View Single Post

Thread: Little People (3.5 Fey, PEACH)

1. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Little People (3.5 Fey, PEACH)

Clurichaun's shillelagh does +1 to attack and damage. Damage modifier is now 0 not -1. The bonus cancels out the creature's strength penalty.

BTW a shillelagh is a club so just call it a shillelagh.

Attack: Shillelagh +1 melee (1d8)
    Full Attack: Shillelagh +1 melee (1d8)

You should probably change "under kept" to "unkempt" in this line: "As a result, their clothing (always blue, red, or mixture of both in color) is often under kept and old."

---------------------------

I can tell that the Far Darrig is a bit unbalanced.

For a creature that likes to play tricks, it is missing Sleight of Hand from its skills. I recommend swapping out Intimidate for Sleight of Hand. It fits the theme better and it isn't charisma-based. Conversely, you could swap out Disguise. Don't they always wear red? How is that a disguise?

I'll let you ponder which skill set would be better.

Next, it probably has too many special abilities for a 1 HD monster. One special attack and one special quality (other than those from Type, Subtype and Class if it has one) is generally sufficient, but that's not the issue. All those add to its CR. If the CR is higher than HD, you will end up with a "glass cannon," a creature who can dish out a lot of damage but can't take it. That's the real issue.

Damage reduction cold iron doesn't help against magic missile. A single sorcerer can take this out in 2 rounds. This is what I mean by a glass cannon. It just doesn't have enough hit points.

Since it is missing a feat, I recommend you give it Toughness to bump up the hit points. This will keep it from being so much of a glass cannon. I also don't recommend giving it any bonus feats. It is already overpowered.

The other issue is its spell-like abilities.

The DC for spell-like abilities is: 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier. The DCs should include the charisma penalty.

CL 17 for a 1 HD creature is ridiculous. It should be no higher than CL 1.

For creatures with spell-like abilities, a designated caster level defines how difficult it is to dispel their spell-like effects and to define any level-dependent variables (such as range and duration) the abilities might have.

Since dispel magic is a 3rd level spell, the CR rating is too low for a party to have that. Furthermore, there's no reason it needs 17 minutes of etherealness when 1 minute would be appropriate. Actually, I'm not convince this spell is at all appropriate.

Anyhow, you have etherealness at three times a day when it should be once a day since that is its strongest spell. Nightmare should be three times a day. Tactically this is more sound for the far darrig since its only range attack is its nightmare. HOWEVER I'm not sure why it would go to the ethereal plane in the first place. Dimension door would be a lot more appropriate.

Here's how I'd fix it (note that dimension door is a lower level spell than nightmare so it goes 3/day in this configuration):

Spell-like Abilities: At will—ghost sound (DC 9), ghost touch (DC 11); 3/day—dimension door; 1/day—nightmare (DC 14). Caster Level 1st.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2014-01-30 at 08:14 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread