1. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest XXXVI: Traditionally Speaking!

Knight of the Shackled Soul

"The chains I have placed upon my soul were of my own choosing. The ones I place on your body are another matter entirely."
    Kestrel Vain, a Knight of the Shackled Soul, debates ideals with a prisoner.

Knights of the Shackled Soul are the sometimes-praised, often-maligned servants of Law. Aligning themselves with the Outer Planes that serve lawful interests, they oppose chaos and disorder, as well as those who spread it, on the Prime Material Planes and sometimes beyond. Viewed by some as bulwarks against chaos and devastation and by others as the enemies of freedom and creativity, none can deny the power that the Knights wield in service to their otherworldly masters.

Becoming a Knight of the Shackled Soul
    The Knighthood of the Shackled Soul is, essentially, always recruiting. While they look for a particular combination of dedication to order, hatred of chaos, grit, zeal and intelligence, they don't mind having to train some of these qualities into candidates that lack them. Sometimes they join forces with churches dedicated to law and order and recruit from the congregation; other times they cooperate with lawful governments as special agents or retained mercenaries. From there they keep an eye on potential candidates to eventually induct into their august ranks.

Other times, an individual makes a strident service in the cause of law and order. Maybe they seal an Abyssal gate. Maybe the Knighthood hears tales of a sacred vow of silence that they upheld through forty days and nights of torture. Powerful clerics and champions of law catch their attention and the Knighthood sends recruiters after these people to sound them out. There's never any real pressure, at least in the sense of negative responses, but the Knighthood is completely unashamed to display their powers for the potential Knight in order to entice them with the promise of personal and mystical prowess.

Once a candidate is deemed ready to join the Knights, they offer her the Shackling Rite, wherein she swears service to one of the planes of law. This oath is expected to take precedent over and above any loyalty to a secular government or a deity or church, and candidates are warned of this well beforehand so as not to be caught between obligations. Assuming that they are not rejected (see the sidebar, below), the potential Knight feels the Chains settle over her and officially gains her new status.

Entry Requirements
    Alignment: Any Lawful
    Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 6 ranks, Craft (Metalworking) or Profession (Lawyer) 13 ranks
    Feats: Iron Will
    Special: The character must voluntarily undergo The Shackling Rite. The character cannot be forced through the rite, nor may they be magically controlled into undergoing it.

The Shackling Rite
    Spoiler
    Show
    To come

Class Skills
    The Knight of the Shackled Soul's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Appraise (Int), Concentrate (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Any, chosen individually) (Int), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier

Hit Dice: D8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Class Features

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Aura of Law, Forbid 1/Encounter|-

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Sense the Unrighteous|+1 level of existing class.

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Forbid 2/Encounter|+1 level of existing class.

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Summon Shackles|+1 level of existing class.

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Inviolate Decree 1/Encounter|-[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A place to put the different proficiencies.
    Put all the different class abilities in here!

PLAYING A CLASS NAME
    Brief description on how to play the class you are designing.
    Combat: Here's a section where you will describe common combat methods for your class. Remember to include information on how your class will use his powers in combat.
    Advancement: This is a section on different options and paths that the class can go down when they advance in power.
    Resources: What resources might a member of this PrC be able to draw on..

CLASS NAME IN THE WORLD
    A quote of somebody else talking about your class!

A brief description of how your class is persevered in the world and how he interacts with the world.
    Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.
    Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
    Organizations: Some information about organizations dedicated to the practice of your class and other organizations which members of your class will be attracted towards.

NPC Reaction
    This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

CLASS NAME IN THE GAME
    This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
    Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.
    Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2012-11-17 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig