1. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What would you play with all 18s at level 1?

Hm. I would start as a wizard for the simplicity of why my spellbook just sprung out of nowhere for free - gaining a level in wizard at level 2+ without a good amount of downtime makes no sense, or explains where you got the spellbook, the spells, etc, and while its fine with the rules, I don't want to make things weird.

Overall build would aim for Wizard/Fighter/Swiftblade (I think that's the right prestige class? The eldritch knight-ish style one focusing on haste and benefits when hasted like concealment, spell resistance, extra attacks and more attack/ac/reflex/move speed bonuses?) theme with a large two handed weapon, focusing on expeditious retreat (Early game) and jump, then haste at later levels, extended long term spells like bull's strength and cat's grace for long engagements, quickening spells like true strike, true shield, and keeping things like feather fall and nerveskitter handy. Late game spells would also focus on flight, water affinity/breathing, and anything helpful for crafting my own magic weapon.

If the dm does not let you just hold the two-handed weapon in one hand non-combatively to cast a spell with your other hand and thinks your hands are glued to your weapon 24/7, then there is a feat I believe called "Somatic Weapon" that allows you to use the weapons movements for spellcasting when your hands are full.

For other feats, craft wonderous item and craft magic arms and armor are essential, to later make items like gloves of the tactician for the gloves of storing benefit in both hands and the bonus to initiative, goggles of revealing for the true sight benefit against invisible or veiled enemies and traps, and belt of the commander (I think thats the name?) that grants 3 charges each day you can use for a move (1 charge), standard (2 charges), or full action (all 3 charges) during that day extra during one of your turns. Remember, swiftblade prestige class gives even more extra attacks during a full attack when under haste effects! Two full attack actions at level 6+ in the same turn under haste effects with a two handed weapon is devastating even to the toughest bosses. Other then that, stuff like blurring, magebane, and dancing on the weapon, a backup flanking weapon for the 2nd glove of tactician to store for surprises/backup, a cloak of shadows, and a ring of mind shielding would be preferred. Oh, and a twilight mithril chainshirt for protection with no obvious drawback, typically with spell resistance, elemental resistances, confidence (book of erotica fantasy, +2 charisma, adds charisma to will saves, for only a +1 armor enchant), and/or that enchantment from book of exalted deeds to make you immune to death spells/effects.

Considering you get the strength to hit, 1.5 damage with the two hander for damage, dex to reflex saves, initiative, jump, balance for mobility, the constitution for the health and saving throws and the concentration bonus (only useful for casters or diamond mind martial users, I believe), a large intelligence for bonus spells and spell dc's, wisdom for a high will save, and lastly the confidence enchantment on your armor makes your charisma become a bonus to your will save. You use every single stat in this build for a significant edge/protection. Hell, if your feeling spiteful to the dm, swap fighter with paladin and get the cha to all saves and to a smite attempt 1/day with a spellstoring weapon attack! You could even possibly fall to the dark side, exchange all paladin levels and roll with antipaladin just for the free sneak attack. Smite, Sneak, Spell, Charge Attack while hasted and flying and a quicken spell readied a good idea? I think so.

Oh: And for race, obviously a elf, so you can live long enough to reach the 10+ range without having to save the world even once. Edit: Or warforged, and kill chickens for a living for a few thousand years.
    Last edited by Jane_Smith; 2013-03-19 at 04:47 AM.