1. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] The Kreen of the Desert (races, classes, feats, and more)

Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    Background: I have only ever once played 3.5, and that was back in middle school. I've played Pathfinder exclusively, so I'm not familiar with much 3.5. And so begins the nitpicking!

This shows that they're setting-specific; I was confused by this for a while before I figured their setting was just common knowledge among 3.5 players. Still, you might want to include a little background.
    Actually, it is setting specific in that this is pulled out of a particular setting and redone slightly for general consumption. Putting names to things doesn't restrict the setting so much as provide stubs from which a DM can create things. Naming a river and saying they have an empire along that river doesn't restrict them to a setting but still gives a small amount of background to give DMs an idea on how to incorporate them into a game if he so chooses.

This whole section seems very strict. "All Kreen act this way, have these beliefs, and follow this code". I personally feel like that doesn't leave a lot of room for character creation.
    It's not any more "strict" than any racial personality description. It is, perhaps, a little more detailed based on the concept of having a racial memory that guides them, making them more similar to one another, but it is fluff that can be ignored at will of so desired.

Grammar nitpicks:
    Spoiler
    Show

This should probably begin with "A Kreen tends to" to match the rest of the paragraph, or change to "outside of their immediate clutches" which, while awkward, matches the couple sentences following.

I think this should read "a praying mantis OF human size".
    I'll fix those.

After reading this, I thought "Do they get multiattack? No, they end in claws. They must not be able to use them for hands. I wonder if those claws are natural attacks?", and then I had to look down into the statblock, which is big, and search for the natural attacks. What I'm saying is, I think it would just be convenient if you included a mention of the natural attacks here.
    That's fluff text... You typically don't include rules in the fluff, because it can get messy trying decipher rules from the fluff. Yes, they have four arms with claws, but the rules for them is in the rules section. It would be silly not to mention that in the fluff for their physical description though, as that's a pretty major part of their physiology.

What purpose does this serve? It means a Kreen can't work with an elf in the party and, while it does give some racial character, it seems very restrictive. It reminds me of the paladin's code in that it deals with absolutes.
    It's fluff. Ignore it if you want. There's no rule that enforces this. That said, this was part of their original fluff from second edition, and it was something unique and different that I wanted to retain here. That doesn't mean that you're required to use it. It can, however, make for very interesting interactions if your group chooses to use that fluff.

What does this mean? How is it unlocked? If it's mentioned below, you should summarize or say "see below for details", but as is it's just confusing.
    It specifically says "only be realized through certain feats or class features". I'm not sure how that is unclear. I would assume that reading that means that you flip over to the feats/classes areas to see, as that's clearly indicating that the rules will be in those areas.

Yes.
    What's wrong with that? I thought it humorous.

The table above this for the racial class advances BAB and the Will save, despite this saying otherwise.
    No... Pretty sure it doesn't. Third level is the level adjustment. BAB and saves and HD are unchanged at that level.

There don't actually seem to be any ancestral memories?
    Just double checked, and they are, in fact, there. I posted them a couple days before you made your reply here...

Overall, this is really polished. I had to resort to nitpicking grammar to find things to comment on! The racial abilities are consistent with the fluff, which is supported by the racial class and prestige classes. Maybe to emphasize the difference between the Thri and the Tohr, you could introduce different favored class bonuses, in the style of pathfinder?
    I don't play pathfinder and have no particular interest in learning all the new rules just for converting this project over to it...
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-26 at 12:30 AM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.