Session 1
In which our protagonists find themselves in quite a predicament, try to make a journey, and personalities come at odds over snow, sorcery and goblin necks.

rude awakenings
Spoiler
Show
Lynn awoke. she was feeling cold and aching all over. she lay still for a moment feeling the pain. good. it means i'm still alive. what in Chrone's name just happened? as she tried to catch her breath, flashes of the last day and few hours passed in her mind.

there was the voyage, to New Tesh. there was supposed to be work there. work would be good. i'm down to my last silvers. who was on the voyage? there was the captain and... that woman, the pretty one, who danced on the deck "for beauty to be shared". Lynn almost threw up. she started to get up, achingly. the storm seemed to have passed, and from the holes in the ship it was still early morning.

and there were others... the sneaky shifty looking baby robber, that skinky halfling. and the other short fellow, the one that looked like a sailor. gnome! if any of these buggers did this! Lynn rose and found herself in the wreckage of the ship. she started moving about, despite the pain, looking for survivors. and then there was that big fellow who never left his chamber. but then She heard a voice, a cry! Lynn rushed towards the sound.

A challenge worthy of any fighter!
Spoiler
Show
The cry seemed to have come from... a baby. Rudy Kingstone. where is his mom? Lynn found her nearby, but the woman was unconcious. the crying baby was... outside of her normal expertise. she tried to calm him, with partial success. only her furs helped warm him down a bit. but she did not know how to calm the wailing beast any more.

I better try find the others. she went to try to find help. ANY help.

Taking Stock
Spoiler
Show
Teal'c rose up in his shattered cabin, put on his cloak and checked his extremities. the huge half orc came out and tried looking for survivors as well. Ayla the priestess of Candra which was thrown outside the ship saw two of the dead crew and started to scramble up towards the ship. Glimji the gnome woke and found on of the other passengers, a guy named Tom Pierce and captain Eshton, with a badly twisted and broken leg.

meanwhile, near the back room the halfling known as Killpi wakes up. he asses the situation, and smiles to himself "Where there is trouble, there is opportunity!" and immeidately goes to the captain's chambers (or what its left of them, and tries to rummage through them. the chest however proves quite difficult and frustrating to the little thief.

the rest gather near Eshton, with Ayla being able to heal and wake the unconcious Diana' Rudy's mother (thankfully!) but Ashton is alarmed "we must contain the air elemental before it escapes! there is a stone in my chambers that can calm it if brought to it's circle. but we don't have time, hurry!"

Teal'c reveals himself, and Lynn nearly wields her flail at it. "halflings and gnomes, and now an orc?! lovely!" but they don't have time to change blows, and rush towards the captain's room

"why didn't you say so?"
Spoiler
Show
where they find the suddenly very innocent Killpi. "did you find any special stones?" asks Ayla. "stones? me? i was just trying to recuperate." the desk yields no stones. "forget it yells Lynn, we'll have to deal with it ourselves" they open the door to the elmental room where they see it going half berserk in it's containing circle. Ayla cursed "we can't contain it without the Stone!" upon which Killpi volunteers it "oh... you mean THIS stone? i found it near me, thought someone might miss it".

at the table
Spoiler
Show
we knew the player stole the stone, but we rolled along with it. much more fun like this we think. there will be similar examples in the future.

as they rushed to the elemental however it was allready to late. the circle broke and the little storm cloud charged at them!

A short winded affair
Spoiler
Show
Lynn threw the stone at the elemental's feat, hoping against hope. it shattered. Killpi's eye twitched a bit ("Was it worth much?", "you'll never know now, will you?") the airy creature was hard to hit, but as Lynn and Teal'c flanked it they were able to hit it powerfully with flail and axe. Killpi unfurled his hidden chains and lashed at the creature as Glimji (looking slightly weary of Lynn and her Fist emblazoned armor) shot at it with his crossbow. a few hits afterwards the windy storm flew past Teal'c towards the outside.

"It might get to the others!" Lynn shouted and ran after it. Ayla and Teal'c closely behind. the halfling and gnome stood behind impassive. "stupid tall folks..."

a secret partnership
Spoiler
Show
Glimji eyed the halfling with an expert eye. "so what were you doing here?" Killpi looked innocent. "oh, i just like to... look". "really? i like to... look as well." there was a slight stanoff between the two before Killpi let out a curse, took out his thieves tool, trying to hide the burglary from the gnome. but Glimji spotted him.

"if you're going after that, i want my share!". "allright! we'll be partners!" said the sour halfling as the chest clicked. "i just want the fare for the ride. i didn't count crashing on my flight trip!" Killpi smiled widely and gave the gnome his due, when they both heard some commosion outside. "stupid tall folks got into new trouble?"

snow goblins!
Spoiler
Show
meanwhile, the other 3 reached the outside to see the air elemental flying free, but there was new trouble- green skins! near the opening to where Eshton and the rest lay, 6 of the buggers!

"halflings and gnomes and orcs, and now goblins? by Chrone!" Lynn waded through the snow to block the 3 nearest goblins, with Teal'c closing in to fight back to back. the gringy green skins through javelins at them, most of them hitting but partly blocked by the armor (see the rules above). but 6 against 2 was not an easy fight. Lynn has a terrible time hitting them, while Teal'c slices goblin limbs left and right (nice crits!)

But Ayla helped both by curing and by casting guidnace. the fight went well, but the wounds were many. finallythe two short folks (I knew I couldn't trust the cowards!) came and shot croosbow bolts and struck with spiked chain to end all but the last of the filthy goblins.

outnumbered, the green bugger panicked and ran behind a snow fall, with Glimji's bolt hitting it, but not killing it.

the first "serious" battle was over.

at the table
Spoiler
Show
this battle was actually quite tough. due to the "dex to hit" rule they almost never missed. the DR of the armor prevented this of being brutal. these new rules take a little to get used too.

Decisions, FAST decisions
Spoiler
Show
"nice to let that last one run away gnome. any votes as to how fast this place is going to swarm with goblins?" the party returned to Eshton Diana and her baby and Tom. "nice fight Orc, you seem to know how to swing that axe" says Lynn, a bit uncomfortably. "It's half orc, and you're almost ok, for a human." Teal'c replies.

while outside Ayla and Lynn noticed some small village in the valley. "oh, i found some maps in the snow, perhaps they could help?" volunteered Killpi. it looked to be the village of Far Reach. "I can lead you there" said Tom "I have some woods experience" (not a ranger, just woodsman skills) "but we'll have to move fast if we want any chance of arriving there before dark. and it will be FREEZING here come night fall!

while a small heated discussion started, of whether to take Diana and/ or Eshton Ayla found a healing kit and started using her considerable skills at healing the worst of the wounds (see rules). Tom and Killpi (who never said it) were for leaving at least Eshton behind- the broken leg was just too much, but the rest objected.

"We're leaving no one to either the cold or the goblins Pierce!" said Lynn. "we're taking them with us. anyone objects?" loomed Teal'c menacing above. that... settled the issue. Glimji with his makeshift carpentry skills and Ayla quickly sets Eshton leg, and build a makeshift harness for Teal'c and the party sets off quickly. there is little time and goblins surely behind!

riders on the snow
Spoiler
Show
... or perhaps just in front. Glimji, weary of ambush checks the snow every once inawhile, and notcies some wolf prints near a snow bank. just in time he alerts the groups from 3 goblins on wolves in ambush!

the party take cover behind the snow back, but the wolves start to circle it. Lynn curses "halflings and gnomes and goblins and now wolves?! by Chrone!" and draw a spear to skewer one of the goblin. the rest follow suit with ranged attacks and take off the riders fast, while the wolves become afrenzy at their master's death and close in.

once again Teal'c and Lynn fight hand to hand, with Glimji mumbling something behind "i could have taken them all by now you racist egocentric b**ch"Teal'c slices wolves as he slices goblins. "We work together, yes? grins Killpi as he maneuvers swiftly amongst the wolves for a flanking position, only to be bitten severly and retreating fast behind "i'll... support from the back."

in the end however the threat is done with. Ayla uses her Healing kit to patch up the party a bit. Killpi takes a crossbow from one of the halflings, and even Eshton takes another. Diana is beside herself, trying to hush little Rudy, while Tom looks worried.

Should i stay or should i go?
Spoiler
Show
and he is worried for a reason. "we won't get to the village at time. we need to move faster. we can keep Diana, but we need to get rid of Eshton. sorry Captain- it's either you or us!" Glimji gets mad at him, and tries to threaten him but succeeds quite poorly, his voice breaking and stammering in the cold (lousy influence roll) but the party won't do it non the less...

so they make as much possible distance as they can as the sun starts to set. then, under Tom Pierce's instructions they quickly build a small Lean- to to house themselves for the night. there is a bad feeling in the air, and the cold starts getting at people. a fire and the furs help, but the night holds other dangers.

on the identity of sorcery
Spoiler
Show
Lynn's watch is the first, while there is the briefest of lights.Chrone help me! what a tangled mess this is! if we can only reach the village so i can be off of that bastard halfling, scoundrel looking gnome and... the rest. i just want a job. hopefully the gobli...

several small javelins fell in and on the lean to. a green flame burst far and shot towards the cover as well! "Wake up everyone! there is a sorcerer!" gritted Lynn (from somewhere in the distance came a complaining voice. "i'm not a sorcerer!"

Can't let him cast more spells! must close with him and kill him fast! that's the only way to deal with mages! Lynn rushed on, trying to make way in the snow and taking cover from the trees. Teal'c followed close behind and Ayla in tow.

Meanwhile Killpi tried to sneak throgh the snow at a... slightly different route. Glimji also stayed behind, but without the others seeing cast dancing lights towards the origin of the flame.

more javelins came, more accurate this time, and again the flame, most missing. "you won't win sorcerer! you've shown your hand! your time has come!", "but i told you- i'm not a sorcerer!"

the goblin caster was revealed by the lights, a crafty and witchy goblin, wielding a club that glowed slightly ("maigc loot" thought Killpi) and Lynn was finally getting close to it, when the snow erupted goblins!

Lynn, Teal'c and Killpi started fighting them, disposing of them most when the not- sorcerer came in and bashed Lynn strongly on the head (Shillelagh). she was flanked by him and his cronies.

by Chrone, don't let me end here! not like this! and Chrone came to Lynn's help might be said, giving her quick responses to a quick jab. Teal'c faired bad, fighting in the cold performing much worse than in the morn (bad fumbles) while Killpi struck true time after time, but the enemy was still strong.

when suddenly a sleep spell struck the enemy, toppling one goblin and failing to affect the chief. "your tricks won't help you now Sorcerer, by Chrone you will die!" , "but. i'm. not. a .sorce..." heavy flail to the face.

the battle was won.

"damn it was his spell... it isn't magic after all" said Killpi disapointedly.

pin the magician
Spoiler
Show
the goblin spirit shaman (i mean sorcerer) had a tattoo of a black leaf on himself. the party tied the sleeping goblin and dragged him to the lean to when Killpi innocently remarked "i wonder who cast that sleep spell? there must be mages about... nasty stuff!" Lynn (tended by Ayla) grumbled. "indeed. one sorcerer from outside, and one from within. we cannot abide by this! magic is evil" (Glimji shifts a bit), "corrupt", (more shifting), "and must be stopped!" (discreet coughing and going to the side).

" the gnome did it! everyone knows they are mages!" Tom said. "you tryto put the blame on someone else so soon?" inquired Killpi. "they always say that the first one to blame... well, you know what i mean". "does it matter?" added Glimji. "it must have been some off the sorcerer's magic items or the like. magic can go off, doesn't it?"

"enough!" said Lynn. "halflings, gnomes, orcs, goblins, wolves, sorcerers without and now secrets! i'll have no more! i won't persecute you mage, whomever you are. you have helped us in this fight, maybe saved my life. when we get to the village you can go free, but i don't want anything to do with you, and i demand to know ho i'm traveling with!"

"it's know that sorcerers need their magic pouches for their spell materials to cast spells. so whomever has it is the one. Lynn was then quite expertly distracted by Killpi as Glimji secretly transferred his pouch to him, and later unto Tom. (nice thievery rolls). upon finding it on the bewildered Tom Lynn looked on him with disgust. "i'll keep your secret sorcerer, but leave us be at the village." "it is good that we've found him out! sorcerers are a nasty thing to keep about!" said Killpi, giving Glimji a meaningful look.

a new char... acter
Spoiler
Show
and then there was the matter of the goblin prisoner. "Char hope he did not annoy you! Char can go, yes?" Glimji tried to question him. "us? we goblins? we live in big caves, up mountain!", "how many? many many! more then fingers even! more than many many fingers!", "village? uh... we have understanding. we don't go to village, village don't come to us. Char be helpful, yes? Char can go?" and so on and so on. some say to kill him, but Glimji is vehemently against it so the party decides to take him along.

Lynn knelt By Glimji, putting her hand on his shoulder. "Char, this is what you get for following sorcerers. sorcerers are never good. sorcerers are a blight on the land, upon people's souls. they are a foul thing that must be cleanzed and purged from the earth. why are you shivering Glimji?"

"you don't kill Char? ooooohhh good! Char so relieved! Char help carry stuff! Char be helpful, you don't kill Char, yes?" Glimji tucked the goblin to the back of the lean to. "i'll take care of you Char. even if that b**ch is around"

a Knife in the Dark, and a secret conversation as well.
Spoiler
Show
Back to sleep, it's Killpi's watch this time (though most of the party is somewhat... weary of letting HIM guard). but the surprises never end! at his watch, Killpi suddenly feels a thump on his neck (the DM fumbled the Sneak attack) he turns to find Tom!

the grin on Killpi's face was precious. "why Tom! I was so hoping you'll do something like this." at fisrt he sliced the traitor with the spiekd chain, and then shot him with a cross bow as he ran. then he looted the corpse, and THEN he alerted us to the situation. "i caught the sorcerer trying to escape. it's good to have me around, yes!"

Lynn said a little prayer "and good riddens to bad magic.". oh, and i've found this blood encrusted letter on him, is it important?" added Killpi.

letter
Spoiler
Show
Day 3, month of the drawing down.

Mr. Pierce,

It seems that we cannot achieve an understanding about the way you should behave as part of the crew aboard the Sea Raven. We have spoken about this several times, yet you have not changed your ways. Your unfitting behavior as part of the crew on the Sea Raven is unacceptable and I have no choice but to end your service on the ship.

Please meet me at The Lost Drunken Inn at the docks for the rest of your payments at a total sum of 1 silver and 24 copper.

Don Black
captain of the Sea raven

the party examined the letter but decided to deal with it once they reach Far Reach. apparently there was more to the late Mr. Pierce than met the eye.

as the party returned to the lean- to Killpi and Glimji stayed in the dark. "the letter was all you found on him?" asks Glimji. "that and his wepaon". "that all? no coin, valuables?" Killpi narrowed his eyes. "ok, i'll give you half, it was my kill!" (handed quite less than half) "very well, just as long as we know each other, thief and burglar". "well understood, sorcerer" finished Killpi, handing him the component pouch back.

last leg of the trek
Spoiler
Show
thankfully, the rest of the night passes without trouble (wounded, no healing spells, only 4 uses of the healing kit left). the party heads twoards the village. on the way Char grumbles and complains about some of the stuff they give him "oooh! heavY ooohh! lots! Char small! heavy load! ooohh!" and so on. the party tries to threaten/ cajole him a few time, and he becomes silent for about 10 minutes, after which he begins again. Glimji is half amused half worried about this.

finally the party reaches Far Reach. as they near the village Char seems nervous "Char keeps his words, he goes now, yes? human might be angry!" some in the party want to free him (Glimji mostly) the others want to take him inside, curious.

a bad village to be a goblin in
Spoiler
Show

(just in day light)

as the party enters the village a group of men come to meet the group. a burly strong men introduces himself as Ed Weiner (snicker snicker), the village's sheriff. he hears some of the party's story and his men help Eshton and Diana and Rudy to safety.

"The goblin, his kind are not allowed here. give him to us." Char is fearful, and the party is suspicious but they give the goblin over. "don't stray too far. you can find lodging at Rod McPool's place. he'll take care of you for a little while."

but the party stays, wanting to see the fate of Char, when suddenly a rope is brought, thrown over a tree and a noose is prepared. Killpi and Glimji immediately interfere, trying to trick and persuade the town people to let the goblin go.

halflings, gnomes, orcs, goblins, wolves sorcerers and treachery, and now this? he tried to kill us not 12 hours ago! has the world gone crazy oh Chrone?! exasperated, Lynn approaches Ed and his men and tries to persuade him too. "allright! if all of you want him alive so badly he'll go. you green skin loving freaks!" Char is let loose, and with remarkable speed runs out of the village.

a matter of assurance
Spoiler
Show
Ed groups the party together. "look strangers, we don't get many of you here in our little village. especially not people like... these" he eyes Teal'c, Killpi and Glimji wearily. "so i want you to vouch for each other while you're here. you're all responsible for each other's actions.

"what? no way i'm responsible for that b**ch!"

"the orc and the human Mrs. Cheerful? not on your life!"

"the gnome and the halfling? those theiving basterds!? like hell i will!"

and so on and so on...

in short, we're off to a GREAT start!

----------------------------------------------
so that was our first session, written quite differently from how i usually write. hope you like it, would love to hear comments. till next time!