Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
I have heard people who were clearly just intolerant say "It's a phobia, I can't help that I hate those disgusting gays. They just freak me out like spiders freak some people out."
Spiders are fascinating and useful little creatures.
They're also immensely creepy. They scare me a lot. They don't react rationally, and they scare me so much I want them dead. But I'm so terrified all I can do is run away shrieking like a little girl or wait for someone else to do the brave thing. Now, they freak me out, they definitely are a phobia of mine, but that doesn't mean my reaction is justified, or even logical.

... I'm sure I was getting somewhere with this.
Wait, wait, I remember.
There is no way two people kissing or holding hands can freak you out as much as a horrible arachnid crawling in your direction. Seriously.
Phobias are also largely irrational.
And you have no right to call people disgusting just because they do in public what you would do
(loving a consenting adult or person in the same age range, holding hands with their significant other, kissing, whatever else considerate couples do publicly).
Now, spiders are disgusting. But that's because they're spiders. Very different species, very different life, very unlikely to be sentient, and absolutely no concept of empathy. Y'know. Not people.

@pffh: that is a horrifying image.
As terrifying as any other image of spiders mating.
Or plain spiders.
*shudders*