1. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest XXXVI: Traditionally Speaking!

The Ironwill

My fatigue does not bother me.
    My wounds are not there.
    My weaknesses do not exist.
    My mind and body are not broken.
    My death did not happen.
    For Thy Will Shall Be Done.
    - The Iron Mantra.

The idea that through the application of will you can shape the body is not a new one, but few people have taken the philosophy as far as the Ironwills. They survive and live by force of will and a simple refusal to lay down and die.

Becoming an Ironwill
    To become an Ironwill is simple but hard - one must have the ability to defy all but the greatest obstacles with unbreakable focus.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Alignment: Any Lawful
    Skills: Concentration 13 Ranks
    Feats: Diehard, Endurance, Iron Will, Steadfast Determination, Indomitable Soul
    Maneuvers: Must be able to initiate the following maneuvers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Action over Thought, Mind Over Body and Iron Heart Surge.
    Special: Must of succeeded on rolling a natural 20 for a Concentration check at least once.

Class Skills
    The Ironwill's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis) and Swim (Str)
    Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d12

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |I Am Not Tired!, Focus Without Measure

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |I Am Not Wounded!

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |I Was Not Caught Unguarded!, Endless Will

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |My Mind and Body Are Fine!

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |I Did Not Die![/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: An Ironwill gains no new proficiencies.

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
    1st|1|1|1
    2nd|0|0|0
    3rd|1|0|0
    4th|0|0|0
    5th|1|1|1
    [/table]

Maneuvers: At each odd-numbered level, an Ironwill gains new maneuvers known from the Diamond Mind and Iron Heart disciplines. An Ironwill must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. They add their full Ironwill levels to their initiator level to determine their total initiator level and their highest-level maneuvers known.
    At 2nd and 4th levels, an Ironwill gains additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances: At 1st and 5th level, an Ironwill learns a new martial stance from the Iron Heart or Stone Dragon disciplines. They must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

I Am Not Tired! (Ex) At 1st level, the Ironwill's focus gives him an unconscious ability to shrug off the shackles of slumber. The Ironwill gains immunity to fatigue, exhaustion and sleep effects. Additionally, the Ironwill now only needs two hours of sleep, although they must get 8 hours of rest (which can include the two hours of sleep) to refresh spells per day, powerpoints and other abilities.

Focus Without Measure (Ex): An Ironwill is a paragon of focus and a ruler of their mind. They gain a perfection bonus to Concentration checks equal to twice their Ironwill levels.

I Am Not Wounded! (Ex): An Ironwill is a strange being, as with focus they can force their bodies to work as if they were not cut - the wounds do not go away, but the bodies function perfectly as if they were not cut, but only for a time. Once every 3 rounds as a swift action, the Ironwill may make a Concentration check as a swift action, healing the Ironwill for an amount of hit points equal to the check's result. However, at the end of the encounter, the Ironwill cannot keep up this single-mindedness, and the healing is undone. The Ironwill immediately loses hit points equal to the hit points healed by this ability (this cannot be avoided or reduced in any way), and depending on the hit point loss, may indeed die from their wounds.

I Was Not Caught Unguarded! (Ex): At 3rd level, the Ironwill can swat away precise attacks at their weak points as if they were ordinary blows. Once per encounter as a free action, when the Ironwill would be subject to a critical hit, the Ironwill may immediately make a Concentration check with a DC equal to the critical hit's confirmation roll. If the check exceeds the roll, then the critical hit does not deal any extra damage and is treated as a normal attack.
    The Ironwill may also use this ability against a Sneak Attack, or any other precision attack, in which case the Concentration check's DC is equal to the attack roll. If successful, then the attack does not deal any extra damage and is treated as a normal attack.

My Mind and Body Are Fine! (Ex): At 4th level, the Ironwill can mend broken bones and shattered psyche by willing themselves well once more. This ability functions like I Am Not Wounded!, except instead of temporarily healing hit points, the Ironwill may heal ability damage, drain and burn equal to 1/4 of the Concentration check. Likewise, this healing is undone at the end of the encounter and could kill the Ironwill.

I Did Not Die! (Ex): At 5th level, if the mind is willing, the Ironwill will go on, even sidestepping death's door if need be.
    At 5th level, once per day the Ironwill may ignore one effect that would kill them, if they make a successful Concentration check (as a free action) against a certain DC. It it is hit point damage, then the DC is equal to the damage dealt by the attack (total damage if the attack is a full attack). If the attack has a save but no damage, then the DC is equal to the original save DC +15, and if the attack has no save or damage and just kills the Ironwill outright, then the DC is a whopping DC 100.
    If the Ironwill fails the Concentration check, then they die. If they succeed, then not only do they ignore the whole ability that their attacker used (not just the part that would've killed them), but they become immune to the same attack for the rest of the encounter if it was a Spell, Spell-like ability or Supernatural ability.
    At the end of the encounter, sadly all things must come to an end, and the Ironwill drops dead from the sheer strain of trying to defy their untimely end. However, the Ironwill simply drops dead of exhaustion (which is not negated by the Ironwill's I Am Not Tired! ability), possibly allowing for an easier resurrection.

Playing an Ironwill
    By [Diety], when will they stop!? - A very common curse said when fighting an Ironwill
    Combat: Combat continues as normal - the only difference is that you enter battle with the knowledge that it will take an army to bring you down, and only if they're lucky
    Advancement: The only advancement an Ironwill focuses on is the study of their mind, by sword or by tome.
    Resources: Monasteries of both the divine and the ascetic are excellent places for an Ironwill to learn their trade and hone their skills.

Ironwills in the World
    He.....he just wouldn't stop going! It took fourteen different divisions just to slow him down enough to negotiate a surrender! - Lord-General Barbarus (now deposed and executed), former ruler of the Black Mountains

Ironwills seem normal enough, although possibly look like they're stuck in a daydream even though they're probably engaging in small mental tricks to focus their mind. However, get them on the battlefield and you'll recognize them soon enough - he takes hits like a Tarrasque and dishes them out like the wrath of an angry deity.

Daily Life: Daily life continues as normal, although one common complaint is that as an Ironwill progresses in their teachings, they either become colder and emotionless, or a single-minded zealot without reprieve or thought for others.
    Notables: A notable Ironwill is Roarke, Conqueror of the Black Mountains (LN Half-Orc Warblade 10/Ironwill 5). After being heavily discriminated as a soldier in the human tyranny called the Kingdom of the Black Mountains his entire life, he raised a massive army and staged a successful coup to take control of the kingdom. After many years of a strong rule, he set up a school for martial adepts that still produces the finest Warblades and Ironwills in the nation, hundreds of years after Lord-General Roarke passed away.
    Organizations: The Unbreakable Temple in the Black Mountains is just one of the many temples that can and do train Ironwills, although the requisite focus means that many Ironwills do and prefer to be self-trained.

NPC Reaction
    Ironwills are normally seen as normal Martial Adepts until they get on the battlefield and shrug off an axe to the head, at which point much respect and fear is due.

Ironwills in the Game
    Not Dying: PrC Edition
    Adaptation: It's a simple PrC, but an idea is to change it to a PrC that aspires to gain the indomitability of a Construct.
    Encounters: Ironwills are encounters wherever you could find a Warblade and mostly being self-taught are thus more common than one would think.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2012-11-05 at 08:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486