View Single Post

Thread: A 3.5 Elf Rewrite. Please PEACH!

1. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A 3.5 Elf Rewrite. Please PEACH!

No, sorry, what I meant to say was, this Elf rewrite still feels pretty weak to me, and that maybe if you read about the Deep Imaskari you could find a way to blend your Elf and the Deep Imaskari together to build a stronger, more interesting race. The only attractive thing about it is that it's got the highly sought after bonus to Intelligence, but it still gets that debilitating Constitution penalty.

Compared with the Deep Imaskari, your Elf gets a few skill bonuses and the situational bonuses vs spells, but the Deep Imaskari trades the Constitution penalty for a Dexterity penalty and gets a free recall of a 1st level spell, better for a caster than cantrips.

I just got an idea, and it's maybe too powerful, I don't know: Elves get a racial ability that gives them an arcane caster level equal to their character level, regardless of character class. Elf Fighter 10? Has an arcane caster level of 10.

What about this?

Elf Racial Traits
    +2 to any one Mental ability score (Int, Wis, or Cha), -2 to any one Physical ability score (Str, Dex, or Con).
    Medium. As medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties based on size.
    Base land speed is 30 feet.
    Low-light vision. Elves can see twice as far as normal in cases of poor illumination.
    +2 racial bonus on all Spellcraft and Use Magic Device checks. Elves are naturally adept at handling magic, and are educated in it from a young age.
    +2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks. Elves are quite aware of their surroundings.
    Trance: Elves do not sleep. Instead, they enter a sort of trance. It functions as a normal sleep, but the elf is aware of his surroundings as if here were awake, with the following penalties: he takes a -4 penalty on all perception based checks, and taking any actions immediately interrupts his trance.
    Magical Acolyte: An Elf has a caster level, both arcane and divine, that is the sum of his class levels, including non-spellcasting classes, even if he does not possess levels in any spellcasting classes. This caster level can be substituted for the caster level of any spellcasting classes he possesses, and it is increased or decreased as normal by all effects that increase or decrease caster level (such as Karma Beads or the Mage Slayer feat). This represents the magical tutoring all elves receive from an incredibly young age (by their standards).
    Automatic Languages: Common, Elven. Bonus Languages: Any.
    Favored Class: Any spellcaster.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2012-04-18 at 09:45 AM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!