Big Bad Creature
In the deepest depths of the Black Forest, disease and foul magic penetrate the air. Food and game are scarce and easily frightened, and only the strongest or most cunning predators survive. A big bad creature evolves when a carnivore is driven to death by starvation, the last growls of his stomach haunting the forest and pulling dark magic in to fill the void. Hexes, enchantments, and curses of all kinds come together to give the starving creature a second chance, and they grant him an unnatural edge over any prey.
Creating a Big Bad Creature
"Big Bad" is an acquired template that can be added to any predator (animal or magical beast) that would die of starvation within an area of corrupt magic (traditionally the Black Forest). A big bad Creature uses the base creature's stats and abilities except as noted here.
CR: +2, or +4 if the creature has 10 or more hit dice.
AL: Always Evil. The creature retains any lawful/chaotic alignment it possesses.
Size and Type: The creature's type changes to Magical Beast; recalculate hit points and BAB as needed. If the creature has 10 or more hit dice, it increases in size by 1 category if it is naturally medium or smaller.
Senses: A big bad creature gains scent and darkvision 60 feet. If the base creature already had darkvision, the range increases by 30 feet.
Armor Class: A big bad creature gains a +2 bonus to natural armor.
Hit Dice: Change any racial hit dice lower than a d10 to a d10, recalculate health as needed. The creature's BAB is recalculated as a magical beast, if it was not before.
Defensive Abilities: A big bad creature gains DR 5/slashing, and has fast healing 2/fire while it is swallowing any creature. If the big bad creature has 10 or more hit dice, these values double to DR 10 and fast healing 4.
Attacks: If the creature has 10 or more hit dice and increases in size, it's natural attacks deal damage fitting for the new size. The creature gains a bite attack if it did not already have one.
Special Attacks: A big bad creature gains the following special attacks:
- Consume (Su): This ability functions as a modified version of swallow whole. The big bad creature may use this ability against any creature of its size or smaller which it is grappling at the start of its turn (as though attempting to pin the victim). Creatures swallowed in this way take bite damage each round in which they remain inside the big bad creature.
If the base creature already has the swallow whole ability, then it does not gain consume, but may choose to treat swallow whole as a supernatural ability (Su) instead of an extraordinary (Ex) one.
- Huff 'n Puff (Su): The big bad creature can create powerful winds as a breath attack in a 30 foot cone. The base wind strength (as found here) is "severe winds" for a standard action, or "windstorm" for a full-round action. Increase the strength of the winds by one step if the big bad creature is large size or larger. The effects of this wind last until the beginning of the big bad creature's next turn. The creature may use this ability once every 2d4 rounds, though he may spend a separate full round action to make this ability immediately available again. These winds deal damage to structures made of wood or weaker materials as follows: 4d6 for severe winds, 8d6 for a windstorm, and 12d6 for a hurricane force breath.
Special Qualities: A big bad creature gains the following special qualities:
- Fear aura (Su): Any creatures within 20 feet of a big bad creature when it activates this ability must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 hit dice + strength) or become shaken for 1d4 rounds. This aura cannot cause a more severe fear effect, though failing a save against it increases the duration of all current fear effects by 1 round.
- Cunning Hunter (Ex): A big bad creature treats all humanoids as a favored enemy, giving him a bonus on attack and damage rolls, as well as bluff, knowledge,perception, sense motive, and survival checks against them equal to 1/2 his hit dice. This bonus does not stack with a ranger's favored enemy.
- Disguise Self (Sp): A big bad creature gains disguise self as a spell-like ability usable once per day as though it were a humanoid of its size. This effect has a duration of concentration, rather than the listed duration. The big bad creature uses its intelligence or charisma to determine the spell's DC, whichever is greater.
Ability Scores: A big bad creature gains +2 Str, +2 Con, and +4 Int. These adjustments do not include the adjustments for large size.
Skills: A big bad creature gains a +5 bonus to stealth and intimidate. A big bad creature also gains the ability to speak languages, and knows one language per point of intelligence, in addition to any languages it already possessed.
Feats: A big bad creature gains intimidating prowess as a bonus feat.
SpoilerSample Creature: Big Bad Wolf
Base creature: Wolf
Big Bad Wolf
CR 3, XP 800
NE Medium magical beast
Init +2; Senses low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft., scent; Perception +8; Aura fear 20', DC 13
AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+2 Dex, +4 natural)
hp 17 (2d10+6)
DR 5/slashing; Fast healing 2/fire
Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +1
Speed 50 ft.
Melee bite +4 (1d6+3 plus trip) (+1 attack and damage vs humanoids)
Space 5ft., Reach 5ft.
Special Attacks: consume (1d6+3 damage, AC 12, 2 hp); breath weapon (4d6 or 8d6 to weak structures, severe or windstorm strength winds, 30' cone, usable every 2d4 rounds)
Str 15, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 6
Base Atk +2; CMB +4; CMD 16 (20 vs. trip)
Feats Skill Focus (Perception), Intimidating Prowess
Skills Intimidate +5, Perception +8 (+9 humanoids), Stealth +11, Survival +1 (+5 scent tracking, +2 or +6 humanoids); Racial Modifiers +4 Survival when tracking by scent
Languages Common, Elven, Sylvan, Draconic, Infernal, Halfling
Fear Aura (20 ft., DC 13, victims are shaken for 1d4 rounds.)
Cunning Hunter: +1 favored enemy bonus against humanoids (bonus applies to attack and damage, as well as bluff, knowledge, perception, sense motive, and survival checks)
Huff 'n Puff: 30' cone of severe winds (or windstorm strength if using a full-round action). Usable every 2d4 rounds, or after spending a full-round action to gather breath.
1/day - Disguise Self (any medium humanoid, concentration, DC 9)
SpoilerSample Creature: Big Bad Tyrannosaurus
Base Creature: Tyrannosaurus
CR 13, XP 25,600
Ne Gargantuan magical beast
Init +5; Senses low-light vision, scent, darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +37; Aura fear 20', DC 21
AC 23, touch 7, flat-footed 22 (+1 Dex, +16 natural, –4 size)
hp 190 (18d10+90)
DR 10/slashing; Fast healing 4/fire
Fort +15, Ref +12, Will +10
Speed 40 ft.
Melee bite +26 (4d6+24 /19–20 plus grab) (vs humanoids: bite +35 (4d6+33))
Space 20 ft.; Reach 20 ft.
Special Attacks swallow whole (Ex or Su) (2d8+12, AC 18, hp 19); breath weapon (8d6 or 12d6 damage to weak structures, 30' cone, windstorm or hurricane strength, usable every 2d4 rounds)
Str 34, Dex 13, Con 21, Int 6, Wis 15, Cha 10
Base Atk +18; CMB +34 (+38 grapple); CMD 45
Feats Bleeding Critical, Critical Focus, Diehard, Endurance, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Run, Skill Focus (Perception), Intimidating Prowess
Skills Intimidate +17, Perception +37, Stealth -10; Racial Modifiers +8 Perception, +5 Stealth, +5 Intimidate
Languages Necril, Common, Gnoll, Draconic, Terran, Sylvan
SQ powerful bite
Powerful Bite (Ex)
A tyrannosaurus applies twice its Strength modifier to bite damage.
Fear Aura (20 ft., DC 21, victims are shaken for 1d4 rounds.)
Cunning Hunter: +9 favored enemy bonus against humanoids (bonus applies to attack and damage, as well as bluff, knowledge, perception, sense motive, and survival checks)
Huff 'n Puff: 30' cone of wind, windstorm strength (or hurricane force if using a full-round action). Usable every 2d4 rounds, or after spending a full-round action to gather breath.
1/day - Disguise Self (any huge or gargantuan humanoid, concentration, DC 10)