1. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Introduction to the Warmage: Be all You can Be (which isn't much :/ )

Interesting guide. I've always thought the Warmage got a bum rap, probably being held to a high standard due to its full spellcasting: compared to the Warblade and Crusader, Warmage easily has as much versatility (similar flexibility with ability lists, plus WM has Eclectic Learning for whatever flexible/breakable spells it wants), a comparable level of power (black tentacles, orbs of X, Prismatic sphere and metamagicked rider effects on its spells don't make for a total slouch), and drastically more potential for upward growth (Warblade and Crusader can't do things like grabbing Versatile Spellcaster and jumping a couple levels into Recaster for free metamagicked Miracles and so forth); yet those classes are incredibly popular, and Warmage is avoided like the plague.

Also, 7 posts in a row about Warmage without one mention of Rainbow Servant? I think that's a first.
    Even as someone who rolls his eyes at justifications of the text-trumps-table rule in the RS's case, I have to say it's a huge boost to the Warmage - spontaneous access to the Cleric spell list is a drastic improvement, and compared to straight warmage, can even justify the loss of all those CLs.

This thread is relevant for ways to expand a Warmage's spell list, to make Warmage characters' casting more efficient. One omission I see that I have a soft spot for is Wild Soul from Complete Mage, which can access some useful spells and summons at the cost of a caster level.

Also worth noting is the the Runestaff+UMD combo that BF touts around; it's an easy way to add some versatility to a Warmage character.

I don't really get the Eschew Materials love - even if a thousand spell component pouches are smashed throughout a campaign, they would still be a bargain compared to a feat slot. Just carry a backup or two; some of the better warmage spells like Orbs don't even use components.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-12-06 at 06:40 PM.