View Single Post

Thread: [3.5/E6] Rizban's E6 Compendium

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5/E6] Rizban's E6 Player's Guide

Rizban's E6 Player's Guide

This project is under ongoing development, so check back often for updates and discussions.

Table of Contents

Introduction

I have long enjoyed playing low level D&D and found E6 back when it was first published years ago. For those of you who have never heard of E6, it can be summed up as a gritty, semi-heroic way of playing D&D where characters never progress to a level beyond 6th. More about E6, its rules, and its philosophy can be found here: E6: The Game Inside D&D.

Why this Player's Guide?

First of all, I enjoy creating new material. I've spent the past almost three years running a massive play by post game here on these very forums and have created a massive amount of material for it. Many of you may be aware of Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals or seen the AVB prefix on threads in the play by post forums. That game starts at 6th level, where this project will end, but it is very much rooted in the same philosophy as E6, a harsh, heroic fantasy where the heroes are beyond normal men but are less than demigods.

I decided some time ago that I would enjoy converting that campaign to an E6 format at some point. While perhaps not for this forum, as I'd hate to disrupt an ongoing game, but I would like to run a live version of that game in E6. While E6 is great, D&D was simply not designed with that paradigm in mind. As such, I wanted to create an all new collection of classes and abilities suited to this play style. I began work on it and was making a small amount of progress when a friend of mine introduced me to Gnorman's E6 Compendium. I was hooked. I really enjoyed the way he had setup his classes and liked the way that he implemented archetypes in a manner similar to class kits from older versions of D&D.

I initially began trying to assist with his project but came in at a time that he was planning to do a major overhaul of the project, taking it in a direction that I did not particularly like. While it seems that it will be a great project, it just wasn't the direction that I would want to take things for my purposes, namely bringing E6 to Aldhaven. After putting together a basic premise for where I wanted to take development and providing an example, Gnorman gave me permission to take his project and, from it, develop my own. Thus was born this compendium. I look forward to the comments, criticism, and suggestions that other people offer so that I can make this compendium the best that it can be.

I hope that other players out there find the content here useful and enjoyable. My ultimate goal with this is to create a product that people will use and share with others. If you use this compendium in any way, I'd love to hear from you. If you use it in a play-by-post game, feel free to send me a link, as I'd like to watch to see how things go.

Classes, Archetypes, and Backgrounds

As a design philosophy, characters are defined by three core elements, their class, archetype, and background.

The class will be familiar to anyone who has played D&D. It is the basic chassis for your character, the piece that defines your abilities, skills, and party role. While that continues to be true in this project, players will find that each character class is far more narrowly focused than in standard D&D. The class is the skeleton, the base for a character's abilities. Each class focuses on two very specific game mechanics and a specific party role. Each class develops on that core mechanic, with a few minor supporting abilities, to make a very focused and specific class.

Now, you may be thinking that it's too focused, but I disagree. You see, that's where the archetype comes in. The archetype is the muscle of the skeleton. Each class chooses an archetype, gaining that archetype's abilities at 1st, 3rd, and 6th level. Each archetype is a unique set of powers that broadens what a class can do and allows a single class to have multiple different specialties. It's even possible to have a whole party made up of a single class and each player still have a unique character.

The final part, the background is the skin of the character. It has the least mechanical effect and is largely of a role playing aspect; however, each background adds minor tweaks and abilities to a character. These minor abilities play a critical role in defining just how a character acts by giving the character options that others do not. While most archetypes have some kind of restriction on them as to which classes may select them, all backgrounds are open to all characters.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2014-04-01 at 11:14 PM.