Hey folks, my party just agreed to try the FATE core system. They asked me to run an introductory game (Similar to what you make in cons, with premade characters and such). for them to try the new concept and rules of Fate, and decide whether they like it or not.

I may have some time to prepare this, as I need to familiarize myself with the rules (I have very very little experience with Fate) so I thought to use this thread to get advice on such matters.

What I'm looking for:
- Any general advice for an introductory game.
- Any general advice for a FATE game.
- Once we decide on a genre/ style of game, specific advice and ideas for that.

A few things about us:
- The session is supposed to last about 6-7 hours.
- Non of us have any experience in the Fate system, we come from D&D 3.5 and shadowrun background.
- We're in our 30-40, so darker/ more serious stuff is ok, but we like goofing off and humor too.
- We're not used to the level of player involvement in the game that Fate encourages (I assume) so this may take getting used to.
- We're not used to failures/ complication being parts of the story instigated by the players (compels) so this may take getting used to as well.

My current general ideas:
- The characters are a part of a small- mid sized community that gets attacked by... something (Seven Samurai scenerio, zombie apocalypse, bandits, "Return the slab" chapter from Courage the cowardly dog show)- Basically they have to fend off periodical attacks, and try to find a more encompassing solution in the meant time (kill of the leades of the opposition, find out why they are attacking, evacuate everyone, find a cure to the zombie plauge and so on)

- A race! the party are part of some crew (space ship/ air ship) who tries to win some sort of race against opposing forces (current though is in Eberron a race around the Mournland). Sort of like the Amazing Race, only potentially lethal.

- The contained world: during a festival/ convention/ somethign else some supernatural phenomena happens, trapping the characters in some alternate world/ demi planes where some rules are different. they need to find out why this happened, and how to get out.

I think all 3 could work for a 6-7 hours session. I intend to do a short start, quick turn to the action, in about mid session one small reveal and twist, and at the end at a final confrontation another reveal and small twist. What do you think?

Please help making this a successful intro session!