1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Changes to Summoning & Controlling Creatures

This is a few changes and some clarification for summoning and controlling magical creatures. Its a few minor things that I've sort-of lumped together, partially aimed at balance issues, partially just for feedback. Feel free to PEACH any or all of it.
    My ideal balance point for homebrew is tier 3. Obviously I can't alter entire classes with changes to just a few spells, but that's what I've got on the brain when I work on stuff like this.

Summoning Spells
    This includes spells like Summon Monster, Summon Nature's Ally, Summon Swarm, but not spells like Gate (which is in the Calling subschool).

When learning this spells, rather than ganing access to the entire list of creatures named in the SRD, you select one creature which you have learned to summon. In essence, Summon Monster I becomes Summon Monster I- Celestial Owl version. You can learn the spell more than once, but each version must be prepared seperately, or counts as a different spell known for spontaneous casters. Summoning spells cannot be used to summon an increased number of creatures from a lower-level summoning spell.
    The the duration of these spells is increased to 1 minute/level.

Controlling Creatures
    Creatures created in this manner are essentially mindless quasi-magical constructs, which are physically indentical to whatever creature they mimic, except that they have no desires, motivations, or even instincts of their own. They are simply puppets under control of the summoner, and in combat, these creatures act on your turn, and only as you direct them. They must be directed to attack or move each turn; they will not even defend themselves without a direct command.

You may give one creature basic combat orders as a Move-equivalent action, 2 creatures as a Standard action, and 3 creatures as a Full-round action.
    Out of combat, you may command a summoned creature to perform any action you direct that it is capable of, though this requires your full concentration. You also cannot give orders to creatures outside of the original spell's range.

Crafted creatures such as golems, or mind-controlled creatures such as those under the effect of a Dominate Monster spell may be ordered to carry out one action until they are directed to stop, and they will defend themselves as normal if attacked. Changing orders or giving new ones, however, falls under the same rules as above.

Feats

Augment Summoning [Metamagic]
    Benefit
    Each creature you conjure with any summon spell gains a boost to it's HD, Strength & Dexterity Scores, and the save DCs for any Extraordinary, Spell-like or Supernatural abilities for the duration of the spell that summoned it. In addition, you may direct augmented creatures with a swift action, and the range for giving orders is increased to Long.
    An augmented spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

Caster-Level HD, Ability, & DC Increase
    1-4
    +1
    5-8
    +2
    9-12
    +3
    13-16
    +4
    17-20
    +5
    21+
    +6

Proliferate Summoning [Metamagic]
    Benefit
    Whenever you conjure any creature with a summon spell, you instead summon 1d3+1 of that creature instead.
    A proliferated spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell’s actual level.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2015-10-15 at 10:09 PM. Reason: tweaking feats
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!