1. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Feat Chains- THF, SnB, Reach, & Single-Weapon [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    One overall suggestion for these feats before I get to the individual responses: You might want to make everything that scales by HD scale by BAB instead, to make good BAB more meaningful as you said before.
    A lot of things scale off of BAB. If it still says HD, I propably left it there intentionally so a medium BAB is just as powerful as a full BAB class. I don't mind there being some fighting styles or feats where the two are more even.

Edit: I think I've changed everything to BAB now.

To simplify this a bit, I'd suggest just making this a cone that affects all enemies in the area, to be more in line with other shout/fear/etc. effects, and scale the area instead of the number of targets (something like 10 feet + 5 feet per 2 points of BAB). That's more for ease of resolution than balance, though, so it's up to you.
    Makes sense. I decided to start with 15+5/3 levels though, cause I'm not certain what a 10 ft. cone at first level would look like. If you think it should be adjusted up or down let me know.

Daze is generally a more valuable condition than stun since it's much harder to resist or become immune to it, so it should probably stun on a failed save or daze if it's failed by 5 or more.
    But Stun is the worse condition to be in; it's everything Daze is, plus and AC penalty and you drop your weapons. I don't mind changing either Daze and/or Stun to something else, but the worse effect should be on the worse fail IMO.

Just as a minor nitpick, you should probably clarify that the total range (distance from caster to fighter * 2) is limited by the spell's range.
    Y'know, it's funny that you bring that up...
    because I hadn't really decided which way I wanted to have it go. The way it's written now, it was INTENDED for the spells ranges to basically reset once it gets bounced back. If you think that really won't work, let me know.

A better phrasing for this would be "If you successfully negate an area spell, it is only negated for you, not for any other creatures in the area. You are not able to reflect area spells back at the caster."
    Yeah, that sounds better. I'll make the change.

*snip*

Putting those together, I'd change the benefit to the following: "While you wield a two-handed weapon, the first attack you make each turn against a target with damage reduction ignores that damage reduction; if you attack a target without damage reduction, you instead ignore an amount of armor and natural armor bonuses to their AC up to 1/4 your BAB." Nice, clean, and effective.
    Ok, I don't see anything wrong with that, except why only on the first attack each turn? That actually seems to promote charging rather than letting them stand toe-to-toe and just make a normal full attack.

I dislike the idea of disabling immunity to ability damage for a round. Your own attack ignoring immunity, sure, that means you're Just That AwesomeTM, but disabling it this way would seem to encourage the fighter hitting an ability-damage-immune creature so that his caster buddy can shivering touch or ego whip it, and while encouraging teamwork is nice I think that's too abusable.
    Yeah, I see that. With a regular group its a decent tactic. With a high-op group it's a killer strategy.
    So I'm torn, but I guess I'll do it your way.

Here's what I'd do instead: "When you score a critical hit with a two-handed weapon, you may forgo the extra damage from your weapon to instead deal 2 points of ability damage per point of critical multiplier to an ability score of your choice (6 points for a x3 weapon and so forth), aside from Constitution. If your target is normally immune to ability damage, you only deal half that damage."
    That works, but since I like rolling dice, how about 1d3 or 1d4 instead of a flat 2 points?

I don't think you need anything else; this basically turns every reach weapon into a spiked chain, and that should be good enough.
    I thought the feat wouldn't be exciting enough, but you're at least the second person to say they like it as is, so that shows how much I know, apparently.

You can probably remove that limit; the penalty is easier to track if it just affects everyone within your reach, and in a given battle you'll either be facing a handful of enemies (in which case you wouldn't get the full benefit anyway) or a ton of enemies (in which case you should be able to shine by harrying two dozen mooks).
    A previous reviewer commented that the feat was to powerful, so I halved the penalty and capped the number of targets. Since I was altering Roar of Challenge at the same time, I used the same cap.
    If I overcompensated, then I'll take it out.

This feat is essentially Stand Still++, and Stand Still can be taken at level 1, so I'd change the prerequisite to "BAB +6 OR BAB +3 and Stand Still" so it doesn't make someone who picked up Stand Still at 1st level feel like they wasted a slot.
    I did not know about the feat Stand Still; so I went and looked it up.
    I prefer my feat (obviously) because it's effective against a greater variety of encounters.
    I would suggest simply not taking "Stand Still" at first level, but I'll see if I can't come up with an alternate option as well.

To make this scale and synergize better, I'd just have it let you make a free bull rush attempt against a target you damage without provoking an AoO or requiring you to move with the target, reducing the extra +BAB bonus to +BAB/2. You'll be less guaranteed to move the opponent 5 feet, but if you build for it you can get a pretty high check.
    I have no objection to making changes, but how exactly is this an improvement? Bullrush is pretty much just a strength check anway; the only difference seems to be that it has a modifier based on size (which I can add to mine, if you think its a good idea).
    The only possible benefit I see is allowing the Imp. Bullrush feat to also add to your check, though with a boost equal to BAB that hardly seems necessary.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2013-02-25 at 02:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!