View Single Post

Thread: Sanguine Blade (3.5e Creature, PEACH)

1. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Sanguine Blade (3.5e Creature)

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    How often can it create a weapon? X times per day? once every X rounds?
    It can be done once each round, but then they don't get to attack.

The ranged weapon is a shard? Really with a Str and Dex of 13, it can throw something 100 feet? If it were a bow-like projectile I could suspend my disbelief a lot better but there is just no way I can see some crystalline blob throwing a shard of itself that far, especially since it has no feats or skills. Throwing a crystal shard would be the same as throwing a dagger. However, you have it as doing 1d8 damage, which suggests it is bigger. Daggers do 1d4 and I recommend the shard do the same. Otherwise, you have this creature effectively throwing crystal swords at its enemies and that presents a few issues.
    That was a copy and paste error from a previous ability which created organic longbows from a homebrew creature I made a long time ago (and is severely broken). I've put to 50ft which was my orginal idea for this creature.

First, you left off how often it can throw a shard. If it can throw one every round that's going to be a lot of shards (more on this later).
    Once per round. It is a normal attack.

How far can it even sense enemies? Please see Ooze Type and in particular Traits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#oozeType). Oozes are blind and should have blindsense. Generally, blindsense is 60 feet, but this should have blindsense 120 ft. Otherwise, its weapon range exceeds its blindsense and it would miss its target.
    I can't believe I forgot this after making two other oozes recently.

Let's play with verisimilitude here. How much does your ooze weigh and how much does each shard weigh? I ask because if it is throwing weapons willy-nillly, it loses bits of itself. Does it get any smaller or lose hit points if it throws too many? How often can it use its special ability? Once per round? If it is throwing significant chunks of itself, it loses mass and probably hit die.
    I didn't think about this. I'll try and put it into a mechanical form. But if it gets to a stage were it would get too weak it will lose its bloodshards.

Example: *Snip*

The best thing the PCs can do is put an unseen servant between themselves and the ooze. *Snip* It's a boring encounter, but defeats the monster.

Debby
    The damage and statistics of Bloodshard are actually based off a Longbow, the shards are only a bit larger than an arrow its just they are amazingly sharp and it throws them with a good amount of strength. So the weight would be different than your given but I see your point.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-03-28 at 08:21 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png