Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
Level 20 character has 40 points.
Nope. Only 36.

+5 weapon costs 20 points. +5 armor costs 10 points. +5 resistance costs 10 points. You have no points left over for stat boosting.

For comparison, those 3 things as items would normally cost about 100,000 gold. About 1/8th of a 20th level character's wealth.
True. But you wouldn't flat-out buy a +5 sword, or suit of armor, would you? You'd get a cheap bonus to allow other effects, and spend your gold

Skill Expertise: You can get at most +26 to a single skill, by spending literally all of your expertise points on it. By comparison, a +30 skill item would normally cost 90,000 gold.
And is considered to be underpriced generally, correct?

Stuff in general seems overpriced. Skill Expertise is particularly bad. There is no exponential gains/costs (compare to wealth, which increases exponentially), and thus no incentive to diversify your abilities much at all beyond the hit dice limits imposed.
I generally wanted to be sue wasn't TOO cheap at first.

This also hurts martially focused characters more than anyone else. Casters happily take their free save and stat boosts and never look back. Mundanes who want to get their Weapons, Armor, Shield, Saves, and Stats boosted are basically screwed. Not to mention mundanes tend to be more MAD, and being able to grab cheap +stat items for secondaries is a pretty big deal, which you just made completely ineffective.

Now if you gave every class their own Expertise progression... that'd be a nice start. Fighters/Rogues/Monks getting something like 8 points per level, Wizards/Clerics/Druids cut down to 1 point per level.
I prefer to not give bonuses specifically based on classes. Thus, the suggestion of "Reduce costs for [Weapon prof] or [Skill list]", and not for Fighters specifically.

I suppose some things could use a cost reduction...

If you really want it to be the same for everybody, then give everybody all of the bonuses for free. The bonuses (other than the skill bonuses) really aren't optional, they're fundamental and assumed in the math of the game, and every character that wants those bonuses should just get all of them capped for their hit dice.

Are they, though? Weapon and armor wise, I disagree. Plenty of 20th level characters run around with +1 Effect, Effect, Effect weapons and armor.

Though yeah, I admit, +stats and saves are practically required.

Perhaps those prices could afford to be dropped a bit.

Maybe bump up to 3/level from 11-15, and 4/level for the rest, while slashing a few costs.

Resistance going down to 1 point springs to mind... As does making Skill drop to 2 points, and boost to +3....