1. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Experiences in a post apocalyptic FATE core campaign- A GM's log

Session 6- part 1: Last dealings before leaving

Hey there folks! So we had our meeting two days ago. It was a long meeting (9 hours) so I may divide this to 3 parts as well, mostly depending on how tired I get between parts. Ruphalo's player was not present. Let's start, shall we?

A few matters of the last minute
    As usual, despite emails to give me relevant info enough time before the meeting, my players awoke to the game just a day before the session. A few changes and plans:
    • Jenny changed her "dodging the reaper" aspect to "Got a lot to make up for", showing her growing conciounce and morality.
    • D*ck changed "Wanna bet" (His trouble, which was nearly never used) to "my old friend Murphy", and "few friends, many enemies" to "It's all about appearances".
    • D*ck's player said he had quite a few plans in store, but wished to lay them down in the meeting, to get an agreement for them.
    • Jenny's player informed me she plans to explore the "X"s on Dr. Marlo's map when they get back, maybe find out more about the Vampyrs and their menace.

At the start of the sessions itself we decided that most vehicles are crappy vehicles, and can sustain a 1 and a 2 stress boxes, and suffer a mild consequence at most. They have an armor of 2. Better vehicles (Like D*ck's hammer and Jenny's Harley are better). We discussed some other concept and rules issues, but I'll detail these after the session.

Oh, we have a new picture for Madam Cynthia!
    Spoiler
    Show

Still at the Sunny Acres
    The party was REAL worried about Jenny spilling her beans, and decided to investigate. The madam and Walter were on the job, While D*ck and Jenny decided to try and lower the flames and appease Mr. Silvertone somehow. We dealt with Sunny Acres first.

The madam began... socializing. We treated this as a Challenge: composed of contacts, rapport and deceive skills. She did almost failed once, but "expecting the worst" she knew how to manipulate people, finally succeeding. , and we played it that she met an old contact- Tommy Jenkins! Tommy was a bit of a black sheep of the Jenkins family, and was an outside trader for the family. The madam scolded him for not using the services of the Merilyn ,as he apologized, anxiety on his face. "I'm just... here to talk with the girls!" ("That's not what you said last night!") The madam continued to talk with him, with us playing the awkward brothel meeting. ("Just don't tell the wife!") and so on. She got him talking enough to learn the courtesan who milked Jenny for information is called Cherry, and that all the girls are greatly loyal to Miss Diamond and her seconds- Ruby, Jade, Sapphire and Onyx. "Really madam, I'm just passing through, barely seen this place" ("That's not what you said last month!") the meeting was mostly humorous, and quite fun. She managed to succeed in style on one of the checks, and so she learned Cherry was using the drug "Red Haze", which they hoped to use.

Walter caught Cherry just as eh left the meeting earlier, and she promised she would be with him later. The madam managed to tell him the info, before he met with Cherry, about 1-2 hours later. She took him to a private room, where she tried promoting her... wares, but the preacher, being a preacher, moved to stop her and to "Just talk". He tried to be nonthreatening, but when that didn't work did try his best to look serious and "all business", He succeeded nicely, so she blurted out that Miss Diamond sent her, and that she told her everything. Walter tried to gauge if Miss Diamond was interested in anything specific, but that Cherry couldn't tell.

So now they knew Miss Diamond surely knows more than they want. But to what end?

Meanwhile, at the Silvertones
    They were out to set an idea D*ck thought of. They wished to buy time, perhaps diffuse the tension. However, the place was bustling, even this late at night, and two armed guards plus two brown coats stopped them at the gate. "No one comes in, especially not YOU Mr. Mighty, Mr. SIlvertone gave specific orders!" Thinking quickly on his feet, Mr. Mighty approached the speaker. "You're doing a fine job at the charade, Mr. Silvertone said you will. Any onlookers will be well deceived. Do continue! I'm sure Mr. Silvertone will thank you for playing up our play." HE then contunued to act as offended dramatically. The guard, confused, decided to play. "Oh yes! In fact he is so angry he'll want to tell you himself!" and led them in.

Needless to say, Silvertone was furious at the guard, and sent him quickly out. He was ready to have Jenny and D8ck expelled, but Jenny "Cut to the chase" and started laying her plan. "You want to learn about the trouble of the north? Very well, we have fought the Vampyrs, we have saved Little town. You give us some slack, and we investigate these troubles for you." D*ck's plan was to have them work for Silvertone on something they already wanted to do, and so kill two birds with one stone. But Mr. Silvertone was not easily appeased. "You wish to deal with me? YOU?! Your group, including your friend here have offended me twice already (aspect), and have proven you have NO honor (Another aspect), you specifically have shown poor restraint in the meeting, you got a contract on your head, The madam insults people, your brother Walter is too stiff and stuck in his opinions, and you call yourself professionals?"

Jenny tried to add. "You know things, you have your contacts. I bet you know about what we do more than anyone in the city. We managed to succeed in most things we've done, amongst them holding of the horde and killing their champions, quite a few of them. We are the best for this."

It didn't seem to yet convince Mr. Silvertone, who was allready waving his hand away, when D*ck intervened. "You fear the trouble from the north, and I know you lack the means to deal with it. We are those means, those assets, disposable assets. (Aspect), You worry about the microfusion, but you know just as me that those wee the words people needed to hear, and now that it's doen, things can progress in closed doors, in hushed words. (Appearances are everything)." He was still not convinced, when both negotiators came up with the right idea. "Look, you want to know, right? We'll be your ears, your eyes, we'll learn and bring back the information to you, as part of your team." (Knowledge is power, Or power).

That was enough to change his mind. A tough negotiation, but a successful one. Mr. Silvertone thought and replied. "very well, A test then. You'll report to me in 30 days, with information you've found. In fact, Mr. Rhodes here" he motioned to a stiff "English butler/ lawyer" guy at the corner. "Will accompany you to Little town, along with the... rest." They both perked up to this "Rest?" Silvertone looked bored. "Due to Brother Walter's speech, some have decided to send their people to speak with the Jenkins themselves.

Jenny and D*ck accepted, and quickly left, before he'll change his mind. They all made it to King Harry's palace, made a small conversation with him about the days in the bad lands, and went to sleep. Ruphalo informed the party he intends to stay with King Harry for the meantime. That was our excuse for him not participating in the session.

GMing notes
    Spoiler
    Show
    I totally winged this session with Silvertone, and was surpised at their success. This... really changes plans. I had quite a few plots for him and his people. Oh well, not the first time this happens. Bummed me a bit though. But I was happy to see the players feeling like they've just taken a big load of their backs.

Checking out?
    Next day they drove to the towns gates to meet with Mr. Rhodes. They met the rest of the delegation there as well:
    • 2 trucks of the brown coats, each with a driver and 5 browncoats, led by none otherthan... Deputy Kell!
    • Mr. Rhodes, with his little black notebook and severe face.
    • A beautiful young looking woman, who turnedoutto be Sapphire, one of Miss Diamond assistants, only much more alluring. The party nicknamed her "the stewerdess".
    • Barry Hudson- a large loud and cheerful man, along with the three nondescript Bones Brothers.
    • William Stilt and Peter! Jenny was quite surprised to see them, and they were surprised as well. They were unsure why they were here, except as to assess the microfusion plant in Littletown, for potential improvements.
    • About 8-10 merceneries as extra guns.

This was a big delegation, and the party groaned a bit, But were mostly amused. They had other troubles though, as Captain O'Riley came towards them. He called D*ck and Jenny over. "Well, apparently last night Malcolm Danes tripped... into a bullet... in his bed. Now Mr. Mighty, some people said you came to the Hudson's place a few days ago and threatened him? I heard you do the same with my own ears last night." ("Deadman walking" aspect)

"And you Miss Wilson. My resources tell me you're quite the mercenary, good at getting people killed, and with some... involvement with Mr. Mighty here, am I right?" Jenny didn't know quite how to take it, and just exclaimed at how preposterous it all was. D*ck managed to lie his way through this well enough, which also cut the link to Jenny, so they got away with this as well.

Before they left the party suddenly joked about checking the hammer for bombs. And... they rolled well, with the stelath for the bomb at -4 (!!) so they... found it! They found the bomb that was supposed to complicate things much more later. They joked about who was to diffuse it, when D*ck just found a new car (only crumpier, like a normal car) and left this one for Ruphalo to disarm. Sapphire, whom D*ck invited to the hammer before was quite mortified, deciding to travel with the brown coats.

another complication undone.

Finally, they left Rivertown, on their way to Littletown!

GMing notes
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) The delegation: The idea was to bring politics in a more minute form with them, in case this interests them enough, with a slight change of persona.

2) Captain O'Riley's accusations: This was mostly to show that D*ck's contract worked, and give satisfaction to the player, as well as "getting away with it". It could have gone more complicated, but it went quite well... Sigh, this went a LOT in this meeting.

3)The Bomb: I was hoping it will complicate future encounters more, by adding an explosion to the scene. Yes, the assassin was with them, well under disguise...

-----------------------------------------
    Ok, growing tired, I'll try and catch up in the next few days. Next time, a BIG fight!
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2013-09-22 at 02:47 PM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!