View Single Post

Thread: The Town in the Ruins IC

1. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Town in the Ruins IC

Ardan was up at the first howl. The guardsman slept light, and the sensation of evil hit him like a bucket of water. By the time the din had grown enough that his siblings had awakened, he was already in full armor.

He considered quickly. In times like these, the people would gather at the park. The baying of the hounds sent a chill down his spine; he was imagining a pack of great mastiffs, darting through the crowds, tearing into people with their teeth. Even not knowing that these particular hounds would likely spew flame, it was a scary thought.

But only slightly less scary than the idea of such a dog rooting through his home, coming upon his siblings - two teenagers and a "mage" whose best battle spell could basically make the target blink really hard - while he was out on the streets.

"Come on," he told them as they gathered in the living room. "Stay close, stay behind me, and if someone you don't recognize approaches, scream."

"What's going on?" his elder sister asked, voice steady.

"My guess? We're under attack. I need to get out there and I can't be sure it's safe here, so you three are with me. Let's move."

His brother's eyes got hard, the youth going quick for the kitchen, coming back to pass knives to his sisters. Ardan gave him an agreeing nod, then warning, "Only if you need to use them," before leading his siblings out into the dark streets.

As he expected, people were heading for the park. He did what he could to keep them moving in an orderly fashion, calling out orders and encouragement. As they went, he'd try to form his people into a semblance of a marching order, trying to get the bigger, stronger, trained, or armed people at front and back, the younger and weaker - and his siblings - in center ranks, though even for the watchman, herding the frightened people into anything resembling order would likely be difficult at best.

He kept an eye out for anything that could be pressed into service as a weapon. Did he plan to have these people fight? Hades no! But if something came after them, he wanted to make sure they had as good a chance as he could give them to survive.

Once they reached the park, he bade his siblings to stay safe, and started through the throng, still doing what he could as he went to keep people calmer and more organized. He gazed across at the town hall, grip tightening on his hammer, and began to work his way through the crowd in that direction. The threat was there, which meant that that was where he needed to be.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2012-12-09 at 07:26 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide