1. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DM's campaign log- Wrath Of The Righteous (PF & spoliers!)

Hey Nibbens, glad to have you as a reader. About your question-

The idea is quite simple really. The system is mostly used for player defense rolls (Instead of monster attack rolls) and players spell/ ability roll (Instead of a monster saving roll). Anything else that involves a d20 quite follows the same thing. A few more small guidelines follow.

Defense roll
    The player rolls a 1d20+AC. The target number is 22+the monster's attack bonus. Reaching it means to have avoided the attack, not reaching it means you got hit. Criticals are on the lower spectrum of the d20 (1, 1-2, or 1-3 depending on the monster's attack usual threat range). players roll the damage done to them.

spell/ ability roll
    This is basically the same. The player rolls 1d20+Spell/ ability's DC. the target number is 22+ the monster's save bonus. Same rules.

(Don't ask me why it's 22, but it works. I've tried many attempts, and the probabilities are the same as in rolling normally. You can try, it works. Some math guys tried explaining it to me, but I'm no math wiz. It works anyway...)

About Skills
    Static skill checks are handled the same. For opposed skill checks I just let another person roll, but tell the bonus after it's rolled (Since then the character tested the difficulty of the task).

General rolls
    All kind of random rolls and such I either tell the players the possible outcomes up front, or if that is not possible, I make the beneficial results be the high ones, and the negative results the lower ones. The players all know that in my game, "High is Better than low".

Things to note:
    1) You basically means you can't fudge rolls. I suggest lowering slightly the difficulty when you start this, to get a hold of what is tough and what's not.
    2) Battles behave unexpectedly at times. A simple battle becomes extremely tough, or a tough battle a walkover. I find this is a great thing, which creates many unexpected and fun moments in the game.
    3) Players will probably become much more tactical, and often quite more involved. This is one of the most major benefits. They feel it is more... REAL in a way.

Good luck to you!
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2014-02-14 at 11:46 AM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!