ensures that the class can't do anything else, either.

Edit: Check out the Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip maneuver (TC 7 or thereabout, I'm AFB) from Tome of Battle for more rending goodness. It's like a Barrage that actually works.
    Last edited by Garryl; 2011-09-16 at 04:00 PM.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium