Quote Originally Posted by Frathe View Post
I think the effects of this ability could be better pinned down mechanically. What happens if you grow an annual plant? Does it die or have children?
Good point. Um...

If the plant has a normal life span less than five years, the plant's children are also affected by this power.

That way you can create a grove of strawberries, but you can't go insane with maple trees.

What qualifies as being "familiar with" an animal?

Could this apply to templated animals (that retain the animal type)?
It's the same language as for druidic wildshape. So, in practice, the bar is very low :-)

What templates leave the creature as an animal?

Would a construct be unnatural? Probably. What about an ooze?
Constructs are nonnatural, but not really unnatural. I probably need to define this better. I'll have to think about it.

A week of forced sleep seems like too high a penalty in game terms, and too much of a disincentive to actually use this ability when the stakes are high. You might consider something more like a once per week limit, and/or have a heavy XP cost, perhaps with the option of asking for your deity's intercession (as in miracle) negating the XP cost.
You may be right. What would be a reasonable xp cost? Miracle is 5000. I'm not sure if you could duplicate this effect with a very powerful miracle. It's certainly a lot less flexible, though.

Usually I've found players very reluctant to sacrifice xp, but it might be the best fitting game mechanic.