1. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: An attempt to make casting a bit more interesting! (3.5)

Yeah, it certainly is more of a complex system. My changes to the Wizard were mainly because I never thought Vancian spellcasting made much sense there, considering that they are more academic-types (thus actually having to learn the spell). Why they forget a spell after casting it is beyond me! It should require expertise (thus the checks) and drawbacks for failure (thus the damage for failing a spell by 10 or more).

I changed the Sorcerers the way I did because I thought of them as having their spellcasting innately, so having to channel it by taking damage seemed to make sense to me. I think I'll replace that with the spell level nonlethal damage system that you devised,with your permission, though I don't think that will do much at higher levels (which is why I made the damage the way I did). Additionally, I gave them more access to weapons and higher HP because I figured that they hadn't devoted their lives to study to control their abilities like Wizards have, so they would be more likely to be hands-on warriors a bit more. The multiclass is because it's not an acquired ability, it's an innate talent (though I suppose they could gain it through other means, so I'll take that restriction away).

Yeah, I'm pretty much okay with how psionics works.

For Druids, I felt that they ought to be somewhat competent on their own, but where they shine is in their favored environment, where the power of nature is at their disposal. Thus, Druids are meant to be powerhouses within their own domain. I've always thought that casting was kind of a secondary things for the primarily martial Rangers, and I gave them the (admittedly inadequate) Aspect of Nature to give them an option to supplement their bow or blade wielding should they choose to forgo magic.

I didn't have much of a change to make to Paladins from a versimilitude/having a logical system perspective, which is the primary focus here. Also, I see them (like Rangers) to have their spellcasting as more of a secondary ability anyway.

I thought that it would make sense for even low-level Clerics to be able to request a miracle from their deity if it was for a cause the deity would approve of. Plus, they are now pretty much the only ones (other than paladins) who have to prepare spells ahead of time, since I thought having to get that power transferred from their deity to them ahead of time through prayer made since, realism-wise. They deserve an (extremely limited) bonus, especially one that will let them pray for a miracle at something like the Battle of Helm's Deep, when all it's really going to do is advance the plot w/out any major repercussions.

Additionally, I wasn't necessarily trying to nerf, but rather to make it easier to suspend disbelief. I think that spellcasting should be significantly more powerful than mundane battle, that's why it's magic. However, it should require much more effort and expertise, and substantial drawbacks and limitations as well, which is what I was trying to convey through these rules changes. Thank you for the feedback!
    Last edited by Plato Play-Doh; 2013-01-28 at 03:40 PM.