1. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Gender and Sexuality Representation in OOTS

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Grabbing a corpse that is behind enemy lines and carrying it during months while keeping up a fraction of a rebel alliance and ultimately managing to sneak out of a country conquered by an epic level wizard lych to contact a cleric able to contact the rest of the order seems quite feat-y to me. Sure, it is not the same kind of leadership Roy displays, but then again, Haley is not Roy. Her prime objetive was always trying to keep everyone possible alive, reunite the order and resurrect Roy. Which she did.
    And none of that contributes to making 'lead the Order of the Stick' worth noting, because none of it is leading. Grabbing the corpse and carrying it? Irrelevant to leadership! Sneaking out of the country? Irrelevant to leading the group, because only one person from it is with her! Contacting a cleric to tell the others to 'come here'? The closest thing to leadership, but she wasn't leading anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    You are actively trying to make an enemy of me, are you?

I didn't say that the number of LGBT characters was unrealistically high, I just said that I don't see see number of gay men as being unrealistically low and am more concerned with the overall lack of women.

If you want to call it opression olympics if I object to the fact that women are put into the category "minority" together with LGBT people, and that authors seem to think one token woman and one token gay male are enough so everyone can feel included, I can't do anything about that.
    Number of gay men: one, and a random NPC. Um, that's just a teensy little bit unrealistically low. Because, you know, it implies nonexistence.

And you explicitly said you assume gay men don't feel underrepresented because it's statistically unlikely for a group of six to contain one, and decided that you have more right to object. That is the oppression olympics thing.
    Last edited by Raineh Daze; 2013-04-07 at 07:24 PM.
    Things to avoid:

"Let us tell the story of a certain man. The tale of a man who, more than anyone else, believed in his ideals, and by them was driven into despair."