View Single Post

Thread: Revitalized Soulknife

1. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Revitalized Soulknife

You've got it up and running. Cool! I can't say that I care too much for the switch from Intelligence to Wisdom, but I'm willing to admit a large personal bias for Int, so you may take that with as many grains of salt as you wish.

You've already got my thoughts on the Soulknife so, on to the Soulward!

Entry requirements look good, as do the saves and BAB of the class. About the only trouble with the table is that you've labelled it "The Swashbuckler."

Judging appropriate hit die isn't really my strong suit but the boost makes sense to me, as it seems that a Soulward is meant to be more of a defender than the Soulknife.

I don't have much for comment on class skills. The addition of Heal and Survival, along with the loss of Tumble, has interesting thematic implications.

Summon Mindshield
    Cool. (By the by, the first instance of the word "summon" in this class feature's description appears to have lost an m.)

Expanded Power List
    The Soulward adds the following Powers to the list of powers he may choose from upon leveling up:
    1st-Thicken Skin
    2nd-Empathic Transfer
    3rd-Empathic Feedback
    4th-Tower of Iron Will
    I'm beginning to get a more comprehensive idea of the theme here, and I like where it's going.

Psionic Ward(Su)
    Forcefields. Gotta love 'em.

Psychic Subversion(Su)
    I really like this. It's an excellent way to pull attention away from any of your more fragile team members. Or, at the very least, it makes it harder for someone to land a hit if they're bound and determined to focus on someone other than you.

Ward Ally(Su)
    I like this direction for the advancement of Psionic Ward. It makes sense and can help a party shore up any deficiencies they might have in their defenses overall. Or, if defenses are acceptable all around, it lets you improve on them. This would be really cool to see in play (And to play). One question though. Is this intended to function at infinite range? As written, there's no limit to how far away a warded ally can be.

Crystal Mind(Su)
    The Soulward at 6th level gains Spell Resistance equal to 12+his manifester level any time he is psionically focused.
    Crystal Mind strikes me as a little odd, as I'd expect a psionic class to grant Power Resistance instead of Spell Resistance. Any particular reason for prioritizing defense from spells, over powers?

Psychic Backlash(Su)
    A 7th level Soulward who is currently using the Psychic Subversion ability can react to an enemy attacking any target other than himself, causing 1d8 psychic damage per Soulward level to that enemy. If the Soulward expends his psionic focus at the same time, this damage is doubled.
    What type of action is taken to cause the damage, or is it that an attacker takes damage any time they attack someone that you've warded?

You might want to specify an upper range for this ability. Psychic Subversion only applies penalties to those within 50ft., but with Psychic Backlash, I could deal at least 7d8 points of damage to someone on the opposite side of the planet, so long as they were attacking someone other than myself. (Perfect crime, here I come.)

Also, is this ability intended to affect non-living and/or mindless creatures? How about creatures immune to mind-affecting effects? I ask because psychic damage is typically invalidated by such conditions.

Mind Over Matter(Su)
    I'm not sure what to say here, other than that I find this feature to be a nice addition to the class. By this point, you've got a refreshing pool of 24 temporary hit points, which you're also providing to one other person, and you can zap people attacking your warded ally. In addition, you're boasting SR of 24, can debuff a significant number of enemies and manifest powers, have pretty good sword-and-board capabilities, and you can now tack on a minute's worth of decent fast healing. This, is fun.

Ward Mastery(Su)
    I enjoy the note that this feature allows the class to leave on. You're warding two others. They, and yourself, can breathe a bit more easily knowing that things like Feeblemind, Dominate Person, and Finger of Death are no longer issues (Though I do have to ask if someone who's been warded can voluntarily give up this immunity. Immunity to mind-affecting blocks some beneficial things, such as the Good Hope spell.). The effect wrought by expending your psionic focus is also a nice touch. Protect your ally, deal 20d8 damage to the attacker, and, assuming they aren't dead, they now get to save or find the next 1d4+1 rounds to be quite problematic. The amount of damage you can do with it is kind of frightening (That, or I haven't played enough level 15 characters), but it's kept somewhat in check by the fact that you'd be revoking your protection from your allies for a time, and things could go poorly before you manage to set the wards back up. All in all, not too shabby for something you can snag at level 15. Nice work.

Here's a question for you. What happens when you get a couple of these fellows together and they decide to mutually ward each other? Let's say we have three PCs, all with a build of Soulknife 5/Soulward 10. If each person wards the other two, how do the wards interact? Do they stack? If they do, we're looking at each person gaining a pool of 84 temporary hit points (Manifester level of 14, and three wards so, 14 * 2 * 3. A total of 84.), refreshed every round.

Heh, if it stacks, you could just keep hiring them until you have an arbitrarily large pool of temporary hit points. Yeah... that could be bad. Maybe have it operate on diminishing returns. The first ward provides a full pool, the second provides half, the third provides a third, etc. If that were the case, the aforementioned, hypothetical trio would each have a pool of:

14 * 2 = 28
    (14 * 2) / 2 = 14
    (14 * 2) / 3 = 9.333 (Round down to 9)

28 + 14 + 9 = 51

51 temporary hit points. Unfortunately, you can still get arbitrarily large numbers by boosting manifester level and/or getting more people to ward you. It would probably be best to just not have wards stack or have only a few stack before it caps out. I suggest three at the most, and two at the least. Three because I'd love to see the trio I thought up in play, and two, because it would make for an interesting cultural dynamic, with high-value persons hiring level 10 Soulwards in pairs.

A couple posts will be reserved following this one for prestige classes/feats.
    Hm. How's this?

--------------------------------
    Sentinel Soul [Psionic]
    Prerequisites: Psionic Ward class feature, Ward Ally class feature
    Your determination to protect the well-being of your allies culminates in your ability to see a greater number of them through danger.

Benefit: You gain the ability to ward an additional ally.
    --------------------------------
    (Note: Should you implement a maximum effective range for Ward Ally, you might have this feat also increase that number.

Well, this was fun. I'm looking forward to what you'll be putting in those reserved posts.

Cheers
    ~Tetrys
    Last edited by Tetrys; 2013-09-21 at 07:14 AM.