1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VI: The Undiscovered Creature (Please Read the First Post)

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    Yes, but with a hand-drill, it's a lot of work... for EVERY single nail... when you have wood types readily available that DON'T have that annoying requirement.

I guarantee you that no one has to pre-drill holes when building wooden crates, boxes, and pallets.
    How about reinforced boxes where we can see there are indeed rivets?

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    And seriously, have any of you ever tried to hand-drill a hole through hardwood? Try it once, and then tell me with a straight face that you'd rather choose to go the hardwood route to build a complete box. ;)
    Irrelevant. I also could not use a sword for more than a minute without my arms giving up from the exertion or wear armour for an hour without dropping to my knees in exhaustion. Modern humans have gone soft since we developed electric tools and no longer have to work sunrise to sundown to feed ourselves. By the same measure, middle age people could not readily digest food that would have been common 100000 years before them thanks to advanced cooking techniques allowing them to move beyond eating raw stuff.

Unless you are prepared to present evidence that in the middle ages oak was never used for construction of sturdy objects, this line of thought is tinged by modern bias.

Edit: OK, so I went ahead and checked it myself. Oak was used for reinforced constructions that would be subject to major stress such as fermentation barrels (including metal bands with rivets) and ships. It was also an expensive wood used for flooring and paneling. As such, it might be that oak is the wrong wood to use here because of the cost (an entire massive box made out of it would be quite expensive), but on the other hand it fits the use it was put to in the comic perfectly.

Given that other woods do not significantly save on weight, I suppose we could change to pine or pruce. Does the DM manual say anything about materials used in reinforced doors?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-09-04 at 02:58 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est