1. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Base] With the Blood of Dragons!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    I'm torn. On the one hand, the premise of this class is awesome, and you executed it perfectly. On the other hand...dead levels.

Worse, 3 dead levels in a row! The wizards are getting 9th level spells, the initiators are getting 9th level maneuvers, the manifesters are getting 9th level powers and you...get nothing.
    I agree with you, but I hit a dead spot and was having trouble thinking of something. I'm working on it. Suggestions always welcome though.

Also, you have Listen, but not Spot. I know it's on the Mage's skill list, but seriously. That should be a general one, if Listen is. It would be like giving him Hide, but not Move Silently, or Climb, but not Jump or Swim.
    Fixed.

From the Blood of Dragons: Needs the (Sp) tag, but more importantly, needs a spell list. You say "cantrips", so I assume you're choosing arcane spells, but from what list? Sor/Wiz? Dread Necro? Hexblade? Bard?

You also didn't state any prerequisites for the martial maneuvers. As written, a first level dragonborn could grab Time Stands Still and White Raven's Charge at 1st level.

Finally, getting Trapfinding is a slap in the face when you don't have Disable Device or Search as a class skill. Seriously. I know the Thief class gets DD and Warrior gets Search, but since this From Blood of Dragons feature seems to be independent of the paths (from what I can tell, you get all three at 1st level, regardless of the path you chose), then it's just bad.

And that's another thing. Why does the warrior get Search, but not the Thief? Are you intending to stretch the Thief thin, and force a dragonborn who wants to play a rogue-like character to take Warrior at least once just so he can use the most basic of basic rogue abilities effectively? That just seems...bad. Sorry man, I'm trying to be nice here, but this doesn't make sense to me.
    Spell-like tag and spell-list clarification added and note about maneuvers. As for trap finding, I toyed with giving Sneak Attack dice, but I didn't like that so put in trap finding.

The search skill for Warrior was an oversight. That's what I get for working on this during classes.

Also, you only pick one at first level. You don't get all of them. I added clarification

Paths (Thief): Hide in Plain Sight, in any environment, at level 4? Geez...well, if you think that's balanced. The other abilities look nice, though I would definitely change your wording on Poison Use to say "a weapon" instead of "a blade". As written now, you still poison yourself when attempting to poison an arrow, which shouldn't be happening. Also, Search needs to be a class skill here.
    That was supposed to be a bonus on Hide checks, which grows, then becomes Hide in Plain Sight at Master. Fixed.

And fixed.

Mage: This looks fine, though I would start them off with Scribe Scroll, because why not, right?
    Why not.

Warrior: Noooooo! You cut off at the best part! How does the Warrior get strength beyond any man? TELL ME! Damnit! I hate cliffhangers. Anyway, this looks good, though you need to put some restrictions on the initiator level cap for stances you gain (there isn't one, as written, so RAW you can gain any stance every time you advance, rather than one you would qualify for as a warblade of your level -2)
    Added. And fixed.

Shouts: Interesting mechanic. Well made. I like it.
    Thank you. I rather like it.

Inspiring Hero: One little quibble, this will probably really make the bard feel useless, but if there is no bard in the party, it's pretty good.
    Reasonable, but it feels right. If you have an alternate suggestion I'd happily entertain it.

Dragon's Bane: This is vague, and vague is not good in D&D. (Vagueness is why Ironheart Surge gets ToB banned at tables). You need to state exactly what qualifies as "engagement" for this class feature.
    Fixed. Oh Iron Heart Surge, you have taught us much.

Draconic Fortitude: Wait wait, so your own alignment is what damages you? You're super immune to evil, but a holy source harms you, if you're a good creature? Based on how alignment spells like unholy blight work, this is very unsupported. I think this should be reversed. The DR being penetrated by the opposite alignment isn't signifying that you're weak to that alignment, it's showing how resistant you are to your own. As written here, you're weak to your own alignment which just doesn't make any sense.
    It was indeed supposed to be reversed.

Poison Immunity: Druid gets the 14th level ability at level 9, so yeah, I can see this being balanced.
    Can't tell if sarcasm or serious. Please advise.

Without Fear: Er....alright. One big pile of immunities, but okay...
    In fairness, Fear is neither the most powerful nor the most common type of Mind-Affecting effect player's are faced with.

On Dragon's Wings: This is actually generally based on the Size of a creature (larger creatures get triple their land speed when they have wings, at least, with dragons). I guess that would be kind of unfair to include in a class feature though. This is useful. Extraordinary flight always is.
    I love (Ex) flight. Yes I do.

Blessing of the Nine Divines: Again, this is a little vague. You should instead grant yourself immunity to one spell that must overcome spell resistance, similar to a magic immunity of a golem. After all, you can't ignore a spell "that was cast against you" if that spell were, say, summon monster IX, you know. Or even major image.
    Good point. Fixed.

Detect Draconic Presence: Is this automatic, like scent, or is it something the dragonborn has to concentrate on?
    Concentrated on. I made a note of it.

Hero of Legend: Phoenix ability. Nice. You should add that it doesn't cause level loss. But what happens if, when he was going to be revived, the spot where he died was encased in an antimagic field?
    Hadn't thought of that bit. I'll add a clause for it.

Thanks for the PEACH!
    Last edited by TravelLog; 2012-01-06 at 08:16 PM.
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam