1. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VI: The Undiscovered Creature (Please Read the First Post)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Except this create is not really a shipping container, but a crate used in a circus. Which is supposed to contain dangerous creatures. And from what I recall of my youth when circuses actually existed, would be kept outdoors as a matter of fact. So the rotting/waterproofing part of it would still be at the forefront of their concerns.
    Good points. Obviously, the longer the crate is meant to last (esp. if the crate is going to be sitting outside), the more likely the builder(s) is (are) to pick something like oak as material.

Crates normally aren't conceived as long-lasting items, but in this case (circus equipment, contains something precious), why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    However, the assertion that people with hand tools couldn't make stuff out of oak got my fightin' amateur historian blood up.

So I just got involved because of the oak, really!
    Same here! But in my case, it's the assumption that the "default" wood of choice for a crate would be something as precious and hard to work as oak that got my fightin' blood up, as someone who's been running a carpentry-heavy business for over a decade.

I have also noticed over the years that it's interesting to see which wood the crates and pallets are made from, depending on where they're from. We have several suppliers in Texas, their crates are always in Southern yellow pine. One California supplier sends us pallets made out of redwood. Around here pallets are pretty much always spruce.

Using hardwood for a crate struck me as... let's say, definitely nonstandard.
    Last edited by lio45; 2012-09-04 at 08:23 PM.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.