Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
Attacking a save is a weird mechanic and it throws off when actions take place. Making an attack takes a standard round so how does this fit in? I don't like giving a PC an extra action.
Making an attack takes an action. Using an attack roll in place of a save doesn't.
The bonus that is gained is pretty hefty. Would you allow a PC to have a +8 bonus to make a Reflex save as part of this Prestige Class? Granted I am VERY conservative when it comes to such thing but granting but this effectively means that a PC is making a save that includes her BAB in addition to her Str modifier which is probably higher than her Dex modifier.
Yeah, its a good ability. Strong, but not overly so.
Furthermore, this mechanic resembles the PC who announced, "I attack the darkness." This will no doubt lead to derision in some places when a character makes an attack to avoid the Reflex save to avoid catching fire. Just don't go there.
So like cutting a fireball in half? Seems reasonable and inline with the class's flavor.
Mind over Body means you make a Concentration check rather than a Fortitude save. A concentration check uses a similar mechanic to the save so it's not too dissimilar. A concentration check is your skill modifier and your ability modifier. It doesn't also add a BAB bonus.
Full ranks in a skill and full base attack bonus get you to the same place though. It's not unbalanced from a mechanical standpoint.

I am NOT of fan of using BAB in ways it was not intended. If you had wanted this to be a Strength check instead of a Reflex save that would be a lot more fair.
But a strength check makes it all but useless.

Cut The Air (Ex): Instead of making a Reflex save, a vorpal warrior can choose to make Strength check as long as she is holding a slashing weapon and use the result instead. If the check is successful, the vorpal warrior avoids the effect as if she had evasion.
Debby
But this will never work. Strength checks don't scale. As soon as the DC goes over 20 it's going to be very hard for this to do anything. The ability is better as is.