Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
Quick moratorium on the ΔG, ΔS, and ΔH (though all that is becoming a lot clearer to me, I'm still pretty sure I'm gonna find a question or two when I start in on the homework)....

Head of the science department is teaching Analytical Chem next semester. From what I hear, it's only done every few years, the requirements are same as Organic Chem (>C in Gen Chem II), and the professor is really good at explaining things in a way I easily understand. Also, it sounds kinda fun. Assume there are no issues with scheduling. What advice do you guys have on taking
a.) both Organic and Analytical,
b.) Organic only, or
c.) Analytical only?
In my experience, most chemists loathe organic chemistry with a passion reserved for child molesters and people who talk in theatres.

Organic chemistry makes several assumptions about your basic chemistry knowledge - here's a good rundown of what's required. If you're a bit fuzzy on the fundamentals required, then you're going to struggle.

Analytical chemistry from the sounds of it, is mostly going to be focused on the techniques and methodology but some knowledge of the compound's chemistry is required to understand how the analysis work.

Knaight and Livius have more knowledge than me of the actual classes (British degree courses are significantly different to US ones), so I'd take whatever they say over me.