Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
In the actual canyon, Vaarsuvius and Blackwing were unable to fly very high before crashing down.

Later, we see that the Linear Guild was able to fly due to Malack's scroll of Control Winds.

Several minutes(?) later, Zz'dtri and Tarquin's mount were shown flying just fine.Control Winds would still be up, I think.

A few hours later, Z and Qarr were flying somewhat high just fine. Shortly after Malack's destruction, we see a bunch of pterosaurs flying high, and now we see V and Blackwing flying rather high (though I suppose it just seems high due to the crater, and s/he's not actually that far above ground level).

EDIT: Control Winds has a longer duration than I recalled. And I thought its duration was based on concentration, but it's not, so it should last even after Malack's death, no?
I'd assumed that the pyramid was outside of the geologic formation the canyon was a part of. Possibly, in a very large crater or graben surrounded by horsts at a long distance. They had to go though the canyon because only that had warn away to something a person could use.

And magic, I suppose.