1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default FATE core: How to create more interesting battles and the use of situational aspects.

Hi there! I'm New to FATE core, running a post apocalyptic game. My group has run two scenarios, but I feel like the battles are not interesting enough, not "supplying the goods" as it were. I wish to learn to make battles more interesting. I feel that in D&D I've mastered this to a good degree, but I wish to learn to do so in FATE. Here are some of my dilemmas and questions:

1) Situation aspects: First of all I'd love a clarification- suppose there are situation aspects quite visible and accessible, is using them for the first time free? (As I've seen on a pbp I play in) or do they cost FATE points as usual?

Also, I have a hard time getting my players using them. Usually at the beginning of battle I list a few situational aspects, but the players much more prefer using their own aspects. I think this is due to mostly forgettign the aspects are there! One player writes the aspects and writes down any advantages people create, and attaches them on the battle map, but few players remember using them, unless he reminds them or they are in BIG trouble.

2) Battle maps: I know the FATE book suggest using simple battle maps you can write on a table napkin, and while this works this also feels a bit... bland. I wish to have more engaging terrain, obstacles, influences on the battlefield other than just "+2 to a roll" aspect, or "roll athletics to get over this" blocks. Any ideas?

3) Is there anywhere a good list of stunts (Battle or otherwise) that I can get inspiration from? I feel those I come up with are sort of... meh.

4) Boss Fights/ going nova: I only had one major Boss fight yet, but mostly it ended up being a slug fest, with each side just piling up as many fate points and aspects it could get. Felt a bit bland. I'd like to make it more engaging, more cinematic. I'm just not sure how to do so in FATE.

Any ideas or examples from other games would greatly contribute. Yes, I know FATE is not a fight centered game, and neither is my group, but when a fight comes, we want it to be a good one!

Thanks in advance,
    Kol.
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2013-09-03 at 09:32 AM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!