1. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XVIII: "Fortune favours the careless!"

So, after about half an hour trying to get my head around just how many variants there, then scouring my books to find them, I've come to the following conclusions. Anyone who knows that they're talking about, feel free to step in.

All of them have Lascannon, and Heavy Bolter or Heavy Flamer sponsons.

Baneblade: Going from the original Apocalypse book, it's probably been updated at least twice. But I don't imagine the weapon loadouts have changed any. Comes with a Baneblade Cannon, and a Demolisher Cannon. The all-rounder, I guess. In any updated version, do they have a reduced points cost, or are they allowed to swap their Heavy Bolters for Flamers?

Hellhammer: The Hellhammer has a shorter range, smaller Marker, but could be argued that it's better because it Ignores Cover. But, instead of the Heavy Bolters, it's got Heavy Flamers. It's very similar to the Baneblade, but it's used for laughing at entrenched models. Aegis Line? What Aegis Line? But, due to it's shorter range, I imagine that it gets in range of Melta weapons quite easily which isn't fun for a Super-Heavy.

Shadowsword: The main 'other variant' Super-Heavy. Starts with the Volcano Cannon, which has massive range, Str-D and amazingness. Then it has two Lascannons and a choice between Heavy Flamers or Bolters. Due to a misunderstanding of how Primary Weapons work, I was very wary of this one only having one gun (where the Baneblades get a Demolisher Cannon as well). However, Primary Weapons are hard to get rid of, and, even then, I'm fairly certain you can use a Tech-Priest or Techmarine to fix it? No? Once I figured out the actual rules for Primary Weapon, I'm tempted to pick this up.

Stormlord: I suppose the main thing to say about it is it's Vulcan Mega-Bolter, which is S6, AP3, Heavy 15. In regular 40K, that'd be the bomb. Unfortunately, this is Apocalypse and S6 is kind of crap. Compared to the three above with dual S9/10 Large Blast weapons or the Str-D 120" weapon. And we're not even nearly finished with the list...

Doomhammer: It's Magma Cannon is pretty brutal. But, again, in comparison to the Baneblade...Why?

Banesword: The Banesword Quake Cannon trades AP2 for AP3...But Barrage. I imagine that a Super-Heavy that doesn't even need LoS is fairly game-breaking. But, in a meta-game where 20+ Terminators or Sanguinary Guard is the norm, I'm unsure.

Banehammer: Tremor Cannon...Like a Thunderfire, but S8, AP3. Even with 60" range. Disrupts Infantry formations, and I imagine that Difficult/Dangerous Terrain is a nightmare for Titans.

Stormsword: Basically has the exact same Primary Weapon as the Hellhammer. Same range, strength and AP. But with the 10" marker instead of 7". The difference is that the Hellhammer comes with a secondary Demolisher Cannon.

I honestly don't know what to pick. I'm thinking of either the Shadow- or Stormsword, since now I understand what Primary Weapon means. But if anyone with proper Apocalypse can tell me the effectiveness of the Banehammer Earthshock nonsense or how good is Banesword that doesn't need LoS?
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-05-11 at 02:49 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome