View Single Post

Thread: Hexblade Revitalized

1. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hexblade Revitalized

Legendxp, you caught me right in the middle of updating it. So some of the things you quoted already changed lol.

Love this ability, really neat function. Although, I'd be wary about including a familiar in a fight. Does this ability prevent your familiar from being seen?
    This feature was actually an ACF in PHB2, except it replaced the Familiar rather than augmenting it, and is just an illusory effect rather than something targetable. Personally I felt integrating with the familiar was for the better.

The ability doesn't prevent the familiar from being seen, however it gives them concealment, so they could use that concealment to hide if I'm remembering the hide rules correctly.

Either way, your familiar should be pretty durable. It gained 50% miss chance, and it has at minimum half your HP (and you have a D10 with every reason to have Cha/Con as your primaries). Most have pretty decent AC at low level, and you can get them more AC if you want. There's also the Improved Familiar feat (Complete Arcane) if desired, which gets you away from things like little house cats, and gets you into the realm of large sized winter wolves as your familiar, which are awesome on their own.

You'll also note I didn't include the normal line about losing exp when you lose your familiar. So getting a new familiar is as cheap as 100g and 24 hours if yours dies. Not too bad of a deal.

You should quote the sources from which these feats come from. Also, what is a reserve feat? I've never heard of it before.
    I'll get on that. The majority of them came straight off the CW Hexblade's list. I think the only ones I added were Improved Familiar (CW), Battle Caster (Complete Arcane I think?), and the Reserve feats (which show up in Complete Mage and Complete Champion. They basically give you access to minor at will abilities as long as you have a spell of the associated type available to cast. Honestly reconsidering including those on the list, but at the time I was thinking there was at least one that was useful.

You should add a clause stating that it ignores the previous statement about only one curse at a time, just in case.
    I thought that was implied, as specific trumps general, but I'll make that more clear.

If you hit the same foe twice, will it double the penalties of the curse? Will it activate the same spell again on the same enemy?
    No. Just like the Duskblade's full attack channel, order of operations is make your full attack, then effect goes off on all enemies hit during the full attack.

I feel like you should up the uses that this consumes, although this is just my opinion.
    I think the new version makes it more adequately expensive. It's relatively cheap to put a small curse on everyone, but very expensive to put an awesome curse on everyone.

Seriously though, this class looks pretty cool. I like the multitude of different options you can pick for your presence and curse abilities. I'm sorry I couldn't offer any more help, this class seems almost completely finished and I couldn't think of anything to add. I guess if people someone doesn't have much to say about it, it can't be too bad.
    Thanks for the feedback. You definitely pointed out a few places I need to clean up or explain better, so it was more useful than you think. And of course any and all comments are always appreciated.

edit:
    How many curses do you get a day?
    Under the new system, Curses are at will. Your limitation is how many you can have active, rather than how many you can use in a day. It's a pretty jarring shift, but under the old paradigm, shifting Spells into curses meant having effectively infinite curses anyway, and really undermined the fun of the higher level features letting you apply your curses to multiple targets. I think this works better overall, though it probably seems stronger at a glance.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2014-01-06 at 06:34 PM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?